Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Revel Ultima2 Series

are they being assembled in Mexico like the concerta line

all will be forgiven the day you fork over 22 grand for those salon 2's i bet.........

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    Nope. They are labeled as a USA product... not sure what that means these days.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Nope. They are labeled as a USA product... not sure what that means these days.

Widget
    My understanding is that they're produced about 30 miles NW from where I live.

I am going to pop in quickly and correct a common misconception. After which, I will disapear again.

Revel product, specifically the Ultima original and current new models are and always have been designed by Mark Glazer. He began life with Infinity and moved to Revel shortly after it started up. Kevin is Director of Marketing and is involved with final voicing decisions and many other aspects of the product definition, but the acoustic engineering is done solely by Mark.

Floyd, Sean, Ulricht and all of the other names that have been given credit for Revel design have not had anything to do with the product. It is of constant discomfort for me to see other individuals get credit for designs on which they were not involved. These are errors of omission and in my opinion, nothing intentional. During the extensive sessions that we often have with press and reviewers, a lot of information comes up and these kind of miscommunications are fairly common. I know how badly I have felt on the few occasions that other were given undue credit for my work. I have been very fortunate as the Japan market has been overly fair with my promotion and I have been treated very well by the US and European groups as well. I simply wish Mark the credit for which he is due. The new Revel stuff is extremely nice product and should leave a positive mark on the industry.

Greg - aka Mr. JBL
    Last edited by Robh3606; 12-04-2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Edited For Spelling

Thanks Greg

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gtimbers View Post
    I am going to pop in quickly and correct a common misconception. After which, I will disapear again.

Greg - aka Mr. JBL
    Bravo sir, thanks for your input - always a pleasure to see you come 'round ... have a Merry Christmas indeed!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thanks for the input
    i think here in the forum we can make an efort to transmit these information so that Mark gets the merit he deserves

I have hear the Ultima 2 Salon and thy are a very nice product
    please step in more often

Revel product, specifically the Ultima original and current new models are and always have been designed by Mark Glazer. He began life with Infinity and moved to Revel shortly after it started up. Kevin is Director of Marketing and is involved with final voicing decisions and many other aspects of the product definition, but the acoustic engineering is done solely by Mark.

Floyd, Sean, Ulricht and all of the other names that have been given credit for Revel design have not had anything to do with the product. It is of constant discomfort for me to see other individuals get credit for designs on which they were not involved. These are errors of omission and in my opinion, nothing intentional. During the extensive sessions that we often have with press and reviewers, a lot of information comes up and these kind of miscommunications are fairly common. I know how badly I have felt on the few occasions that other were given undue credit for my work. I have been very fortunate as the Japan market has been overly fair with my promotion and I have been treated very well by the US and European groups as well. I simply wish Mark the credit for which he is due. The new Revel stuff is extremely nice product and should leave a positive mark on the industry.

Greg - aka Mr. JBL
    Boy, I thought this thread was dead (especially after I sunk all my money in a house).

Well, marketing guys do like the spotlight, as you know. Thanks for bringing Mark Glazier's (see below) Glazer's name out on stage.
    Last edited by Robh3606; 12-04-2007 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Corrected Spelling

My mistake. Mark Glazer is the correct spelling. Not the former head of Madrigal who is a marketing guy. We had the same problem here when they were both on the phone list at the same time. Like most of the Engineers at Harman, Mark has been kept in the background and not mentioned. Unless you are heavily into Infinity product, you would probably not have heard of him. However, he has designed all of the Revel product of any merit and has done so pretty much by himself.

I applaud your efforts to give proper credit where credit and appreciation is due. -grumpy

i googled and found nada

he is shure in the backgound

My mistake. Mark Glazer is the correct spelling. Not the former head of Madrigal who is a marketing guy. We had the same problem here when they were both on the phone list at the same time. Like most of the Engineers at Harman, Mark has been kept in the background and not mentioned. Unless you are heavily into Infinity product, you would probably not have heard of him. However, he has designed all of the Revel product of any merit and has done so pretty much by himself.
    Well, in that case, I'll edit my post.

Not quite two years...

This will be a bit of a long post, but it will shine the light on Revel Ultima2 gear as a result of time spent at a SoCal high end AV design and installation house.

I got there at 10 AM sharp on Saturday, too early as it turned out, but it actually benefitted me. After telling me that nothing was happening until 2 PM (plus a Mustang car show at noon in the parking lot), then they let me pretty much do what I wanted for 90 minutes. This allowed me to spend time in every room and to talk to a number of the guys working there who were busily setting things up and doing some room tuning.

