Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP WHAT IS THIS?

HELP WHAT IS THIS?

All it says on the bottom is "UNIPHASE SP-8000"
    newport Beach Ca

I got it at a thrift store there was only one but i bought it anyway dont know what to make of it yet i auditioned it in the driveway the thing is HEAVY like 100+ lbs the globe is fiberglass and has 8 philcos in it 40" tall to top of globe 15" woofer and 14"globe dunno what the woofer is yet but VERY thick cone. sounded cool 360 dgree sound used a Dual 1229 and an old 30wpc Stromberg Carlson

id like to find out SOMETHING about it i can find NOTHING on the internet at all anyone??????
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Free Electrons make the music!!!!

Obviously...it's a "Uniphase SP-8000"...what's wrong with you? You've never heard of that?

Me neither !

Kind of a variation of the dBX "Soundfield.

Maybe someone over at AudioKarma.org would know. Theirs lots of people over there that might know. Maybe you've already been there....but here ya go.

Here's a link:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

thanks

actually i posted over there first and got a few responses but no info im detrinmened to find SOMETHING since even if only 10 pair were made they were obviosly an"audiophile" product and i live in southern california so i will hopefully find out something somewhere! the bummer is i only got the one

Hi Mark,

I'm in La Habra so not too far away. Pull one of the Phillips dome tweeters out and see if there is a date code on it. That would put the units date of production in play and I can check my Audio Magazine Equipment directories of that era to see if anything shows up. Also, do you have a pic of the ID plate or connector area? That might help.

Regards,

Bart

Bang&olafson made something simalar, altough with a smaller ball. It was in the seventies and eighties a trend to make speakers with a room wide soundfield, like the Bose shit, it did not work anyway, all recordings where mixed on a normal stereo speaker system.

GRG

ok ill post a pic

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ds23man
    Bang&olafson made something simalar, altough with a smaller ball. It was in the seventies and eighties a trend to make speakers with a room wide soundfield, like the Bose shit, it did not work anyway, all recordings where mixed on a normal stereo speaker system.

GRG
    well mabey ill pump quad briged thru it and ill get uniphase quadraphenia!!

The darn thing looks like a Weber grill standing over an ash pit.

It is so bizarre that I wish I had one. Oops. Now the feeling is gone.

(I probably would have bought it, too.)
    Out.

Looks like pre R2D2

A fellow named Jack Strelioff did some amplifier design work with John Bedini many years ago. He also built speakers somewhat similar to these, with 360 degree tweeter arrays, probably in the 1970s. A buddy had a pair of them. Not sure if there is any relation to this one, though.

B&O Beovox 2500

Hi ds23man!

The product you are referring to is Bang & Olufsen Beovox 2500. They were in production from 1967 to 1970. My pair looks like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

These I mean, do you also have the low cabinets?

GRG

Beovox 5000

Yes, I also have the loudspeakers the Beovox 2500s are intended to complement. Here is a description of them:
    http://www.beocentral.com/products/bvox5000-3
    I furthermore have the B&O Beolab 5000 amplifier, the B&O Beomaster 5000 tuner, and the B&O Beocord 2400 reel-to-reel tape machine.

Some things that are only supposed to effect short term memory may effect long term memory also, so I'm out on a limb here. Especially since the name uniphase doesn't ring any bells.There was a company that put out sort of copys of 901's and they also put out sort a sphere that was another variation on the "sweet sixteen" (sixteen, nine what's it matter Omar wasn't first) I can't remember their name but I think they ended up associated with audio technica. Probably a lead to nowhere. Until the top came off I thought it was an ESS or an Ohm.

cool!

Im lovin all this input!!! i may just throw it up on Ebay and see if that generates any interest. but it would be local pickup only as its gotta weigh 80- 100 lbs

Thread Information