Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homebrew Center channel speaker

Homebrew Center channel speaker

My previous home theatre/multimedia system consisted of a pair of l36 decades on top of the shelves in my icon, and a JBL EC25BE 2-way Dual 5-inch Center Channel speaker (Beech) to match the beech shelves. It worked fairly well, sitting directly above the TV. I have a pair of G20s (I think) mounted on the back wall for surround, and a cheap Sony amplified Sub on the front-side of the room. I only use the sub and rear surrounds for movies - my JVC receiver is smart enough to remember settings, it just plays the front left/right speakers for music use.

In February I got the big 4320 monitors and have rebuilt them, adding 2405 slot tweeters and update the crossovers to match.

But now during TV and movies, the center channel audio (dialog) is distinctly different than the front left or right that comes from the horns (2420s - aka L85s) and slots of the big boxes.

After reading about similar projects from many folks here, I figured it just made good sense to make the front wall audio more consistant - so I've obtained another 2405 slot and an LE85 driver with 2307 horn and I plan to use them for the front center channel. I just ordered the parts to build another of Giskard's 4333/S300/L300 equivalent bandbass circuit - (the regular, not the Charge Coupled design) see - http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...42&postcount=3I'm not in a rush to get another 15" just for center use - there should be plenty of Bass from the front left and right, the center is mostly dialog anyway.

I don't even think I really need to build a box for the compression drivers - maybe just a nice wooden tray to support them, tho it'd be nice to have a faceplate to velcro the lens to for the midhorn ...

I'll admit it - I've seen too many pictures of those Japanese collectors' systems with the exposed horns and lenses ... Geek tech!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hello hjames

What are you going to use below the Le-85/2307 combo??? You need something to fill in the 70Hz- 1200Hz gap unless I missed something.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    Hello hjames

What are you going to use below the Le-85/2307 combo??? You need something to fill in the 70Hz- 1200Hz gap unless I missed something.

Rob
    Yes, I haven't chosen anything yet ... I'd like to stay with something smaller
    not another 2215 - thats for sure ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

The way my center channel is wired, I can use the 2235 woofer as the center speaker's woofer (with a 175/075), or in parallel with the W15GTI used as a sub mounted in the same cabinet (but separated). I use it in this configuration on occasion when using some of the Yamaha surround sound settings that do not use the center channel. (Talk about some thump!)

If I switch to DD and forget to reset the combined sub to the center speaker position, the sound is obviously weird and you would not want to listen like this.

I think you will need to strike a balance, and a 15" woofer may be the only really good way to do it. Besides, the center channel is the most important channel for movies. Why short change yourself there?

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    The way my center channel is wired, I can use the 2235 woofer as the center speaker's woofer (with a 175/075), or in parallel with the W15GTI used as a sub mounted in the same cabinet (but separated). I use it in this configuration on occasion when using some of the Yamaha surround sound settings that do not use the center channel. (Talk about some thump!)

If I switch to DD and forget to reset the combined sub to the center speaker position, the sound is obviously weird and you would not want to listen like this.

I think you will need to strike a balance, and a 15" woofer may be the only really good way to do it. Besides, the center channel is the most important channel for movies. Why short change yourself there?

Well - there is the Spouse Acceptance Factor -
    There is no real room on the floor like in your home, and if I block any more of the window above the shelf ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

clmrt
    Get out the fly hardware and paint it white?

You might have the most difficult room to make a center work.

What's that you have up there now, (edit - I just read le post) and is your TT sitting on it?

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt
    Get out the fly hardware and paint it white?

You might have the most difficult room to make a center work.

What's that you have up there now, and is your TT sitting on it?
    The previous pix was from April -
    I just updated it with a picture from a few moments ago ...

I have the 4320 on the left - my old Denon turntable next to it.
    To the right is the JBL EC25BE center speaker - small, but it works - then some vases and art stuff, then the other 4320 on the far right.

All that sits on some 2000 CDs and a few less DVDs and videotapes -
    the LPs are in another room ...

I do have a Sony subwoofer on the floor against the right wall, and I figure to replace that with a JBL sub one day.

Or just toss the whole thing out there on ebay and get a pair of 4345s that Ian and Ducatista47 are so hot for ...
    why settle for 15s when you can have 18s ...

It might be a good idea to set the drivers on top of your cabinet before you get too far and see if the magnets on the LE85 effect your TV. There may be a need to increase the distance from the picture tube or otherwise provide some magnetic shielding.

I just acquired a pair of woofers from an L46 that would make an interesting center channel with your other drivers, something like this.

hi Heather:

Rob is right in that you'll need something below the 85's

I'll recommend using one or two E110's or their equivalents ( or two E120's)for the freq. below the compression driver.

I used TWO C35's for my center and the E-130 is excellent for the mid bass and lower midrange, I'm sure the E110's would be great to..

One important thing to remember, keep the horns all about the same horizonal level if you can so when something pans across it doesn't jump up and down. Below is a picture of the C35's when I was using them, notice that they were upside down and sitting on a pair of professionally made 2235's so that the horns would be at the same level as the horns on the 4430's, the 4430's were my left and rights.

By the way, how's old Boz Scaggs sound thru those speakers.

Good luck

PS Edited later: you may also try two 2118's, but I think the E110's ( or E120's)would match better with the 85's, you may have to tone it all down a little to match with your left and right. Those E speakers are really something.

you could use the following configuration.

E110 - LE85 ( tweeter above) - E110

Couldn't help myself... :)

Quote Originally Posted by John W
    It might be a good idea to set the drivers on top of your cabinet before you get too far and see if the magnets on the LE85 effect your TV. There may be a need to increase the distance from the picture tube or otherwise provide some magnetic shielding.

I just acquired a pair of woofers from an L46 that would make an interesting center channel with your other drivers, something like this.

Oh NO! Mr Bill!

Quote Originally Posted by John W

Precisely why I put the ports on the top and components low in the cabinet. I used to sit my Mits 45" table top on the cabinet. Even with components mounted low, there was still some minor color aberations.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames
    Oh NO! Mr Bill!

Look for a 4612 used

Quote Originally Posted by jbl4ever
    Look for a 4612 used

No no no - I'm trying to NOT go completely overboard with the geek-with-big-speakers style ... but really, if I put one more big speaker on top of the shelf, I may as well board up the window ...
    I mean - why not just get another 4320/4333? they'd match.

Thread Information