Thread: JBL 2245 driver vs A.L. 3182 Driver

JBL 2245 driver vs A.L. 3182 Driver

Can anyone provide me with the relative merits on each of these drivers? I have an opportunity to by either as want to make up a couple of cabinets for subs (single driver in each). Which one would you choose and why? Thanks.

I would choose the 2245 because:

--It is available new for about $900/pair.

--Although it has been around for about twenty years it is still probably SOTA for 18" subwoofer drivers for home use.

--Greg Timbers, who I believe designed it, published an article in Audio magazine showing how to make the best use of it. The article is availabe here on the LH website.

--I have the 2245 in my 4345's, and it is a very, very good woofer.

--I don't know anything about that Altec woofer and don't know anyone who does.

David

Thanks for the reply David. Much appreciated.

The 2245 it is.......

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    not to detract form the quality and general desirability of the JBLs...
    if you want to find info on that Altec driver, maybe you could pop into the ALtec board....

http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult...b/forum/f/3729

2245h

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    I would choose the 2245 because:

--It is available new for about $900/pair.

--Although it has been around for about twenty years it is still probably SOTA for 18" subwoofer drivers for home use.

--Greg Timbers, who I believe designed it, published an article in Audio magazine showing how to make the best use of it. The article is availabe here on the LH website.

--I have the 2245 in my 4345's, and it is a very, very good woofer.

--I don't know anything about that Altec woofer and don't know anyone who does.

David
    I paid $850 for the 2245H in 1985, and $450 for a recone in 1997,here in Canada, I presume that 2245 and the 2245H are the same speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by hificanada View Post
    I paid $850 for the 2245H in 1985, and $450 for a recone in 1997,here in Canada, I presume that 2245 and the 2245H are the same speaker.
    Canadian dollars I assume, which have come closer to parity these days, but in those days were discounted by more than 30%. I took a vacation with friends in the late 90's to Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Prince Rupert, Jasper, Lake Louise via air, water, train and rental, and then to Calgary for a plane home. " . . .yes, but it's Canadian dollars," became a refrain that is still a joke amongst us at times. I still relish the spring rolls and the caribou steak at the Parker House Hotel and the port and Cuban cigars in the smoking room afterwards. May do that again some time.

I've had both and in fact I did prefer the sound of the 3182. (This could be due to the fact that the 2245 was reconed with aftermarket kit)

The 3182 is a killer woofer but it needs a HUGE box, I had the original 8182 box and it's enormous (more than double the size of what 2245 needs). The other downsides of the 3182 is that it's "impossible" to get new surrounds and also more and more difficult to get recone kit, the 2245 will also take more power and play louder.

Anyway, both are great woofers but even though I did prefer the sound of the 3182 I would have bought 2245 because of the smaller box and availability of parts.

These statements seem to be in contradiction!
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    I've had both and in fact I did prefer the sound of the 3182. (This could be due to the fact that the 2245 was reconed with aftermarket kit)

Anyway, both are great woofers but even though I did prefer the sound of the 3182 I would have bought 2245 because of the smaller box and availability of parts.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Canadian dollars I assume, which have come closer to parity these days, but in those days were discounted by more than 30%. I took a vacation with friends in the late 90's to Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Prince Rupert, Jasper, Lake Louise via air, water, train and rental, and then to Calgary for a plane home. " . . .yes, but it's Canadian dollars," became a refrain that is still a joke amongst us at times. I still relish the spring rolls and the caribou steak at the Parker House Hotel and the port and Cuban cigars in the smoking room afterwards. May do that again some time.
    Been in Calgary, went by train "The Canadian" from Ontario to Calgary were my kids live in the winter of 2001,the train stopped in Soux lookout, it was -52d celsus, my noise frooze together instantly. Extension cords at every parking lot is the normal, you plug it in, if you have a car and plan on not using it for two hours.
    Back to the Canadian dollar, it's a bit more even with the U.S., so I bought some things on E-bay, the JBL,L7 spare speakers and a 2245 surround kit, as you will see a picture of this on the 2245H foam ring post, but notice, on the bottle it say's "Do Not Let Freeze", if you live in Soux look out or Calgary,Edmonton, -45 C is normal, so no one in those areas can order this produce in the winter.

Thread Information