Thread: Speaking of CATS.....

Speaking of CATS.....

While reading another thread- this part of a post hit home.

"Those ports look big enough to stuff your arm or leg into. I hope you didn't lose a cat in there!

Bart"

We have indoor cats that dont see strangers too often, a couple of them try to run and HIDE when the UPS man comes or someone they dont know.
    Due to room size limitations I had to lay my thirteen foot folded horns on their sides - Just for protection I put a pair of those stamped steel speaker protectors over the drivers being they were close to "feet-N-claws".
    I never had a problem with the cats ever trying to go into the (JBL 4520) horns, that is untill they were on their sides (I use the 4520's for the LFE while in 5.1 mode). One day a cat got scared by a visitor and into one of the horns they disappeared!!! (let me tell you you can get in there yourself but can only get your arm around the first bend!) next thing I think of pounding on the cabinet to scare the cat out... BAD IDEA ... I soon hear claws on the back of the lower cone trying to climb up ,then sounds from the upper cone.... I was the fastest gun in the west with that philips screwdriver to pull a driver and end this nightmare!.
    Got the cat out and the next day went to H.D. and got me some of that tough pet-proof screening to stapel into the last fold of the horn, I have no idea what JBL used for the bent plywood in the last curve of the eponential horn.... but I found out it is HARD and resists a strong staple gun very well. I thought I had things covered - till next time got a stranger and when the cat went flat-faced up against the new screen....it climbed the screen and a scared 21 pound cat CAN pull staples!!! really fast!! The next thing I know is I am hearing the "cat climbing cones" noise Out with the philips and out with the cat . Needless to say I restapled the screening but knew I had to go to a more drastic solution (especially when I was about to get those two drivers reconed now!) so here is the final solution.
    I took two pieces of dense 1/2" partical board 4' X 3' -- made my layout, got out the router and went to work.
    -- the driver cutouts may look uncentered but that's just the angle I took the pics at....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    audition - noun The sense, ability,
    or "power of hearing".

Before painting flat black...
    or "power of hearing".

Masking off to get an even strip of adhesive.....
    or "power of hearing".

Some cardboard to protect the grille cloth....
    or "power of hearing".

A trim of the excess fabric when finished.........
    And a cat hasnt made it in since! (yes just in case I left the screening just in case for the times I may have the grills off) I also made grills for the JBL 4518's at the top, but with only 3 inches to the cieling there was never a scare about the cats for them.
    Mark
    or "power of hearing".

And I thought I was crazy with my "Wall O" Sound".
    Nice setup!

I've got German Shepherds, They won't fit in any of the holes.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Good thing I have no cats.

I have a lot of 4", 5" and 6" ports all over my house!

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

You have made a fine work!

If you got a problem, tell me what it is ...
    just joking.

I know that feeling -by the looks of your pic!
    or "power of hearing".

The vintage TV is a nice touch, is that a Motorola?

Yes it is a Motoroloa "Golden View" .....one that a whole room of people huddled together to marvle at the huge magical "oval masked" 7 inch tube! the picture tube hadn't even progressed to have a yoke in those days.....
    I dont know how it migrated into my "modern day room" it should have stayed in the yesteryear room with the other antique TV's etc....... but I just couldnt help myself........ there is such a contrast from then to nowdays, Isn't there? Mark
    or "power of hearing".

I used to have a pair of those cabs. Would have thought an 1812 overture would have removed the cat. Had a neighbor come over one day and ask me if I could play it again. She said she thought she finally had her china arranged so it wouldn't rattle but wanted to make sure. What do you have them loaded with. I thought mine were awsome but I never had them in a room with what you have. How do they hold up. Do they still stand out or do your monitors age them. I really think they are like nothing I ever heard but like I said I never had the advantage of playing them with more modern top end stuff. I keep wanting to build another pair but I have a 61 inch tv and they would fit in my room wioth that tv about as good as that tv would fit in yours. Let me know how they stack up against the more modern stuff. They'r supposed to be all over with about 40 hz but they sure didnt sound like it to me.

Thread Information