Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Revel Ultima2 Series

Looking lonely in the barren corner, the Salons were slightly smaller than I expected. Still, at over 150 lb. I wasn't taking them lightly. The placement almost seemed haphazard.

Yet, the narrow baffle and the waveguide really made for an excellent soundstage, both wide and sort of deep despite the dreadful conditions.

Someone thought it would be good to put an overstuffed leather love seat on the side wall. :dont-know
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Yep, my pictures suck, but all I had was my phone in a dark room.

The equipment closet was in the rear, and it had the obligatory McIntosh kit, as well as Denon Bluray, Marantz processor, and more. When the room was completely dark, the many lights coming through the closet's glass door reflected annoyingly off the TV screen.
    Out.

Here's a lonely Gem surround. It had a sweet, sweet sound and would be a nice speaker all on its own. Of course, it would need a sub. PT800 all grown up? More like a cousin, I think.
    Out.

Salon2s on East Coast (Florida):

http://ebayitem.com/220505543593

Poor grammar is not mine:

Revel Ultima Salon2 (No Reserve)
    If Your Looking Here, You know What these are About, Highest Rated Speakers Period! Buy these at an Insane price with No Reserve and Free shipping! Bid With confidence, Check my feedback and other auctions.This auction is for one pair of Salon2 speakers, Trade in from original owner, His loss your gain.He had moved to a apartment and needed to scale down. If you do not bid you can't win. This is a once in a lifetime deal!!!! These Speakers sell for $22,00.00 Plus tax New! Specification Value Sensitivity (4π anechoic with 2.83V at 1m), mean of 100Hz to 20kHz 86.4dB Impedance 6Ω (Nominal), 3.7Ω (Minimum) Crossover Frequencies 150Hz, 575Hz and 2.3kHz Frequency Range 23Hz and 45kHz In-room Response Relative to Target Response 29Hz to 18kHz ±0.5dB Listening Window Response 26Hz to 20kHz ±1.0dB Low Frequency Extension -3dB at 23Hz, -6dB at 20Hz and -10dB at 17Hz Height (With Base) 53.25" (1353mm) Height (Without Base) 50" (1270mm) Width (With Base) 14" (356mm) Width (Without Base) 11" (279mm) Depth (With Base) 23" (584mm) Depth (Without Base) 18.8" (477mm) Baffle Thickness 2.5" (64mm) Baffle Width 9.6" (244mm) Shipping Weight 178lbs (80.7kg) Notes The Salon2’s base cannot be removed
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Of course, it would need a sub. PT800 all grown up? More like a cousin, I think.
    A rich cousin?

I have thought about getting a pair as I'd like something about that size in my living room... but I have never heard them and I have a hard time spending that much on something I've never heard... well, I've heard them, but only as rear surrounds and that doesn't count.

Oh, and yes, your pictures are painfully bad, but thanks for sharing.

Widget

I still prefer the -look- of the original Ultima series ...
    they had more of an exuberant personality.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I still prefer the -look- of the original Ultima series ...
    they had more of an exuberant personality.
    I agree...

I understand the technical reasoning behind the Salons and Studios, but the new Gems, appear to be a compromise to satisfy someone else's aesthetics...

Widget

When i saw the photos of the new Salons in 2007, I was dubious, but when I first saw them almost two years ago, they were much nicer in reality. As I noted above, I was surprised they looked a bit smaller this time, but it might have been the bare room that diminished them visually.

There's no doubt that they sound great and that they sound better than the original Salons. The original Salons can be had used for under $7k, which makes them a fantastic bargain, but I'd rather spend the extra $$ for the current model. It would be a disappointment to have the originals after spending time with the 2s.
    Out.

It would be a disappointment to have the originals after spending time with the 2s.
    Perhaps. I've not had the pleasure of hearing the new series yet.

Thus far, I -have- heard -quite- a few disparate speaker examples that
    make magic with quality source material (sometimes only with -certain- source
    material), most of which I will unlikely ever own. This does not
    guarantee daily disappointment (thank goodness) vs what I own, but does
    allow me to appreciate that there are many levels and areas of speaker
    performance that can provide elements of personal enjoyment, and that
    those levels and areas tend to be weighed a little bit differently by
    everyone.

Makes speaker design to a mass market a real bitch.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Makes speaker design to a mass market a real bitch.
    I couldn't stand it. Too large of an audience to satisfy and most likely none of them are ever coming to my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    I spent the most time in the lightly-treated Revel Ultima2 Salon room, and a good portion of that time listening in stereo. Given the room size and modest appointments, I was floored by how good the Salons were. I kept trying different music to see if I could trip them up, and I kept moving around the room to see where they would begin to fall apart. In two words: very impressed. The Ultima2 Studios in another room were nearly as good, but it was clear the Salons were worth the extra coin. I was told that Kevin Voecks might show up but if he did it was after I left. I would have shaken his hand for such a wonderful job. I will have a pair of Ultima2 Salons because...uh... I must have a pair of Ultima2 Salons. They reminded me a lot of my JBL Performance Series, but obviously done with a bigger budget and more freedom, and they seem like a logical and emotional step for someone who likes those Ti inverted dome drivers as much as I do.
    That was my thoughts when I heard the Salon2 in SF two months ago, the natural step up from the PT800.
    But you must like a completely dead room, I do not. I've heard such rooms, no thanks. The room I heard the Salons in did have four 2x4 panels along the side walls about a foot apart and each rising in elevation to the one next to it. And there was a funky ceiling defuser. But that's it.

But unlike the room you show, the Salons in that SF dealer's room were at least 4 ft from the sides and at least 5 ft out from the screen wall. Just about how I would have placed them. And for most music, if not all, I would turn the sub off, only using it for movies.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    But you must like a completely dead room,
    I agree with most of what you say, but I have no idea where you pulled this from.

A properly treated room is not a dead room by any means.
    Out.

Maron Horonzakz
    Anechoic chamber is a dead room.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    I agree with most of what you say, but I have no idea where you pulled this from.
    From this statement of yours.

One question I asked repeatedly was about room treatments, as the rooms seemed undertreated to me. The answers I got were somewhat surprising. The basic response, repeated several times, was that they limit treatments to carpet, furniture, and perhaps a (very) few thin wall panels. The main exception was to have many thin wall panels in the room with tile flooring.

IMO, nothing wrong with those conditions.
    If the room would have had tile floors and huge amounts of windows, w/o drapes and speakers set right into the corners, then, yes, add treatments

Anechoic chamber is a dead room.
    Exactly my point. I've been in HT rooms, that to me, were about as dead. The music had no life to it whatsoever.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    Exactly my point. I've been in HT rooms, that to me, were about as dead. The music had no life to it whatsoever.
    Most home listening environments would be considerably less live than these pictured "listening" rooms. Simply adding an upholstered couch, an arm chair or two and carpets will do a lot to tame a room. If you've ever moved, pay attention to the sound of your voice once the furniture has been removed from the room... the change is quite remarkable.

If the listening room is not fully furnished with wood tables and chairs to act as diffusers and upholstered furniture to act as absorbers, you will need a fair amount of treatment to have a decent room.

Of course, if you prefer an unusually bright room, that is fine, but most music is produced and recorded with a more "typical" room in mind.

Widget

Thread Information