Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else use Marantz with their JBLs?

Quote Originally Posted by alexkerhead
    Indeed, a great description.

I do not think, with todays goal of low costing stuff that we will ever find stuff as good as back then. Companies(even JBL) are cheaping up their stuff to a point where the sound is gravely compromised.
    I wish they sold the JBL stuff they make in Japan over here, because they still make excellent stuff in Japan. Which is the last of a dying breed of excellent audio.
    Its like everything else these days made for the U.S. market. They say we dont care about quality, iPod is good enough!

They say all we want is convenience easy to use items, iPod fits this description!

Top quality materials and engineering cost lots of money, and isnt condusive to manufacturing cost effective, mass produced goods.

Theres yet another side to this as well. I sometimes feel much of what was done years ago, is not known today and the skills and recipes for manufacturing what they did back then has been lost.

Years ago, things were built to work and sound a certain way, and to last a long time.

Then of course, there is the fact that they tell us what we like in that vintage sound is technically incorrect, and gremlin distortions at work. I know this happens to be true, but, certain things just sounded like music.

But mostly I feel they dont produce super high quality products that are affordable because they are making too much money selling toaster oven quality junk!

And for me, this is really very unfortunate, as I grew up in the last era of when " American Made " meant you were buying the BEST!

I must say that as I am in the process of refurbishing my vintage sound system, and its in a buisiness, and I have recently done a few things using ancient gear, you really should see the look on peoples faces when they hear great music in my place, especially considering that the audio companies tell us no one can hear the difference!

I get alot of comments from ordinary people that say otherwise!

Two statements I hear on a regular basis is " How do you get it to sound like that? " and " My God, Thats sooo Clear, its like they are right here in the room playing live " !

Gotta love capitalism!

:dont-know
    scottyj

I have D series Crowns operating in here that are from 1978, and not only do they still work, they sound good.

That is the ultimate testament to well made products because my system works 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, March thru September!

I keep trying to change and modernize, and put newer amps in place of the DC-300A,s, and no new technology amp that I have found makes low end like that antique DC-300A on my fifteens! Bottom end has weight, punch, tone, and definition!

scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by alexkerhead
    Not the northridge series.
    I am talking about the ones in the same line as the everest, but not anything like it, but they aren't sold here in the US.
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...815#post107815

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/produc...ome/index.html

Sure wish they sold those here in the US

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by alexkerhead View Post
    Anyone else use marantz with their JBLs?

I have a 2270 on my stock set of L100s and a 2265B on my modded set of L100s.
    I have a set of Control 5's being powered by a Marantz 2235B for my storage room rig. Outstanding little receiver!

Quote Originally Posted by JBL Dog View Post
    I have a set of Control 5's being powered by a Marantz 2235B for my storage room rig. Outstanding little receiver!
    I also have a 2235B in my garage. I like it but the "loudness" feature adds way too much bass boost. I do like the midrange tone control. None of the panel lights work so finding a radio station is a challange. For 35 watts it does quite well.

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by duaneage View Post
    I also have a 2235B in my garage. I like it but the "loudness" feature adds way too much bass boost. I do like the midrange tone control. None of the panel lights work so finding a radio station is a challange. For 35 watts it does quite well.
    Yup, those 2200 series Marantz receivers are notorious for having lights go out. I only have one burned out so I'm still in good shape! One of these days I'll rip it apart and replace all the lights.

Quote Originally Posted by alexkerhead View Post
    Anyone else use marantz with their JBLs?
    No

[quote=alexkerhead;128703]Anyone else use marantz with their JBLs?
    quote]

yup, I run Marantz HD770s as rears for my 4410s. Perfect fill. They give me a low end that the JBLs dont quite have. And as an Ed May design, they are very nice on their own, too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    I have D series Crowns operating in here that are from 1978, and not only do they still work, they sound good.

That is the ultimate testament to well made products because my system works 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, March thru September!

I keep trying to change and modernize, and put newer amps in place of the DC-300A,s, and no new technology amp that I have found makes low end like that antique DC-300A on my fifteens! Bottom end has weight, punch, tone, and definition!

Scott, I have a vintage DC300A sitting around, not sure what I'm going to end up using it for. I have some info stored somewhere, but I believe my hesitation was from hearing that it's pretty important to have something protecting the speakers from these amps failing & taking out whatever's running off them. We'll see...

je

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

yup, I run Marantz HD770s as rears for my 4410s. Perfect fill. They give me a low end that the JBLs dont quite have. And as an Ed May design, they are very nice on their own, too.
    I always wanted to try a pair of those. Maybe someday.
    Can't go wrong with Ed May Design.

Marantz + JBL

Marantz & JBL ?!?!?! What a perfect fit !! In the 70's around my town, those were the two names that got people's attention .... and if someone had both names combined in their sound system, it was nothing but envy from everyone else. I finally fell victim myself in 1977 & 78 ....... and got this stuff:

http://www.audioheritage.org/photopo...500&ppuser=624
    Dave Lyons - Zanesville, Oh = L300, L36, L40,
    L100a & L100a Century, J2050, S36AWII

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    Two statements I hear on a regular basis is " How do you get it to sound like that? " and " My God, Thats sooo Clear, its like they are right here in the room playing live " !
    Everyone who comes in my house and hears either the L212s or the new Studio L890s and have either never heard them before or not in a while will say the same thing, "how clear they sound". I tell them that's the JBL sound.
    But back to the topic: I have a Marantz 880 receiver connected to 3 L55s in the MB, sounds good. Used to have the 880 connected to the L212s in the HT, which also had a good sound. But the new H/K 635 is a better match for the L212s. And that's not getting into the fact that the H/K has Logic 7 that the Marantz does not have.

pbda
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBEE View Post
    I used to use a Marantz 2235 with my Paragon. Then I started running a Fisher 500C Tube receiver thru it and I sold the Marantz.
    Currently using a 2325 with my L100s, but likewise have tried my Fisher 500C with very fine results.

Maron Horonzakz
    I have eight monoblock Marantz Esotec MA-5 amps....Useing six in a triamp mode configuration......30 watt class A or switchable to 120 watt AB ....Pioneer series 20 D23 electronic xover. I wish i could find more in the Marantz Esotec line.

Thread Information