Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best route to "big" JBLs

jleblanc
    Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    OK, wife would like these out of the house. $1K/pair bottom line and you pick up or arrange to have shipped from Orange County, CA.

C50 monitors with an S7 load including LE15As (reconed by OCS in Dec 1994), LE85's, HL-91's, and LX-5s. These include custom made brackets and 6 foot stands. Cabinets are beautiful and on a scale of 1 - 10, speakers are 9.5+.

Add an 075/077 and N7000/N8000 (or the equivelent caps/coils), if desired.
    I'm not a huge fan of the granite cabinets, but that would be a nice setup to put in a new cab... Are there grills for them too?

How do those sit on the stands? They seem way too big for such a small stand.

Quote Originally Posted by jleblanc
    I'm not a huge fan of the granite cabinets, but that would be a nice setup to put in a new cab... Are there grills for them too?

How do those sit on the stands? They seem way too big for such a small stand.
    Original finish was utility grey and the production company had the floor stands and speaker brackets made custom and the speakers and stands redone in zolotone.

The stands have a BIG threaded fitting on top that goes through a hole in the speaker bracket mount. A big nut and lock washer hold them in place.

Agreed that once on the stands, the speakers are precariously balanced, but the floor plates have 4 holes (one in each corner) that could be used to secure them down.

There are no grills.

If you want big get yourself either one or two D130's per side, depending on what you mean by big, get an 075 for each side, throw in which ever horn and driver floats your boat, but if you use two 130's per side get a big one and if you need that last little bit at the bottom I guess you could do it with an LE15A or maybe an 18 but they will need their own amp or else you will have to pad every thing else back. If your good with wood there is a guy on EBAY who sells plans to 4520 cabinets. The 4520 is a huge horn cabinet but these speakers need a large cabinet anyway. You'll need 2 d130's on each side for that and I think you will be happy with the bottom end you not only won't ever wonder whether it's an upright or an electric bass. I'll bet if you were expert at such things you would know what brand. That's big and that's what JBL sounds like. Electric or acoustical music makes no difference. There used to be an audio demo record, I think it was JBL's but I'm not sure. There were a couple of cuts on there by pentangle and compared to this setup an S8 was somewhat sloppy and an S8R was mush. There's your acoustic and Jerry Garcia had a solo album, had a picture of a synthesiser or a counsole, and when that came on it was absolutley scarey and Nillson was awsome. today I can't figure out why that album was even interesting. That is JBL. I don,t think they discontinued these speakers because peoples taste in sound changed, they discontinued them because the space they take up takes up cost tomuch money. I've seen people sell their S8R and buy a C40 (seems it was called a Harkness) with a D130, a 175 DLH, and an 075 (the 077 existed as a four digit pro unit only at that time.) Seems they need this soap box for something else right now so that will have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom
    If you want big get yourself...
    Seeing that jleblanc seems to really appreciate his L150As.... and has expressed an interest in the 4343s, I'd suggest that he is more in tuned with the large studio monitor type sound. The D130s are dynamic as all get out, but for someone looking for a more accurate reproduction, they may leave him wanting.

The 001s and supersized 001s you are describing are certainly cool, but I'd suggest they are for a specific type of listening experience.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Seeing that jleblanc seems to really appreciate his L150As.... and has expressed an interest in the 4343s, I'd suggest that he is more in tuned with the large studio monitor type sound. The D130s are dynamic as all get out, but for someone looking for a more accurate reproduction, they may leave him wanting.

The 001s and supersized 001s you are describing are certainly cool, but I'd suggest they are for a specific type of listening experience.

Widget
    I agree with Widget 100%, take his advise.... the D130's are 50's tech...great speaker, but not much on the low end. They start to loss fast below 150 and have other issues as well. Music is different now than what it was in the 50's and a D130 system, while nice to have, is not up to todays standards by any means...

as a person who has listen to the C35's since 1959 I know a little about this. I redid the C35's with new transducers ( E series, 2225's etc) and used them for center channel on my "mother of all HT's" system that's about all their good for..that and nostalgia listening( when I put the old stuff back in)

Listen to Widget..he knows....

Doesn't matter how many D130s you use. Unless you use lots of eq, they don't produce "real" bass. With multiple D130's (or even 130A's) you just compound the problem. Been there, done that, and replaced them with 2235's.

