Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL S312II

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    They should be covered with vinyl laminate. At lease I know the baffles are. Pretty much any type household wax product will shine them up.
    I just took the feet off the bottom, and can confirm that it is MDF with a vinyl finish. Any suggestions on a good wax that will cover up the scratches? Also, will the wax layer help with the fading paint problem? I see that the finish looks great until the dampness dries out, so I'm hoping something that keeps it looking shiny will cover that up too, but not sure...

Vinyl like contact paper? On a pair of Infinity speakers I acquired with black vinyl I used Zymol Vinyl, an automotive treatment for dashboards, etc. You could try ArmorAll and the like, or products for bumpers and exterior trim like Back-to-Black, etc. I also used black shoe polish on the scratches.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Vinyl like contact paper? On a pair of Infinity speakers I acquired with black vinyl I used Zymol Vinyl, an automotive treatment for dashboards, etc. You could try ArmorAll and the like, or products for bumpers and exterior trim like Back-to-Black, etc. I also used black shoe polish on the scratches.
    I ended up picking up "Minwax Water Based Express Color Wiping Stain & Finish" in Onyx from the local hardware store. Applied it with one of those sponge applicator brushes and wiped off the excess gently with a clean rag. Letting it dry now. Scratches and the faded paint is no longer visible. Onyx was a good color match to the originals. Will update with a few pics when everything is dried and a few days have passed.

Anything with UV protection is a plus, since UV is the enemy of vinyl. Automotive products tend to offer some UV protection.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Anything with UV protection is a plus, since UV is the enemy of vinyl. Automotive products tend to offer some UV protection.
    Name:  JBL S312 Before After.jpg
Views: 4330
Size:  81.9 KB
    Not sure if there was any UV protection in this product, but I'm very happy with the results. See attached photo.Name:  JBL S312 Before After.jpg
Views: 4330
Size:  81.9 KB

Thread Information