Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: John Eargle On Everest CD

John Eargle On Everest CD

I started this new thread as I believe more people will read a new thread than an old one. Here is an update. I have written Mr.Widget about a conversation that I had with Mike Christian the Manager of Customer support at JBL.

My original idea of putting the Sessions LP's on cd has hit some legal snafu. Jbl doesn't believe they have the rights to the music on those lp's and I would have to contact each individual artist on those lp's and get their permission. This as we all know would never happen.

I also told him that we really prefer the Eargle cd demonstrating the Everset system. I also mentioned that I thought it would be a good way of adding funds to the forum. In his genorosity he has set aside 30 copies of this cd for our member's.

Mr.Widget was not sure of the idea of incentives for contributing and asked that I confer with Don McRitchie on the matter. I have sent Don a pm already and have not heard back.

In the mean time I thought I would bring it to you guys and gals on some idea's on how we could offer this to the members. Best DIY of the month, most posts,raffle,whatever.Remember there is only 30 copies available for our members.

We have to come up with an idea somehow that will meet the criteria of the administrator's here.

So post your idea's so that the administrator's and Don can get a feel on what you guy's think.

Mike Christian is sending me his personal copy of the cd for my effort in this matter.He also stated he's always willing to help the folks at LHS.

It might also be a good idea to personally email him and thank him for his genorosity. He can be reached at [email protected]

I think this is very generous of JBL and reaffirm's my decison to own the best. Jim

Note.. I informed Don McRitchie of this thread to see the idea's that we can come up with. Please keep to the subject line here and state idea's only where we can distribute these cd's to the members here,fairly.Thanks! Jim

Thinking JBL could do this themselves as a promotion, much like Maxell did with their
    posters (that probably did more for vintage JBL than for cassette tapes)...

-grumpy

(missed your add-on caveat) ... well, this is a way to distribute to members...

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post

Mr.Widget was not sure of the idea of incentives for contributing and asked that I confer with Don McRitchie on the matter. I have sent Don a pm already and have not heard back.

In the mean time I thought I would bring it to you guys and gals on some idea's on how we could offer this to the members. Best DIY of the month, most posts,raffle,whatever.Remember there is only 30 copies available for our members.

We have to come up with an idea somehow that will meet the criteria of the administrator's here.

So post your idea's so that the administrator's and Don can get a feel on what you guy's think.
    Jim, thanks for spearheading this. Also thanks to JBL/Harman (and Mike) for its role.

The best DIY, most posts, etc. are either too complicated or too subjective to be useful. However, a drawing based on a minimum contribution would seem fair to me.

For example, for every $10 contributed to the site you get one chance. If you donate $50 you get five chances, $100 gives you ten chances, etc. However, you can only win once, so regardless of how much you donate, you could only win one CD. Another limitation I'd like to see is a minimum membership requirement, like been a member for at least 30 days or have a minimum of 25 meaningful posts--no post stuffing like "This is post #22 to qualify for the drawing" etc.

So to recap:
    One chance for every $10 donated.
    One CD maximum per member.
    One minimum membership requirement (30 days or at least 25 posts).

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    I was thinking most posts would be a bad criterion as well...

due to the aforementioned "fluffy" postings that may appear....

maybe they should just be "cobwebbed" and prsesented randomly at Moderators' discretion....

IE a mod thinks that a post (or whatever criterion he/she decided) warrants special recognition,
    said mod conferrs with the other Mods,
    and they collectively vote yay or nay on the proposed recognition....

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    This sounds like the best idea to me!

John

I like TI's idea. I have no say so and leave it to the powers to be to decide and whatever they choose is fine with me. I thought donations to give the forum some extra cash flow maybe for some DIY projects.

There are quite a few members here that really help other members with project's and maybe they should be considered. just a thought,trying to rattle my brain for more idea's.

How ironic,just got that JBL Sessions LP's that I won on Ebay, the mailman just dropped it off to me while I was typing this.

We have to think of something so we don't lose this generous offer from JBL. Personally I can't wait to hear the 1812 Overture on my 250's and XPL140's.

I'm with TI - except for a slight twist.
    To sweeten the pot, give an extra chance for multiples of $50 ...

For every $10 donated, 1 chance
    For every $50 donated, 6 chances.
    For every $100 donated, 12 chances.

At least thats what a local church (not mine) does for their raffles ...

And again, only one prize per person.

However, a drawing based on a minimum contribution would seem fair to me.

So to recap:
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

So to recap:
    Good idea. The LH Forum used this approach when it raffled off the L100's. Although your proposal for minimum membership requirement is new.

I personally like the idea of adding a new tier of membership.....call it a "chartered membership" and that level would be for those members that contribute at least, say $25, per year. So instead of a minimum membership duration requirement you could just say raffle tickets available only to charter members and filter out the casual lookee-loos that way.

Maybe we should put a time frame in somewhere as well.I think this is an oppurtunity for the forum to up their cash flow and should take advantage of it by offering these for contributions.

Well, I guess we wait for the powers-that-be to let us know if they want to do this and if they'd like the extra cash flow.

Again, Jim thank you for taking the initiative on this. It's a great opportunity for the site and its members. And it's very cool of JBL/Harman.

What if we have already donated?

Perhaps we should consider the fact that some people (yes, me for one) have already made a couple of donations this year?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky View Post
    Perhaps we should consider the fact that some people (yes, me for one) have already made a couple of donations this year?

Ken
    Maybe for past contributors you can be given chance's per TI-Dome's suggestions.I guess it all depends on how much work is necessary to track those past donations. It should probably be considered anyhow,I don't know!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky View Post

Ken
    Well, we had a spate of donations when investbiker challenged us in early January. (He also promised me beer.)

I wouldn't be opposed to going back to Jan 1, but I'd recommend only one chance no matter how much you donated at the time. After all, we made the donations without stipulation, so my $25 should only get one chance (and I'd consider myself fortunate).

I'll still donate again as part of the CD fundraiser project, but I agree with you, Ken, that some folks might have recently donated and be in an awkward position. Plus, I wouldn't mind having an extra chance.

we made the donations without stipulation
    I can't argue that.

Ken

For example, for every $10 contributed to the site you get one chance. If you donate $50 you get five chances, $100 gives you ten chances, etc. However, you can only win once, so regardless of how much you donate, you could only win one CD. Another limitation I'd like to see is a minimum membership requirement, like been a member for at least 30 days or have a minimum of 25 meaningful posts--no post stuffing like "This is post #22 to qualify for the drawing" etc.
    Er, so who is going to administer this "drawing"...? And where are the funds going to accumulate? If it's here under the LH Treasury, I gotta have a better roadmap. Someone nominate someone soon...

So to recap...
    Someone nominate someone soon...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information