Even with the 130A's (shown in the first picture), that go lower than the D130s, when my Yamaha RX-Z9 would go though auto eq, it ALWAYS reported these speakers as "small."

From this:

To this:

The Yamaha now reports these as "large."

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    Doesn't matter how many D130s you use. Unless you use lots of eq, they don't produce "real" bass. With multiple D130's (or even 130A's) you just compound the problem. Been there, done that, and replaced them with 2235's.
    10-4, agree with that BIG TIME....good way to say it...

and even if you do use lots of eg it'll never "get you there", the D130 is really a Mid-range speaker ....

Todays music makes much more demands of the lower notes....

First I'm not sure how many people have actually had a pair of C55 cabinets in their living room that's a 13 foot folded horn. A C40 is a 6 foot horn. The cabinet was specificly designd to take over at 150 cps (thats what they called it when the cabinet was designed) and if he wants to bother his wife a bit, these babies will do it before he ever hooks a wire to them. They are awsome. Actually I used to live on 32 acres and the guy who owned the sod farm down the street used to come and threaten me all the time. Didn't matter if it was the Dead or Jimmy Buffet, just not a music lover I guess. And all I had to hook them to was a Haffler 500. However if some moderation is to be used, and the C55's are out, I've allready stated that they can use a sub, and matching a sub to D130's is never easy but when a guy with JBL's gets in an argument with one of those cat or poodle lovers with rogers or JR's (it's in jest)or what ever the flaver is this month isn't it always "but these have dynamic range." Well, 130's have dynamic range!! I expect that some of the monitors you refer to that I've not heard have conquered this, but with the S7 and S8 there was always that spot where the LE15a really wasn't comfortable and neither was the LE85 or the 375 although with the right horn the 375 would have been. The D130 doesn,t have that problem at all. The truth is, there isn't a right way. I wouldn't carry on like this at all if I wasn't so blown away that this is a sight that I'm under the impression,and I'm real new here so I might have the wrong impression and I can't stomp with heavy boots, is devoted to "vintage JBL" and every thing you worship was made in the common hardon days. I'm not saying what you like is bad. I haven't heard some of it and I'd probably like a lot of it but it isn't anything that other people havn't done and weren't doing before or concurrently with JBL. When the D130 came out it was without peer. When the 175 DLH was introduced to Hi Fi what compared to it. There is nothing that JBL makes today or has introduced in at least 20 years that leads the industry like these did when they were introduced. I'll concede every wonder you want to give them for the sound of their new showpiece and I think that statement will still stand. I don't have the system I want anymore either. There is no room. But the sound that was always associated with JBL was the D130. People used to buy that when that was all they could afford, then when they had more money mabe a tweeter then later maybe----- I think their bookshelf stuff might have gone another direction but selfpowered subs are so new. Today in a small box you could put a D123 (aD131 needs almost box as a D130) and a 075 and run a sub, but if you had to run a passive sub you couldn't do it the D123 is too efficient. That really would give you a lot more of a JBL sound than a 100.

"Thats 50's technology" I'm not saying your wrong but some guy was saying that in the 70's Omar something started with a B it will come to me any minute. He's still doing it and if you check some forums some guys want to fight over bose and I'm sure they make a lot of money.There is new technology but there is still gravity that's pretty old and not only do we still hear the same we haven't even renamed any of the bones in the ear. I'm not saying you're wrong just don't be so dismissive. Chech out the link and try to say that about anything else in audio. I've got to admit the first guy to put a motor on a phonagraph had something.

Hell everybody has probably turned the page by now.

Anybody know why I used to be able to copy and paste and now I can't. I'm to busy being paranoid about other things for this to be a conspiracy so there must be a simple answer.

First I'm not sure how many people have actually had a pair of C55 cabinets in their living room that's a 13 foot folded horn. A C40 is a 6 foot horn. The cabinet was specificly designd to take over at 150 cps (thats what they called it when the cabinet was designed) and if he wants to bother his wife a bit, these babies will do it before he ever hooks a wire to them. They are awsome. Actually I used to live on 32 acres and the guy who owned the sod farm down the street used to come and threaten me all the time. Didn't matter if it was the Dead or Jimmy Buffet, just not a music lover I guess.
    It's funny, sometimes, Thom.

