Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Revel Ultima2 Series

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Most home listening environments would be considerably less live than these pictured "listening" rooms. Simply adding an upholstered couch, an arm chair or two and carpets will do a lot to tame a room. If you've ever moved, pay attention to the sound of your voice once the furniture has been removed from the room... the change is quite remarkable.

If the listening room is not fully furnished with wood tables and chairs to act as diffusers and upholstered furniture to act as absorbers, you will need a fair amount of treatment to have a decent room.

Of course, if you prefer an unusually bright room, that is fine, but most music is produced and recorded with a more "typical" room in mind.

Widget
    Can't really tell what those rooms have, the floor had carpet.

The dealer where my son and I heard the Salon2 in SF two months ago, only had one chair as I remember and four wall panels along the two side walls, with each panel slightly higher than the previous one. And a small defuser on the ceiling. So there was much less in that room than my current LR. But the Salons were quite far from the walls, much as I would have placed them, the sound was superb.

I've also been in audio rooms that were way too live. A local dealer had a HT setup using Thiel speakers and at first the sound was very good, with nice open airy highs. But after awhile ear fatigue started to set in.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    The dealer where my son and I heard the Salon2 in SF two months ago, only had one chair as I remember and four wall panels along the two side walls, with each panel slightly higher than the previous one. And a small defuser on the ceiling. So there was much less in that room than my current LR. But the Salons were quite far from the walls, much as I would have placed them, the sound was superb.
    That was my point. In a typical living room the usual furnishings tend to work well as the room treatment. Since most audio shop listening rooms and some home theaters have far less furniture in them, the walls and possibly the ceiling will need to be treated to make the room work.

Also as you mention, pulling the speakers out from the walls helps quite a bit too as our brains are quite capable of filtering out reflected sounds if they are delayed enough.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    That was my point. In a typical living room the usual furnishings tend to work well as the room treatment. Since most audio shop listening rooms and some home theaters have far less furniture in them, the walls and possibly the ceiling will need to be treated to make the room work.

Also as you mention, pulling the speakers out from the walls helps quite a bit too as our brains are quite capable of filtering out reflected sounds if they are delayed enough.

Widget
    And that's what I've told other people, in a normal LR, great room, as long as there are no tile floors, window walls, and just long flat bare sheetrock walls and something other than leather seating, it should be good.
    But some people, go for video first, as in craming in the largest possible screen and then stick the normal speakers in the corners. I've seen that done in HT dealer's rooms and the sound lacks anything called a soundstage.
    With something like the Arrays, you can get away with it, due to their CD.

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    From this statement of yours.

One question I asked repeatedly was about room treatments, as the rooms seemed undertreated to me. The answers I got were somewhat surprising. The basic response, repeated several times, was that they limit treatments to carpet, furniture, and perhaps a (very) few thin wall panels. The main exception was to have many thin wall panels in the room with tile flooring.

IMO, nothing wrong with those conditions.
    If the room would have had tile floors and huge amounts of windows, w/o drapes and speakers set right into the corners, then, yes, add treatments

Exactly my point. I've been in HT rooms, that to me, were about as dead. The music had no life to it whatsoever.
    You have to consider that I was in all these rooms, and you were not. Perhaps you would have liked them; I don't know. I can't tell what your preferences are. That's exactly my point. You can't tell what mine are either, since you have not been in those rooms. So why make the wild leap to the assumption that I like a dead room?

You and I have never been in the same room, so you have no point of comparison. I was amazed that the Ultima2 Salons did as well as they did, given the deplorable state of the room IMO. Similar rooms destroyed the Sonus Faber, Boston, Martin Logan, and McIntosh speakers that were in them.

I can only imagine how much more I would have enjoyed the Salons had they been in a better room.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    You have to consider that I was in all these rooms, and you were not. Perhaps you would have liked them; I don't know. I can't tell what your preferences are. That's exactly my point. You can't tell what mine are either, since you have not been in those rooms. So why make the wild leap to the assumption that I like a dead room?

You and I have never been in the same room, so you have no point of comparison. I was amazed that the Ultima2 Salons did as well as they did, given the deplorable state of the room IMO. Similar rooms destroyed the Sonus Faber, Boston, Martin Logan, and McIntosh speakers that were in them.

I can only imagine how much more I would have enjoyed the Salons had they been in a better room.
    True, we have never been in the same rooms, but I had assumed that the Revel room had carpet and a lot of furniture.

But I do know that we do share some of the same models and I know, in your home you use much more room treatments than I do.
    Like Widget mentioned, I do rely of normal furniture, drapes, carpet to control the sound. So in that light, I would say you probably do prefer a room on the dead side, by comparision.

normal room decoration will be good for high and mid freq so really good speakers that have such good and controlled dispersion will sound good in normal rooms

but the problem is in the bass region where the modal response dominates the seen and boundary effects are the most obvious

so you need a boundary that can absorb some of the energy

normal one layer gypsum construction is a good absorber at certain frequency but if you want a really good sound you will need more than that

by the photos you can see no normal decoration it is basically a empty room so that is going to be a problem in the bass and higher up

just my opinion

I have had my Revel Ultima Salon 2's for two years and am still enthralled by the sound. They seem to handle every type of music well. I would describe them as ultimately smooth and accurate.

Since I bought them, I have upgraded my CD/SACD player and my Turntable. Now I will begin upgrading my speaker cables, power cords and interconnects. It is easy to hear differences with the Revels.

Quote Originally Posted by HighDefSoundman View Post
    I have had my Revel Ultima Salon 2's for two years and am still enthralled by the sound. They seem to handle every type of music well. I would describe them as ultimately smooth and accurate.

Since I bought them, I have upgraded my CD/SACD player and my Turntable. Now I will begin upgrading my speaker cables, power cords and interconnects. It is easy to hear differences with the Revels.
    Congratulations and welcome! You have a wonderful set of loudspeakers.

A few of us got to hear the Ultima2 Salons alongside the Everest II DD6600, 1400 Array, and K2 S9900 recently. The Salons acquitted themselves very well that day. I was convinced I would buy the Salons until I heard the K2s.

Even though the K2s cost more, I went with them. I would have been happy with the Salons, and there's still the chance they'll come my way in the future, but the K2s just could not be passed up.

Almost everyone in the room preferred the Salon during the course of the day, but only a few got to hear the K2s at the end of the day, and many of us who did felt they were really special. Of course, there are days I wish I had both.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by HighDefSoundman View Post

Yes, the Salon2 is very fine system. I auditioned them last Sept. in SF. Easily the best I've heard to date. But next month I'll be in Japan, plan on hearing the top end JBLs.

Thread Information