Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else use Marantz with their JBLs?

Quote Originally Posted by alexkerhead View Post
    Anyone else use marantz with their JBLs?

I have a 2270 on my stock set of L100s and a 2265B on my modded set of L100s.
    JBL S2600 with Marantz Esotec SM6 and SC6 = match made in heaven

I'm not a Marantz expert but if you're trying to put youselfs in the company of those elitests who once ran Marantz because they picked them over Mac, I only heard a couple of marantz modlels listed. I think the 19 a reciever was the last Marantz made. Unless you want to count what carries the name fischer name today as fiischer (it's not) the rest of you, for better or worse are running Superscope or something that followed because I quit following at superscope. Marantz in it's day, was not just another name it was special, but if I'm not mistaken, all of the four digit model numbers are like JBL today. Today just because it says JBL doesn't mean it's junk. If it says Marantz on the front and "made in USA" on the back it's Marantz. If it says made in japan on the back it's something that Superscope threw together in a hurry because they had lost their license as sole distributer of Sony in the USA and needed a product fast. That doesn't mean that it isn't any good. It just means it isn't a Marantz.

Maron Horonzakz
    Thom ....The Tushinsky Bros. (Superscope) Ran the Marantz product into the ground at most every price point. Nothing but trouble in the service dept. When Phillips took over thing improved. The Esotec line was well made. Ill take a dozen Esotec Marantz units over one Tushinsky Marantz unit anyday. The present Marantz Co. is putting out a excellent product and has pulled out of the dark days.

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by duaneage View Post
    I also have a 2235B in my garage. I like it but the "loudness" feature adds way too much bass boost. I do like the midrange tone control. None of the panel lights work so finding a radio station is a challange. For 35 watts it does quite well.
    You can buy replacement bulb kits for your Marantz receiver from this guy:

http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/vlampkits.html

The 2235B kit is $18.75.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    If it says Marantz on the front and "made in USA" on the back it's Marantz. If it says made in japan on the back it's something that Superscope threw together .
    untrue. look at the backs of the classic 22xx and 44xx series receivers and amps....MADE IN JAPAN. Of all the classic Marantz equipt that I've seen, none had been made in USA. except the speakers.

yes, the Superscope ones are EZ to spot and much inferior build quality.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Ok, maybe it's a good thing that I said I'm not a Marantz expert. I did a little research so I could give you a link that would explain why you're mistaken and it seems you're not exactly. Marantz apparently started out quite special, maybe like Levinson ( from recent research, not memory) building very special tube (what else then) seperates. Superscope bought him out way back in '64 but he was still part of the company. They made the first reciever (from several sources).

The model 19, (not the first reciever) a 50 watt reciever that sold for $1000.00 was the last piece of gear that
    Saul Marantz had a hand in designing. I guess for a while some models were made here and some were made in japan. I know the 19 was American, they had other recievers much more powerful that cost less. I think the 4 digit numbers indicated import, I'm not sure. What I read today has high regard for these and their quality but people I knew at the time said :thats not really Marantz. I know for a fact that for a while they were selling two tiers of at least pricing if not quality, but I guess I stand corrected, but a 2215 is not a Model 19.

Maron Horonzakz
    Saul Marantz bought a small mfg. co in Japan. Standard Radio of Japan. When the 10B tuner was made (USA) it almost broke him. Then he sold the Marantz Co to Tushinsky Bro. Superscope for 17 million. He left about 1967 ...Standard radio became part of Phillips. Standard radio bought back the Co. (Marantz) & Marants products are still mfg. there. Thay are now part of DM holding Co. Dennon/Marantz. I understand McIntoch has joined the DM holding org. Saul Marantz later joined forces with a small speaker co. Dahlquist... Saul introduced a new preamp at the CES (chicago) Called Lineage. designed by John Curl about 1991 but the effert failed. Thats the last time i saw Saul Marantz.

D&M Holdings owns Marantz, Denon, Boston Acoustics, Snell and Mcintosh. I wonder if in 15 more years it won't just be 5 big corporations who own 95% of the audio brands.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Shuster View Post
    D&M Holdings owns Marantz, Denon, Boston Acoustics, Snell and Mcintosh. I wonder if in 15 more years it won't just be 5 big corporations who own 95% of the audio brands.
    For the most part, competition in all industries keeps getting less and less.
    30 years ago there were how many oil companies, too many to name. Now in the US there is really only about 5 left.
    In CE look how many are under the Harman name. Must be near 20, consumer and pro combined.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    30 years ago there were how many oil companies, too many to name.
    Wasn't that because the government broke up Standard Oil in the 1900's?

Wink Just to get this straight

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    ...look at the backs of the classic 22xx and 44xx series receivers and amps....MADE IN JAPAN.
    This is from another unit that I've had for almost 30 years. At least it mentioned to be designed in the U.S.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Maron Horonzakz
    Shane.....You mean like Harmon Industries. That would be great.... I believe there are too many audio companys now scamming the costomers. How about a Mcpingo Puck speaker.

I just picked up an old Marantz 1060 (with wood cabinet) on ebay. Should be a nice piece for a small secondary stereo system. However, I'm going to use it as a preamp for a while in place of my Phase Linear 4000 Series Two (which I love by the way). This is in a tri-amped system with a mix of tube and SS amps, as well as a variety of JBL speakers. I'm curious to see if there is a noticable sonic difference between the 1060 and the PL4000. The 1060 was kinda cool in that you can use it as an amp or preamp.

Actually I did quite a bit of reading to prove myself correct. Unfortunatly it didn't exactly do that, but I'm going to guess it's because I was going on what people were saying 30+ years ago when it was happening and what I was able to read was loooking back from now. For instance my first reaction was to say of course your 22xx model Marantz was made in japan it's not a classic Marantz. Well this was the truth 30 years ago. Today it's the truth to some but to others it's not. From what I could read, and remember this isn't what I was looking for. I was looking for back up, and this isn't. When Superscope took over, they actually bought in 64' but Marantz stayed on for years, everybody thought they would run it in the ground and ,according to what I could find, the product actualy held up untill it was sold to Philips. Certainly not what I would have expected. 9 I would have associated the phillips name with quallity more than superscope)Marantz had been having some of the product made by Standard but Superscope actually bought standard. I do know that the Flagship items were made here, the very last being the model 19.I only read all this because I had been corrected and was sure I was right and nothing or almost nothing that I read backed me up so I kept on reading. I don't like being wrong, but I really don't want to be wrong and keep on repeating the same thing anyway.

Right up until the mid seventies, Marantz continued to produce excellent high-end and mid-range HiFi. But towards the end of the decade, the company found itself struggling in an increasingly competitive marketplace and in 1980, Superscope sold the rights to the Marantz brand, the dealership and all overseas assets (except USA and Canada) to Royal Philips Electronics, the Dutch consumer electronics giant. Confusingly, the Superscope ‘Marantz’ brand continued to market its own low-cost products in the US and Canada right up until 1992 when Philips also acquired the rights and dealership for North America.

------------------------------------------------------

can we argue about REAL JBL now ????

when Ed May left JBL he went to Marantz and designed speakers for 3 years before he died.

so what is REAL JBL ?? only those products designed by James B. himself ?????

http://www.quarter-a.netfirms.com/history.htm

http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cfm...cont=eu&bus=hf

http://us.marantz.com/AboutUs/57.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marantz

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mpa.html

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html

http://www.superscopetechnologies.co...ehistory.shtml
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information