Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: JBL 2245 driver vs A.L. 3182 Driver

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    34

    JBL 2245 driver vs A.L. 3182 Driver

    Can anyone provide me with the relative merits on each of these drivers? I have an opportunity to by either as want to make up a couple of cabinets for subs (single driver in each). Which one would you choose and why? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Dang. Amateur speakerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,577
    I would choose the 2245 because:

    --It is available new for about $900/pair.

    --Although it has been around for about twenty years it is still probably SOTA for 18" subwoofer drivers for home use.

    --Greg Timbers, who I believe designed it, published an article in Audio magazine showing how to make the best use of it. The article is availabe here on the LH website.

    --I have the 2245 in my 4345's, and it is a very, very good woofer.

    --I don't know anything about that Altec woofer and don't know anyone who does.

    David

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    34
    Thanks for the reply David. Much appreciated.

    The 2245 it is.......

  4. #4
    Senior Member louped garouv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Posts
    2,169
    not to detract form the quality and general desirability of the JBLs...
    if you want to find info on that Altec driver, maybe you could pop into the ALtec board....

    http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult...b/forum/f/3729

  5. #5
    Junior Member hificanada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    ontario canada
    Posts
    25

    2245h

    Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    I would choose the 2245 because:

    --It is available new for about $900/pair.

    --Although it has been around for about twenty years it is still probably SOTA for 18" subwoofer drivers for home use.

    --Greg Timbers, who I believe designed it, published an article in Audio magazine showing how to make the best use of it. The article is availabe here on the LH website.

    --I have the 2245 in my 4345's, and it is a very, very good woofer.

    --I don't know anything about that Altec woofer and don't know anyone who does.

    David
    I paid $850 for the 2245H in 1985, and $450 for a recone in 1997,here in Canada, I presume that 2245 and the 2245H are the same speaker.

  6. #6
    Dang. Amateur speakerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,577
    Quote Originally Posted by hificanada View Post
    I paid $850 for the 2245H in 1985, and $450 for a recone in 1997,here in Canada, I presume that 2245 and the 2245H are the same speaker.
    Canadian dollars I assume, which have come closer to parity these days, but in those days were discounted by more than 30%. I took a vacation with friends in the late 90's to Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Prince Rupert, Jasper, Lake Louise via air, water, train and rental, and then to Calgary for a plane home. " . . .yes, but it's Canadian dollars," became a refrain that is still a joke amongst us at times. I still relish the spring rolls and the caribou steak at the Parker House Hotel and the port and Cuban cigars in the smoking room afterwards. May do that again some time.

  7. #7
    Senior Member baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Haugesund, Norway
    Posts
    809
    I've had both and in fact I did prefer the sound of the 3182. (This could be due to the fact that the 2245 was reconed with aftermarket kit)

    The 3182 is a killer woofer but it needs a HUGE box, I had the original 8182 box and it's enormous (more than double the size of what 2245 needs). The other downsides of the 3182 is that it's "impossible" to get new surrounds and also more and more difficult to get recone kit, the 2245 will also take more power and play louder.

    Anyway, both are great woofers but even though I did prefer the sound of the 3182 I would have bought 2245 because of the smaller box and availability of parts.

  8. #8
    Senior Member BMWCCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6,969
    These statements seem to be in contradiction!
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    I've had both and in fact I did prefer the sound of the 3182. (This could be due to the fact that the 2245 was reconed with aftermarket kit)


    Anyway, both are great woofers but even though I did prefer the sound of the 3182 I would have bought 2245 because of the smaller box and availability of parts.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

  9. #9
    Junior Member hificanada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    ontario canada
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Canadian dollars I assume, which have come closer to parity these days, but in those days were discounted by more than 30%. I took a vacation with friends in the late 90's to Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Prince Rupert, Jasper, Lake Louise via air, water, train and rental, and then to Calgary for a plane home. " . . .yes, but it's Canadian dollars," became a refrain that is still a joke amongst us at times. I still relish the spring rolls and the caribou steak at the Parker House Hotel and the port and Cuban cigars in the smoking room afterwards. May do that again some time.
    Been in Calgary, went by train "The Canadian" from Ontario to Calgary were my kids live in the winter of 2001,the train stopped in Soux lookout, it was -52d celsus, my noise frooze together instantly. Extension cords at every parking lot is the normal, you plug it in, if you have a car and plan on not using it for two hours.
    Back to the Canadian dollar, it's a bit more even with the U.S., so I bought some things on E-bay, the JBL,L7 spare speakers and a 2245 surround kit, as you will see a picture of this on the 2245H foam ring post, but notice, on the bottle it say's "Do Not Let Freeze", if you live in Soux look out or Calgary,Edmonton, -45 C is normal, so no one in those areas can order this produce in the winter.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. JBL 2245 Ideal enclosure
    By Niklas Nord in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-29-2014, 04:25 PM
  2. What JBL Driver would this be?
    By oldsoundz in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 11:54 AM
  3. Altec 825-828 cab with built in JBL 2245 subwoof
    By Roland in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 04:39 PM
  4. JBL 2245 and Passive Radiator
    By Niklas Nord in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2003, 06:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •