Amps:
    L, R, C, pair of Hafler DH220
    R, L Surround Hafler XL280
    2242H's Hafler DH500

Sources:
    Sony TA-E9000ES Processor
    Sony DVP 9000ES
    Outlaw ICBM Bass Manager
    Home Brew subsonic filter using Burr-Brown op amps (to protect my 2242's)
    DVDO iSCAN HD+ for Video Scaling

Frederick
    Frederick

Soffit Mounting

Quote Originally Posted by doodlebug
    Now that I've gotten my 813s up and running, I can imagine what that's going to sound like. What are you running for power to them?

Cheers,

David
    David,

I would like to add, soffit mounting the Urei's made a HUGE differance in the transient response. The system has much more "punch" to it now, and the low end is incredibly smooth (no boomy bass). If it is an option, I would highly recommend mounting your Urei's in soffits, I was not prepared for the improvement, absolutely amazing!

Frederick
    Frederick

Yep, should look funny when I'm done....

Understand about the soffits, Fredrick. They were clearly designed with that assumption/requirement.

I've just moved back into a house where I'll end up setting up the garage for use as a 'romper room'. Right now, the UREI's are on furniture mover's wheels and will stay like that for a while. Yes, there's a bit of booming in the bass but the midrange presentation is all there. I posted a picture of the current setup the other day somewhere on these forums.

I *could* almost set up a smaller version of your theater in there, using the 809s for rear speakers and the set of JBL 4425s for a middle, I suppose. Nah.....I'm just into 2-channel right now. Maybe someday.

The other problem I have here in Santa Cruz is that the houses are on 40' x 80' lots. Houses are close together as a result and I can already hear the 813s out on the street through the garage door. Can't imagine what a full theater setup would do for the neighbors' entertainment.

One interesting thing I discovered re: light bulbs in the UREI's. The tweeter bulbs in the crossover are GE-81s. They're the same bulbs as found in old Volkswagen dashboard lights - the old 6V versions from the 60s, that is. Was able to locate them at a local VW restoration outfit. The other 6V bulbs for the woofers I found at a local lighting fixture company after digging around in their old boxes. They had *lots* of them.

For the large spade connectors on the back, I used Thomas and Betts L35-B2 copper terminal lugs, available at Home Depot. These allowed me to use its clamping system while making a solid connection to the speaker.

Cheers,

David

Quote Originally Posted by UreiCollector
    David,

I would like to add, soffit mounting the Urei's made a HUGE differance in the transient response. The system has much more "punch" to it now, and the low end is incredibly smooth (no boomy bass). If it is an option, I would highly recommend mounting your Urei's in soffits, I was not prepared for the improvement, absolutely amazing!

Frederick
    Nice to hear.....I'm told by Westlake I can expect the same when I get into the new house......

Ken

2ch vs multi ch

Quote Originally Posted by doodlebug
    I *could* almost set up a smaller version of your theater in there, using the 809s for rear speakers and the set of JBL 4425s for a middle, I suppose. Nah.....I'm just into 2-channel right now. Maybe someday.
    Nothing wrong with 2 channel....most can't get that right, and going multi-ch without getting 2 channel right, is just wrong.

The room may look bigger than it really is. It's only 19.5 ft deep, and 14 ft wide. You may have more room than you think.

I did see the pics of your Urei's. Definately nice.

I have the wood cut now for the 2242's, hopefully I'll get them somewhat together this weekend.

Frederick
    Frederick

Here's a pic of my 811Cs when I first got 'em home and hooked them up for a test drive. I love my UREIs. I was first exposed to them at the '83 Audio Engineering Society Convention in NY. I'm doing up a page to describe how and why I managed to bring home these old friends after mixing on 813Cs for twenty years and this particular pair of 811Cs for ten years. I've also started a page showing the pics of UreiCollector's rig, just to show that I'm not exactly batty in loving these things, at least by comparison... I could point you to the pages if you are interested.

By the way, UreiCollector, I'd love to hear your observations comparing the 811As to the 811Cs, as well as comparisons of the 813A and B series.

Bob

PS, Interestingly, my 811Cs replaced a pair of Audio Techniques Big Reds in '92 and our 813Cs replaced a pair of Altec 19s in '86.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

Urei 811C

Gee those look nice! I like the sound of the C's a lot....my impression is that they have more attack in the midrange, but I have not listened to them in the same room as the A's (or B's) for that matter. So it could be all room effect.

I sure hope you found some nice soffits for those 811's to live in.
    Frederick

Actually, they are living against a wall. The bass response of our soffitted 813s is smoother than the subwoofed 811Cs, but I think the subwoofers actually extend the low end a little further on my home set.

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

JBL 4645
    WOW! Awesomely speechless! Out of this world!

The Baffle wall is the way to do it!

Like the THX professional baffle wall, the front of the wall is covered with sound absorbent material to stop the high frequencies bouncing of the perforated screen, otherwise, the result will be a very bright sound, this also helps for intelligible dialogue.

great fisheye pic
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enought to take away everything from you

Yet another photo.....

Still making progress, but still a way to go.......

Everyone seems to like the fisheye shots, so here you go.
    Frederick

Subs almost complete

Wanted to post pics of the subwoofers, they are almost finished! They will be outfitted with 2242H's.

Hopefully I don't break the house.
    Frederick

Great setup. Those sub cabs look nicely finished. Can't see bracing details, but
    it's hard to over do it in a large sub box. -grumpy

Impressive looking system!

I'll bet the sound will be dynamic as hell once completed!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

More progress.....

Just wanted to share another photo! These subs sure do make some incredible low end....now I just need to finish them.....oh, and put some trim around those Urei's.
    Frederick

Thread Information