Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OPPO DV-981 HD - the smoke goes away ...

OPPO DV-981 HD - the smoke goes away ...

Last thing we did yesterday was watch some Netflicks via instant view on the TIVOHD.
    Came down for breakfast and noticed the OPPO was off, in red light mode - but - it was a bluish red color I hadn't seen before - kind of like the deep blue jewels I've seen on the tailights of some vintage cars.

Tried to power it up by hand - wouldn't change state - but I noticed it felt warm. I reached over the top so I could pull the power plug and realized it was hot - very hot right over the disc tray area. I cycled power manually - no change.

This is the player i got for about $100 as a closeout deal through WOOT July 16, 2008, and its been the only disc player in my main system, so I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of it. Of course, it didn't retail at $100 - more like $249 or so ...

Its still very sad ... I think the magic smoke has gotten away!

Power cable is unplugged, so power is off now - I suspect I need a new multidisc player -
    My budget is UNDER $500 - so if I get another OPPO, that lets out the $900 SE ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Oppo has discontinued all of the players listed on their website except the 83SE due to "shortage of major components", doesn't sound too promising for the brand. They supposedly have a 93 coming out, but with the 83 only surviving a year or so before being scrapped, seems like they have some issues to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Oppo has discontinued all of the players listed on their website except the 83SE due to "shortage of major components", doesn't sound too promising for the brand. They supposedly have a 93 coming out, but with the 83 only surviving a year or so before being scrapped, seems like they have some issues to overcome.
    We are Oppo dealers... they told us this would be happening. The problem is that Sony discontinued the optical drive that Oppo has been using. No drives, no players... They will be introducing 3-D capable players when their next gen arrives. Will they be as good as the 83 series? Hopefully.

As far as getting two years from a player at low cost... I think that is just a terrible thing. Now you have a pile of toxic waste. Had it been a Bryston, you would have paid more, much more, but you'd have it for decades and the precious metals used inside, fuels used in manufacturing and shipping as well as the plastics wouldn't have been expended for such a brief service life.

Rant Over.

Widget

Which model of Bryston universal player would fit the bill here (except the under $500 part, of course)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    The problem is that Sony discontinued the optical drive that Oppo has been using. No drives, no players...
    Once again no reliance on Sony. SACD, BluRay anybody?

Well, from what I've read, this is not an uncommon problem with this unit - Apparently its a power supply board failure - not too hard to fix,. if I can get parts ...

Of course, I'm STILL being danced around with the Harman krappy AVR7300 repair that no one seems able to resolve .... even tho Harman shipped the "unavailable" parts to the factory Service center near me.

Then again, the Oppo was MUCH cheaper.

We DID go to Costco this morning for Emma's replacement contact lenses ... so I looked at their DVD players ... most everything was in the $40 to $200 range - but - none for me ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Which model of Bryston universal player would fit the bill here (except the under $500 part, of course)?
    I hoped it was obvious that I didn't mean Bryston literally as they don't make any DVD players... and finding a true high quality DVD player from anyone is a near impossibility. It is a shame we live in a "toss it in the landfill" world. Basically it because of this that companies like Bryston and Pass Labs avoid entering into certain product areas.

Widget

Well, for a surprising change - I emailed OPPO customer service to see if I could get a power supply board so I could replace it myself, knowing its long out of warranty, since I bought it July 16, 2008.

They wrote back IMMEDIATELY and said I could just buy an out of warranty repair ticket for $49, (paypal accepted) ship it back to them and they'd do they work and return ship it to me when its fixed.

Wow, now THAT'S the way to make your customers happy! No landfill for them!

Not like Emotiva or Harman.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    They wrote back IMMEDIATELY and said I could just buy an out of warranty repair ticket for $49, (paypal accepted) ship it back to them and they'd do they work and return ship it to me when its fixed.

Wow, now THAT'S the way to make your customers happy! No landfill for them!
    I agree that is very good customer service... how many people who bought $100 DVD players will avail themselves of it though when there are so many brand new players ready to be picked up below $100?

I hope more people will, but I am doubtful.

Widget

I have had exemplary service from OPPO on two occasions. The second one they paid shipping both ways and took care of out of warranty service. The first was in warranty service with the same treatment.

Got an email from OPPO about 4PM today, my machine had arrived and was being repaired:

" Your product will be tested for the described problem, repaired (or replaced if necessary), and tested again. Additionally, your product will be cleaned and the latest firmware installed if needed. Typical turnaround time is 1 to 2 business days, depending on the problem. When we ship your product back, you will receive a shipment notification e-mail with tracking information. " and some other stuff ...

About 9PM this evening I got an email from OPPO saying they were done with repairs and it was on the way back ... return shipping was part of the $49 I paid for the repairs.

What an amazing bit of customer service - what a great company!

Its quite refreshing, after the silly season with that new $700 Emotiva preamp/Processor that I bought and returned 3 weeks later,
    and the AVR7300 I'm STILL trying to get repaired.
    Authorized factory service still can't fix it, and because I don't have the original carton/packing anymore,
    and its a heavy monster, I've got to do my robust packing with 1" thick foamboards and ship it back to CA for repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    What an amazing bit of customer service - what a great company!
    I agree and appreciate your sharing this info... we have been selling quite few Oppos because of their value and this experience will encourage us to suggest them even more.

Widget

If this helps any, I bought my 83SE direct from OPPO with some acc's and they were right on schedule with everything. Very helpful on the phone about updates as well!

This player has out performed my Denons and Pioneer Bluray's and is WORLDS faster at loading.

A Very nice player/company for an affordable price!
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    If this helps any, I bought my 83SE direct from OPPO with some acc's and they were right on schedule with everything. Very helpful on the phone about updates as well!

This player has out performed my Denons and Pioneer Bluray's and is WORLDS faster at loading.

A Very nice player/company for an affordable price!
    When mine first died, I considered buying their regular BDP unit (not the strippo, and not the SE) - the SE is too pricey for my budget this close to Christmas. But then I found nearly all of them are out of production due to a shortfall in transports.

Ah well, maybe next year - Blueray isn't that compelling yet for me to buy $30-40 DVDs instead of $8 DVDs

Hi Heather!!

I got mine because I was tired of my $1500+ players taking a Sh!$.

I already have a collection of BD roms so I am kinda there. I was also dismayed by the fact that OPPO seems to be the only multi player that will play SACD.

Anyhoo I am glad that for less than a night out you were able to get your player fixed!!
    Always fun learning more.......

Thread Information