Thread: Popping sound when changing tv channels ???

pentagon

Popping sound when changing tv channels ???

last saturday i replaced my e30 with the l880 as fronts and put the e30 as surround...since then i`m getting this popping sound when changing tv channels...from the right surround speaker..i swapped it with an e10 and the click is still there...i know this may sound silly but could the l880 have anything, somehow, to do with it ? cause this only started since i got the l880...hk435....thank you

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

In my TV setup using a satellite receiver, surround processor and power amps I get a little "Click" when changing channel, because the processor looses the signal from the satellite receiver in the change.

Some CATV and DSS boxes "drop" the digital audio stream momentarily while changing channels, and some processors deal with this just fine (Yamaha, for example) and some click or pop audibly, probably switching to analog inputs to look for audio there (Onkyo/Integra, B&K, etc.). You might try connecting the analog audio along with the digital, might be worth the quick test.

What's your surround processor?

je

Wellcome aboard!

I agree with the guys above. Loss and aquisition of signal can do it. Most of the modern stuff mutes the sound for this and as this wasn't really an issue in the "Good ole' days" the vintage stuff can make some noise.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

The "click" that appears in my system is hardly audible, as the processor mutes at once it looses the signal as Don and Fred point's out.

High efficiency speaker systems make it more audible!

When I use anything at 96db/watt or more, I tend to hear all kinds of artifacts that are lost using less efficient speakers.

When I run very high efficiency speakers(Edgarhorns@ 105db/watt) you hear power line noises and other airborne noises that work their way into the signal path.

With 90db or less speakers, these noises are lost, so they are seldom heard.

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

pentagon
    thank you all for your input...well i guess spkrman57 came up with the most logical explanation....hey, no offence to the rest of you guys ...the fact that the l880 have a higher sensitivity, 91db as opposed to the 88db of the e30 may explain the fact that now i`m getting these loud clicks on channel changing ....but then...why are the clicks not coming from the l880 but from the e30 right surround ?????

sanford ...i got the hk435

Do the speaker wires run near any electric lines???

Maybe the speaker wire is running near somewhere that is picking up the signal. I say more investigative work is necessary to find the source of the clicks.

Some folks use a type of ferrite bead around their interconnects and speaker wires to eliminate RF that sneaks in sometimes.

Let us know what you find out!

Regards, ron

Quote Originally Posted by pentagon
    the fact that the l880 have a higher sensitivity, 91db as opposed to the 88db of the e30 may explain the fact that now i`m getting these loud clicks on channel changing ....but then...why are the clicks not coming from the l880 but from the e30 right surround ?????

sanford ...i got the hk435
    JBL Pro for home use!

Thread Information