There was actual calibration going on in a couple of rooms, as several pieces of just-arrived equipment were being set up. This was interesting for a second, but watching calibration gets old fast unless it's your system that's being worked on.

The rooms have good doors, however, so I could go into any listening room, close the door, and shut out the annoying tone blasts of the calibrations.

One question I asked repeatedly was about room treatments, as the rooms seemed undertreated to me. The answers I got were somewhat surprising. The basic response, repeated several times, was that they limit treatments to carpet, furniture, and perhaps a (very) few thin wall panels. The main exception was to have many thin wall panels in the room with tile flooring.

So there were no thicker panels or bass traps for LF absorption, no diffusers, and no isolation of noise-making or heat-producing equipment in many cases.

As for speaker placement, I was told that usually in the sound rooms they just set them down and toe them in. If they need to, they'll move them closer to or further from the walls if needed. The only "tuned" rooms are the HT rooms, where speaker set up and calibration are rigorously attended to.

The stacks of McIntosh gear were amazing. They produced immediate size and appearance envy, as I kept thinking, "I wish mine were that big and that attractive." The TT in particular was impressive, though I must admit to a Star Wars cantina visual moment or two after the initial impression wore off. All the lights, meters, and shiny glass became very distracting after a while and interfered with my enjoyment. I actually covered my eyes with my baseball cap a couple of times so I could focus on the sound. (I know, it's hard to imagine; I can't believe that I felt compelled to do it either, but http://www.thesourceav.com/FeaturedSystem.htm )

Because I have two well-treated rooms at home, I think I've got a perceptual expectation about how a good room should sound and feel even before the music begins. By and large their rooms sounded edgy and felt hard to me. In some cases the rooms were sonically similar to the hallways. I did not feel I had stepped into a different aural space, though obviously the visual impression was amazing given the fantastic array of quality products on display.

When I visited Todd-AO, when we went into a sound stage, even with lots of people, we knew we stepped into a special space that had a sound and feel that was acoustically right and ready to give us a fantastic listening experience. In replicated the sound and feel of my much smaller but properly treated space at home.

I spent the most time in the lightly-treated Revel Ultima2 Salon room, and a good portion of that time listening in stereo. Given the room size and modest appointments, I was floored by how good the Salons were. I kept trying different music to see if I could trip them up, and I kept moving around the room to see where they would begin to fall apart. In two words: very impressed. The Ultima2 Studios in another room were nearly as good, but it was clear the Salons were worth the extra coin. I was told that Kevin Voecks might show up but if he did it was after I left. I would have shaken his hand for such a wonderful job. I will have a pair of Ultima2 Salons because...uh... I must have a pair of Ultima2 Salons. They reminded me a lot of my JBL Performance Series, but obviously done with a bigger budget and more freedom, and they seem like a logical and emotional step for someone who likes those Ti inverted dome drivers as much as I do.

I was impressed with some of the Sonus Faber gear, though it suffered for lack of its own room and lack of a better room. The Revels were in their own spaces; also, they seemed less room dependent with their narrow baffles and waveguide technology. As usual, I was less than impressed with the electrostatics. I've just never taken to their limitations, and the plusses are too few to overcome the disappointments they bring, including being big and unattractive. Also, a note to McIntosh: stick to your core strengths. It ain't speakers.

One other observation: I really, really, really do not like looking at flat panel displays while listening to these systems. They're too small for the sound, and they lack the presence and impact of a projected image. At home, we've got a modest 46" Sharp Aquos in our bedroom, and we have smaller flat panels in our guest rooms. We thoroughly enjoy watching TV on them as an adjunct to normal bedroom activities. Nonetheless, when I go down to the media rooms, I don't want no stinkin' flat panels. I want big screens to go with the total A/V package. So... it was weird to have the glorious Revel Ultima2 Salon/Gem 5.1 surround experience while trying to view Transformers 2 on a friggin' 50" + or - LCD screen. It's just not right! Not in a room with $80,000 of sound reproduction equipment in it.

Curiously, they had a JL sub with the Salons. I asked why and got the lame reply, "We like JL a lot." Okay, who cares? The Revel Ultima2 Salon was fantastic-er when the JL was turned off (by me).
    Out.

The Revel Ultima2 Salon Room

The room was Spartan, to say the least: not a single treatment on the front wall or at the first reflection point on the sidewalls. There's a nice, big, hard table for the Ultima2 Voice to reflect off of. The reflective screen on the TV just adds to the room's harsh feel.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Thread Information