Thread: BX63

BX63

Hello,
    Could anybody be so kind and tell me about the quality of the BX63 filter?
    Thanks
    Ingemar

BX63 Questions

Hi Ingemar,

I don't have a BX63 ( or a BX63a ) but when I want to gather opinions on such matters, I usually first read any "archived" information on the subject . To do this, I'll use the "SEARCH ENGINE" that's built into this site .

- To try this, simply type ; BX63 into the data window called "Search by Keyword" and Giskard into the data window called "Search by Username" .
    - Select the button ; "Show the Results as Posts" .
    - Search in all "open forums" .
    - I did this search and found 28 posts ( of varying relevancy ) on the BX63.

A quick read of these results ( the posts & the threads ) show that the sonics of the BX63 can be improved by adding .001 bypass caps to the BX63(s)' existing capacitors in the hipass section .

Also, be aware, when you find a relevant thread ( even when it's old & buried ) , when one adds a new question into it, the thread is reactivated and "jumps to the top of the recent postings list", for everyone to read ( and maybe respond to ) . This would have been a reasonable approach to take since you have an older/existing thread using the same title .

Here is a singlularly good post obtained from my own search .

I have two BX63 "A" versions in seperate systems paired with 2245H subs. One has Dynaudio 3 ways on top, the other has JBL 4408's....I left one stock, and the other one I replaced the hi pass caps with some early Siderealkaps I had saved...similar, but not exactly like the newer Auricaps ( one of the same designer's, I beleive)...smoother, more detail over the stock polyprope with polystyrene bypass.....anyhoo, you definitley want the "A" version, with adjustable low pass....the origonal is stuck at 63hz.....the good news is: it is the only crossover I have found that blends the drivers well, but you have to adjust the frequency...I even changed the value of high pass caps in one to a slightly higher rolloff, and got a better blend, more like 90HZ, as apposed to 60-70hz....the bad news is: I have only seen about 5 of these units forsale in the last few years, including the ones I bought...and the last one on Epay just sold for $282 plus shipping. I paid over $200 for one, and over $100 for the other a few years back....Perhaps I went on too long, but the answer is, they are great, quiet, never had a problem, do what they were designed to do...but they belong with a 2235 or 2245 only in the correct box and tuning, because the crossover includes a boost circuit centered at 26 hertz.... but that's another long ramble... I love mine, can you tell

Thank you very much for the long and detailed answer.
    Ingemar

Invalid User specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Hi Ingemar,

I don't have a BX63 ( or a BX63a ) but when I want to gather opinions on such matters, I usually first read any "archived" information on the subject . To do this, I'll use the "SEARCH ENGINE" that's built into this site .

- To try this, simply type ; BX63 into the data window called "Search by Keyword" and Giskard into the data window called "Search by Username" .
    <snip>

Invalid User specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Ruediger

Quote Originally Posted by Ruediger View Post

Ruediger
    oh - thats an old name - try UserID jbl4313 instead
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Hi Ingemar,

- Select the button ; "Show the Results as Posts" .
    - Search in all "open forums" .
    - I did this search and found 28 posts ( of varying relevancy ) on the BX63.

A quick read of these results ( the posts & the threads ) show that the sonics of the BX63 can be improved by adding .001 bypass caps to the BX63(s)' existing capacitors in the hipass section .

Also, be aware, when you find a relevant thread ( even when it's old & buried ) , when one adds a new question into it, the thread is reactivated and "jumps to the top of the recent postings list", for everyone to read ( and maybe respond to ) . This would have been a reasonable approach to take since you have an older/existing thread using the same title .

Here is a singlularly good post obtained from my own search .

Quote Originally Posted by Ruediger View Post

Ruediger
    oh - that's an old name - try Username jbl4313 instead
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    oh - that's an old name - try Username jbl4313 instead

or mebbe even try 4313B , he's good too.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...r.php?15-4313B
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    or mebbe even try 4313B , he's good too.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...r.php?15-4313B
    Thanks - got called away mid-thought - shoulda known better ...

but - don't make it tooooo easy!
    he may be in stealth mode ...

It seems to me that the BX-63 is just a filter and most of its properties could be replicated using eq if you have enough bands or parametric cabilities.

There are plenty of people on this forum who have them. If someone had one, pumped white/pink noise though it, and ran the output directly to a display, those major areas of impact could be flushed out and those without BX-63s, or maybe with more modern or "cleaner" equipment, could replicate, for the most part, what they need to "inject" into their sonic pathway to approximate what JBL had intended. Could maybe even do a sticky.

But I ain't got one so I can't do it.

Thread Information