Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Urei Theater

Quote Originally Posted by jbl_daddy View Post
    I noticed you are using a Sony 9000 preamp and the 9000 DVD player. I two have had these in my theater for 7-8 years. I have been wanting to replace them for a year or two now but can not find anything better or that is so easy for my wife to opperate. Do you use the internal crossover in the preamp to cut any of the lows from the speakers or are you running them all full range?

Ps. Stunning, is your screen a Stewart or a Draper???
    I agree that it is hard to find something better than the Sony 9000 series. The 9000 DVD/SACD player is definately reference class in my opinion. Dad has moved on to the Sony STR DA4300ES (if memory serves correctly), and he is quite happy with it, however I just don't feel the need to upgrade....I'm just so happy with the 9000's. And some may call me crazy.....but isn't 5.1 enough?....especially when your using high end monitors, as opposed to [insert crappy consumer speaker here].

As for bass management.....I am not using the internal crossovers in the E9000, I do all of my bass management with the Outlaw ICBM, and some further processing of the subwoofer channels with the Behringer DCX2496.

The screen is a Da-Lite 'High Contrast Cinema Perf'. The price for this unit was steep enough....I wasn't willing to spend even more on the Stewart....and honestly, the quality of the Da-Lite is first rate.
    Last edited by UreiCollector; 02-26-2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling
    Frederick

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Very, very nice. I bet it's hard to get you out of that room.
    Widget
    Thank you Mr Widget! I'm very happy with the results to say the least.
    Frederick

Nice execution! I envy the follow-through required to 'complete' such
    an endeavor.

Looks like something out of a magazine.

By the way what screen size is that?

Oh and what model projector are you running???

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Looks like something out of a magazine.

By the way what screen size is that?

Oh and what model projector are you running???
    Thank you! Maybe some day I'll get this published.

The screen is 106" and the projector is a Panasonic PT-AE900U (720P 3-chip LCD), not the best of projectors, but for $1200 I can not complain with the performance......as I've said....compromises had to be made......I used the $ on the sound......
    Frederick

Quote Originally Posted by UreiCollector View Post
    Thank you! Maybe some day I'll get this published.

The screen is 106" and the projector is a Panasonic PT-AE900U (720P 3-chip LCD), not the best of projectors, but for $1200 I can not complain with the performance......as I've said....compromises had to be made......I used the $ on the sound......
    Projectors are consumables in every sense of the word and need to be replaced eventually. Nowadays that's sooner rather than later. Putting the $$ into the sound was the right thing to do, and it's an investment with lifetime potential.
    Out.

Maybe some day I'll get this published.
    Congratulations!

"Home Theater", June 2009 Volume 16, No 6

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Congratulations!

Thank you Grumpy!!!! I was wondering if anyone was going to notice from the forum. It's pretty exciting to see your work published. Thanks again!
    Frederick

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Congratulations!

Are you saying his in next months issue of home theatre? Wow Urei any exclusive pictures that we can see now please.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Are you saying his in next months issue of home theatre? Wow Urei any exclusive pictures that we can see now please.
    June issue of "Home Theater" hit the mailboxes a couple weeks ago, and the newstands last week. I'm on page 52, 53.

As for pictures, I've posted everything here...I actually shot the pictures for the magazine, and the wifey and I wrote the article....though they did heavily edit it. All in all, it's pretty cool to see your work in a publication.

As a side note.....this is my "boat". Seriously....you can buy a boat, a sports car, or a motorcycle.....or.....for the same $ and some patience, you can build yourself a theater. No 2nd mortgage required. I'd like to see more of us published...we have something no one else has.....quality sound!
    Frederick

JBL 4645
    June issue of "Home Theater" hit the mailboxes a couple weeks ago, and the newstands last week. I'm on page 52, 53.

As for pictures, I've posted everything here...I actually shot the pictures for the magazine, and the wifey and I wrote the article....though they did heavily edit it. All in all, it's pretty cool to see your work in a publication.

