Thread: N1200 crossover Exposed!!

N1200 crossover Exposed!!

This is the second generation (?) N1200 with the three postion high frequency level switch originally introduced around 1952.
    This uses the dull brown "beeswax" to pot the components instead of the earlier shiny black tar. The seller says the crossover had wax on the outside when he got it, seems like the crossover was stored on it's side and got warm allowing some of the wax to melt and seep out. In the picture with the top off the wax appears shifted to the left, revealing on the right some corrugated cardboard used to prop the pieces in place while they poured in the wax. Still using a multi-tapped resistor wound around a flat bakelite? form attached to the back of the faceplate. Only two inductors since this version with the level control is 12 db/octave as opposed to the pre-1952 non-level control version that was 18 db/octave.

Also included: pictures of the 130A woofer and 175 driver that were originally connected to this crossover. Note the "403" prefix on all three components leads me to believe these were assembled in March of 1954.

Listed in ebay auction with pictures of the insides
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-VINTAGE-MODE...QQcmdZViewItem

auction description:
    Here is a JBL VINTAGE MODEL N1200 SPEAKER CROSSOVER in very good condition (SEE PHOTOS).
    I bought this at an estate sale recently. I have the horn and the woofer currently listed so please check my other auctions.
    This had some wax on the outside of the unit. I removed the cover and there is indeed wax inside as seen in the interior photo.
    I hooked up to the input and it does separate the high and low frequencies. When I turned the High frequency gain switch there is an audible difference in the sound.
    I bought this at an estate sale and am selling as original found condition (as is).

Will make an excellent addition to your collection!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Thread Information