Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What music have you purchased lately?

What music have you purchased lately?

I was just wondering what you have actually purchased for yourself lately. Here are some I've picked up over the last month or so.

On Vinyl:
    Donald Fagen - Morph the Cat
    B&W Sampler - Very Audiophile New Recordings
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    Kenny Burrell - Blue Midnight
    Dave Brubeck w/Carmen McRae - Tonight Only!
    Rickie Lee Jones - Pop Pop

On CD:
    Herbie Hancock - Cantaloupe Island
    Django Reinhardt - Jazz in Paris
    Josh Turner - Your Man

Beach Boys.

Beach Boy's Pet Sounds on DVD-A. Pure American Genious!
    Paying debt to Karma...

LP

The Springfield Rifle ~ Self titled debut LP
    The Boys ~ Live at the Roxy in 77
    Moon Martin ~ Escape from domination promo only 12 inch

CD
    Style Council ~ Introducing (Replacment for a lost one )
    Neu ~ 1

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by briang
    Beach Boy's Pet Sounds on DVD-A. Pure American Genious!
    IYO, does it improve on the CD? I'd like to get the DVD-A, but the CD is pretty nice.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    IYO, does it improve on the CD? I'd like to get the DVD-A, but the CD is pretty nice.
    In many respects it equals the stereo version and in some respect the DVD-A exceeds it (instruments seem more distinct/discreete/separated in the 5.1 mix).

IMHO, the producer/engineers did not over do the 5.1 like so many other 5.1 recordings do (I guess the novelty is difficult to not play with).

The rear channels are used to enhance the experience with the right ambience and proper delay. The only weakness I note is that some of the vocal harmony is slightly over done in the rear channels shifting the vocal stage a bit too deep into the room; but the overall effect is one of proper spaciousness and instrument/track separation. Interestingly, the center channel seems pretty much avoided except for the occasional properly located sounds.

One caveat is that due to Brian Wilson mixing some of the original solo vocals with other sounds on one track of the master tapes, the 5.1 producer/engineers could not separate the solo vocals out and and state so in the liner notes. This means that there are some minor differences in the mixing/interpretation of the 5.1 versus the stereo version; most won't even notice but a habitual and critical listener may notice ( I didn't)/

A bonus is the 16-bit 48khz PCM mono cut on the DVD-A, it sounds pretty darn good and remains faithful to the original LP recording.
    Paying debt to Karma...

kenny burrell -blues the common ground cd
    king crimson- neal jack and me dvd
    rush-r 30 dvd
    and on order eric johnson-live from austin tx

as far as the sacd dvd audio thing goes ive been told that the sacd format is the choice for the audiophile while dvd audio 's are mostly slapped together with instruments coming from areas where they would normally not be found.kind of a cute parlor trick but not the thing for serious listeners.any input?

That was the case when they first came out years ago. I have not listened to any in over 6 or 7 years. Back then they were just remixing them. Maybe now they are recording them correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardsweb
    I was just wondering what you have actually purchased for yourself lately. Here are some I've picked up over the last month or so.

On Vinyl:
    Donald Fagen - Morph the Cat
    I got the cd version of this in a week ago. I was a bit let down by the sq. Compared to most other artists cd's it sounds great, but imo "morph" is not up to Fagen's and Steely Dan's usually ULTRA HI-FI standards. The bass imo is bloated on a lot of the tracks. I've got Fagen's "NIGHTFLY" and to me it has higher quality sound. I've also got SD's "two against nature" and "everything must go" and they to are better sounding than "morph" imo also.

I also got J.J. Cale's two disc set "any way the wind blows" anthology and have really enjoyed it. So many good tunes it's hard to decide what to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by KenWH
    I got the cd version of this in a week ago. I was a bit let down by the sq. Compared to most other artists cd's it sounds great, but imo "morph" is not up to Fagen's and Steely Dan's usually ULTRA HI-FI standards. The bass imo is bloated on a lot of the tracks. I've got Fagen's "NIGHTFLY" and to me it has higher quality sound. I've also got SD's "two against nature" and "everything must go" and they to are better sounding than "morph" imo also.

I also got J.J. Cale's two disc set "any way the wind blows" anthology and have really enjoyed it. So many good tunes it's hard to decide what to listen to.
    Totally agree with you. I've been a Steely Dan fan since the 70's. I own everything they ever did and all of Fagens solo efforts. The latest just isn't up to his normal inspiring music.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardsweb
    Totally agree with you. I've been a Steely Dan fan since the 70's. I own everything they ever did and all of Fagens solo efforts. The latest just isn't up to his normal inspiring music.
    At the risk of being Flip. Maybe Fagen is losing his hearing acuity...
    Paying debt to Karma...

Miles Davis -- Sketches of Spain and Kind of Blue SACDs
    Steely Dan -- Gaucho SACD
    Return to Forever -- Romantic Warrior SACD (I hope to hell this one comes, I found a place in Italy that said they could get this for me)

Dave Brubeck Quartet- Jazz at Oberlin
    Stevie Wonder- Innervisions
    Fat Possum- Not the Same Old Blues Crap (Volume 3)

Split Enz - Second Thoughts (1st album by quirky but excellent New Zealand Band - eg eNZ, originallyt titled "Mental Notes", but this is the version remastered in the '70s by Phil Manzanera of Roxy Music)
    Split Enz - Dizrythmia (their 2nd album)
    Pat Matheny - Bright Size Life (1st album for his group - features Jaco Pastorius on bass)
    Lonnie Liston Smith - Visions of a New World - (R&B space-Jazz fusion - dated but fun)
    Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad (that guy - his 2nd solo album)
    Japan - Oil on Canvas (Live - remastered) Early "new Romantics" band w/David Sylvian on vocals - a kind of danceable art-rock music (style copied by Duran Duran, but not their music)
    and 2 more
    The Hilliard Ensemble - Lassus (a choral chant album, but w/different harmony stylings)
    Trevor Pinoc and the English Consort - The Brandenburg (on period instruments)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Smile More details, please.

I recognize many of the purchases, but some are completely unknown to me. It's be great if posters could augment the titles with a little commentary.

Heather, any comments on Japan?

Travis, any comments on Fat Possum?

Etc.
    Out.

Thread Information