Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
Most home listening environments would be considerably less live than these pictured "listening" rooms. Simply adding an upholstered couch, an arm chair or two and carpets will do a lot to tame a room. If you've ever moved, pay attention to the sound of your voice once the furniture has been removed from the room... the change is quite remarkable.

If the listening room is not fully furnished with wood tables and chairs to act as diffusers and upholstered furniture to act as absorbers, you will need a fair amount of treatment to have a decent room.

Of course, if you prefer an unusually bright room, that is fine, but most music is produced and recorded with a more "typical" room in mind.

Widget
Can't really tell what those rooms have, the floor had carpet.

The dealer where my son and I heard the Salon2 in SF two months ago, only had one chair as I remember and four wall panels along the two side walls, with each panel slightly higher than the previous one. And a small defuser on the ceiling. So there was much less in that room than my current LR. But the Salons were quite far from the walls, much as I would have placed them, the sound was superb.

I've also been in audio rooms that were way too live. A local dealer had a HT setup using Thiel speakers and at first the sound was very good, with nice open airy highs. But after awhile ear fatigue started to set in.