But the sound that was always associated with JBL was the D130.
    Yes, there's some truth to that, and it was wonderful indeed, but in some ways JBL is still trying to live it down.

Today in a small box you could put a D123 (aD131 needs almost box as a D130) and a 075 and run a sub, but if you had to run a passive sub you couldn't do it the D123 is too efficient.
    Yes, keeping to the downsized scale, it probably would not be easy to get a sub to keep up with the D123.

I wouldn't carry on like this at all if I wasn't so blown away that this is a sight that I'm under the impression,and I'm real new here so I might have the wrong impression and I can't stomp with heavy boots, is devoted to "vintage JBL" and every thing you worship was made in the common hardon days. I'm not saying what you like is bad. I haven't heard some of it and I'd probably like a lot of it but it isn't anything that other people havn't done and weren't doing before or concurrently with JBL.
    I suggest you try listening to some of it if you get a chance.

When the D130 came out it was without peer. When the 175 DLH was introduced to Hi Fi what compared to it. There is nothing that JBL makes today or has introduced in at least 20 years that leads the industry like these did when they were introduced.
    Well, ya, but it ain't for lack of tryin'. Lots of companies have worked real hard over the last fifty years to gnaw away at the market with imitation products. That's why the Lansing heritage has been worth commemorating. But it's also made it difficult to keep creating new and better stuff and sell it at the necessary prices.

Hell everybody has probably turned the page by now.
    Hell, no! I always like a good-natured rant.

David

I tried to copy and past what they have to say about the D130 elswhere on this site but I was unable to. It pretty much said the D130 was JBL. Maybe before they were Apple. Probably a bad analogy. But you liked jbl or you didn't JBL was the reason other companys were putting domes on their speakers. Very few other speakers were made any thing like a JBL (D130) There is probably something like it today. If you go see The Other Ones or Phil and friends what will you see? Yes, there will be a lot of base speakers, and there will be stuff on top. And today maybe it really isn't JBL (never was all JBL, one time at Keizar I saw more t35's than I even knew EV made)but the manie material will come through a D130 or a clone. Even the base guitar will probably be designed on a D130, even if it's an eigteen. AnLE15a is a good speaker better than most I know. It doesn't snap. We used to show a customer another speakers magnet and hoh it grabbed stuff and show them how a JBL wouldn't even atract anayhing because all of the magntissim was focused on the voice coil.Iguess that was crap.

We used to show a customer another speakers magnet and hoh it grabbed stuff and show them how a JBL wouldn't even atract anayhing because all of the magntissim was focused on the voice coil.Iguess that was crap.
    Not at all. It was part of the explanation for JBL performance, that the flux density in the gap was greater than some. Also, if you look at the specification sheet for the D123 from the fifties you will see that JBL recognized that their speaker drivers could be used close to a CRT TV--way ahead of their time. That in fact was what got me back into JBL about five years ago. Now, of course, CRT TV and computer screens are disappearing fast, and so the lack of stray magnetic field around the classic Alnico JBL drivers has become less important.

David

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    Not at all. It was part of the explanation for JBL performance, that the flux density in the gap was greater than some. Also, if you look at the specification sheet for the D123 from the fifties you will see that JBL recognized that their speaker drivers could be used close to a CRT TV--way ahead of their time. That in fact was what got me back into JBL about five years ago. Now, of course, CRT TV and computer screens are disappearing fast, and so the lack of stray magnetic field around the classic Alnico JBL drivers has become less important.

David
    Note how low the speakers are mounted in the cabinet. My 45" Mitsubishi used to sit on top and even at this distance, there was some color aberation.

One 130A served as the center channel and the other was a "subwoofer" that required massive eq and still never "subbed." (The cabinet is chambered.) I supplemented it with a Sunfire Signiture True sub.

When I redid the L200 cabinets replacing the 130As with "2235s" (actually 2205Cs reconed as 2235s), I also redid this cabinet. The center got the 2235 and the sub got a W15GTI. Now with a Crown PSA-2xh run in bridged mode, the W15GTI provides plenty of sub energy, and tests have confirmed that it plays lower with more authority than the 2235.

Thread Information