Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut Smith Selsted

Walnut Smith Selsted

At the prodding of another forum member I began looking into the Smith Selsted tweeters from this post:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=9871

I took the small sketch in the article, saw that the diaphragm is 1 in and scaled up to see what the size would be. It turns out the height of the horn scales to about 1/2", the same size as the opening on the 2404 ring radiator. So I cleaned up the sketch, made a pattern and duplicated the horn in walnut. Here is the result.
    Initial listening tests are very positive. My RTA unit is pretty worthless above 10khz, so I didn't even pull it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Here is the test setup

Hee, hee. I see those Minis there....

RIP 2009
    John - 'nice little horns! How low are they crossed over? And I see you finally got the grilles done for the mini's - cool!

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    How low are they crossed over?
    I was just giving them a trial run on these speakers. They are crossed over pretty low here, about 3k. I figured it was the best way to get an overall impression of there sound without a lot of coloration from other drivers.

John, you constantly amaze me... those are damned cute!

Widget

Very impressing.

Keep us posted on how they sound, and possibly as a UHF together with your 2397's.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Interestingly it seems to be roughly the size of Ken's Westlake tweeter horns, but it is narrower and Westlake omitted the vanes. From Ken's comments and measurements, I'd guess that your tweeter horn using the ring radiator will have better performance.

Do you have any 075 diaphragmed ring radiators? An impedance plot along with a FR curve of a 075 on one of these horns would be interesting....

Widget

The drivers in the picture are 2402, I think the diaphragms are original. I don't have the equipment to perform the tests, though.

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    The drivers in the picture are 2402, I think the diaphragms are original. I don't have the equipment to perform the tests, though.
    To remedy this, John sent a couple of his Micro Smith horns down to SF for me to run some tests on. One version has vanes and the other does not.

Since I needed a 2404 driver to test John's horns, I asked Zilch if I could borrow one... he graciously offered to lend me one.

To carry out these tests I used my recently upgraded CLIO rig... unfortunately I discovered after the conclusion of my tests and having put everything away that one of the new features, saving the plots directly as jpegs isn't terribly great. The images are slightly fuzzy and the color info has been discarded. I think the plots will still be useful. For subsequent plots I'll be saving them the old way which preserves the colors.

This first plot compares a stock 2404 with one of John's Micro Smiths with vanes. The plot shows how the 2404 is significantly more efficient, but also how to two curves are roughly similar.

Widget

Here are two plots... the first shows the polar response of a stock JBL 2404. (Whether you like the way they sound or not, their polar response is remarkable.) The second plot is of John's Micro with vanes... it's polar response is also pretty good.

This plot shows the vaned version with only on axis and 15 degrees off axis... I am posting this to more clearly show how well they track.

John also made a version of these Micro Smiths with no vanes.

Here is a plot comparing the vane version vs. the no vane version. Looking at this on axis comparison there doesn't seem to be much of a difference.

Here is the polar respose for the Micro Smith with no vanes... it seems to perform a bit better than the one with vanes. I have also posted a simplified on axis and 15 degree off axis plot.

To sum up... while these graphs look a bit rough, that is the nature of diffraction slots. For the most part the diffraction effect seems to be causing narrowband suck outs... these tend to be difficult to hear. While I did not set these tweeters up in a system and evaluate them subjectively, I have heard quite a number of tweeters under test over the years and these did sound a bit more natural than the baby butt cheek.

Oh yeah, and did I mention that John's tiny walnut tweeters are just about the cutest little critters I have ever seen!

Widget

Thread Information