As a side note.....this is my "boat". Seriously....you can buy a boat, a sports car, or a motorcycle.....or.....for the same $ and some patience, you can build yourself a theater. No 2nd mortgage required. I'd like to see more of us published...we have something no one else has.....quality sound!
    I would say it’s also cool to see it on this site!

I’m kinder wondering about the term now, home cinema/theatre. It’s a term that was mostly associated with sound back in the 1980’s when the first domestic Dolby surround decoder appeared on the market.

Why not, media room instead as it can handle all types.

Thou some old and new cinemas now with digital projection can also be on the same grounds as we they can play anything.

Well it’s nice thou you got your living room home cinema in the magazine. I’m sure those who haven’t passed by on this site will see it the Home Theatre magazine, and might take some notice of JBL!

Your theather are a huge influence for me, it's more or less the same as I'm planning/hopeing for over the summer but with Altec instead of Urei

One question I have, is it OK to have the front speakers that high or would it be better to have them lower? My frontspeakers will consist of 3xAltec A700 (horn and 15" basshorn) and I'm a bit conserned that the woofer will get to high if it's on top, so I'm considering that I maybe need to have the on the floor instead of like you?!

Hope it's OK, i used one of your picture to sketch a few solutions for my plans, here's one, and here's an alternative so you maybe understand my question easier

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    One question I have, is it OK to have the front speakers that high or would it be better to have them lower? My frontspeakers will consist of 3xAltec A700 (horn and 15" basshorn) and I'm a bit conserned that the woofer will get to high if it's on top, so I'm considering that I maybe need to have the on the floor instead of like you?!
    I'm glad you like the room! Thanks!

The UREI's were designed to be mounted in the arrangement that I have here....typically in a recording studio the mixer would have been in the way. Another think to keep in mind is that my horns are mounted at ear level while seated...and since I'm using a coaxial driver, the woofer is also at ear level. The additional woofers in the cabinets are cut off at aproximately 100hz and shouldn't affect the pattern a whole lot.

Something to keep in mind with your plan is where the main "lobe" is at the crossover frequency between your bass-horns and your high-frequency horns...depending on driver displacement and crossover topology, you may have to have the horn located above the woofers. I personally think the 2nd image you sent would be the better setup (knowing nothing futher about above said issues). You may however be tight on space. You want to be sure that you have about 30 degrees off of center for your main left and right array, and putting the subs in-between may not allow that to happen (depending on your distance from the front wall).

Keep us up to date on your project...i love the idea of using large format horns in a home cinema like that!
    Frederick

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    I’m kinder wondering about the term now, home cinema/theatre.
    I went with home cinema for two reasons...

1) to set myself apart from the "home theater" crowd... AKA the "i bought a home theater that came with 7 speakers, and it sounds great in this room I crammed it into man..."

2) Relyea Cinema 1 was a great play on words on the Regal Cinema 13 in town...
    Frederick

JBL 4645
    I went with home cinema for two reasons...

1) to set myself apart from the "home theater" crowd... AKA the "i bought a home theater that came with 7 speakers, and it sounds great in this room I crammed it into man..."

2) Relyea Cinema 1 was a great play on words on the Regal Cinema 13 in town...
    Well in any case it’s very stylish not over the top just stylish.

Is this the same cinema? I see you’re located in New York so this must be that cinema?

Regal E-Walk Stadium 13
    http://cinematreasures.org/theater/10461/

There is just one other question thou. How loud is the LCD video projector or is it a DLP type?

I picked up my Hitachi CP-X430 yesterday afternoon and its flipping noisy on the fan at 55dbc at 4 feet way basically its got to go in the kitchen out of sight, its like leaf blower.

I noticed you’ve placed it high towards the ceiling and to the back slightly. Also the heat on mine whew damn and that’s the reason for the noisy fan sucking/venting out the heat.

Thread Information