Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Everest Listening Impressions

Norm Luttbeg

A question on the Everest speakers

I suspect that these speakers can accept great wattage, but what is their efficiency? And what do they weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Luttbeg
    I suspect that these speakers can accept great wattage, but what is their efficiency? And what do they weigh?
    Dang!
    These are newly announced $65,000 speakers, just presented in Japan ...
    I'm sure there will be a formal page on the official JBL website with tech specs and all of that stuff, once they are readily available.

Doesn't ANYONE use Google??

2 Minutes with JBL DD66000 for the search term and

http://www.jbl60th.jp/

a few flash pages in I hit a link for specs and saw
    500 W (RMS)
    96db

Of course, like folks keep saying, the only real test is to go hear a pair ...
    but I do have to wonder - even if these puppies sound like the voice of god herself, how many folks here are gonna snap a pair up?

Not trying to be a snob about this - but it doesn't begin and end with the $65k speakers, you have to have amps and signal sources with comperable quality ... really, I have so many better places to put $80k ....

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames
    Not trying to be a snob about this - but it doesn't begin and end with the $65k speakers, you have to have amps and signal sources with comperable quality ... really, I have so many better places to put $80k ....

Well then you aren't dedicated enough.

Widget

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Well then you aren't dedicated enough.

Widget
    The truth, like love, hurts.
    Out.

Norm Luttbeg
    Sorry, Heather, I had spent a long time looking for JBL Everest, not DD66000. I also note that they weigh 312 pounds. This would be monumentally difficult for me to get to my second floor listening room. I like the 96db efficiency.

I also have heard that the price in Japan is $30,000, and even that is daunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Luttbeg
    I also have heard that the price in Japan is $30,000, and even that is daunting.
    That's for 1 speaker, Norm. The price in Japan for the DD66000 is 6,000,000 for the pair (for either the rosewood or cherry finishes). The ebony and maple finishes are made-to-order and cost 400,000 yen more for the pair!

BTW, I will have an opportunity to hear a pair this Saturday. At this demo, the DD66000 will be set up with a Mac MC2K power amp, and MCD201 CD/SACD player.

Good or bad please tell us all about it... for those of us here in the states we'll have to wait until January to see and hear them.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K
    . . . .BTW, I will have an opportunity to hear a pair this Saturday. At this demo, the DD66000 will be set up with a Mac MC2K power amp, and MCD201 CD/SACD player.
    oooooh!

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    It doesn't need a sub. However, if you insist on a bandwidth that plumbs the depths of low frequency audibility, then you need to either EQ or add a sub. Just like for the 4350, L250, 4344, XPL200, K2, original Everest and every single JBL loudspeaker system ever made. In fact, the Everest is one of the few JBL systems that can do this strictly with EQ. Few, if any of the other classic JBL bass drivers or enclosure tunings have the degree of headroom as Everest.
    Hi Don, and thanks for your answer. I don't really know what you mean with "plumbs the depths of low frequency", but I really don't believe that a sub or EQ in a fine loudspeaker system should be necessary. I don't feel that this is necessary in my 4343B's.

As I have said several times in different posts, I can not and will not judge the system before I have heard it. The ? I have after reading about it is the roll off frq of the woofers and the crossover at 20000 hz. I hope the rest of the response is like described.

Impressions of the DD66000

I went to the DD66000 demo last Saturday and, for what it's worth, this is my take on the new Everest.

The demo was held on the JBL/McIntosh floor of Dynamic Audio, an audio specialty store in downtown Tokyo. The room is about 65'x45' with heavy velvet curtains covering the side walls. The DD66000s, rosewood finish, were placed about 6 feet away from the side walls and about 4 feet from the rear wall, and about 12 feet apart from each other. Instead of the announced McIntosh MCD201 CD/SACD player, the player was the Esoteric P03/D03 CD/SACD player D/A converter combination. The power amplifier was the McIntosh MC2K, two sets of the three chassis per channel monoblocks, with a combined power output of 2,000 watts! All these were controlled by a Mac C46 control amp. The speakers were connected with a single, inch thick speaker cable, wired to the pair of low terminals, which in turn were connected to the high terminals with the original bridging wires.

I wish I'd taken notes of what CDs were played but I didn't, but the selection was a variety of jazz and classical pieces, both instrumental and voiced. These recordings were of very good quality and really showed off the sonic character of the speakers. First, let me say that there was no hint of 'boxiness' of any sort. I imagine that the weight, each speaker weighing around 300lb, has a lot to do with this, but what came out was just the sound of the recorded music. The bass is plentiful, full and clear, that in an acoustic jazz combo piece, you can hear the upright bass as you would hear the musician playing right in front of you, along with every movement of both hands on the bass. The guy from Harman Japan who was there MC'ing the event said that that 1 of the two woofers handled the lows from a 100 hz down to 30Hz, while the other handled the over 100Hz to 700Hz. Unless you're setting up for a home theater with a need to reproduce all the low rumble, the booms and bangs of THX or Dolby Surround effects, there is no need for a subwoofer at all. The mids, handled by the new 476Be 4" driver and having a response range of 700Hz to 20KHz, were very clear and detailed. We heard Robert Gambarini sing Cole Porter's Easy To Love and she was right there in front, displaying her very smooth voice and articulating clearly. In another piece, showcasing the mids, was a clarinet solo that was sweet and hinted of no harshness whatsoever. My girlfriend who tagged along normally has no interest in audio (fortunately, she's understanding though) was just wowed with the Everest's sound. Back at home later that day and listening to my 4344MkIIs and 250Tis, I say that there is no contest - hands down, the DD66000 comes out on top in every respect.

On our way back to the parking lot, we stopped by at another store, and lo and behold, in the listening room in the back was a pair of DD66000 with nobody around. These were hooked up to a pair of Halcro's dm88 monoblocks and Krell pre-amp and CD/SACD player. The music that was playing was some modern jazz recording, probably late 50's to early 60's stuff. Although the performance was good, the recording was not, and the Everest revealed every flaw unmercifully. We were just puzzled why these guys would play such a bad recording on a system that could bring the best out of the best recordings made today.

I've heard the Avant Garde, the Wilson System 7, the JMLab Utopia, the Revel Salon, the B&W 800D, the German Physiks Carbon, as well as other exotically priced speakers, and they were all excellent sounding. I wouldn't say that the DD66000 is unequivocally better than those, but I can state that the DD66000 competes very well amongst such worthy competitors. I would definitely buy a pair if I could afford to, but then I would also have to be able to afford the new house in which to place them. Until such a time I'll just have to be satisfied with what I have now, which is supposed to be a pretty good system, too. But now that I've heard the new Everest....

Steve K from Tokyo
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Very interesting report Steve. I am really looking forward to hear them when they arrive to Norway.

About the old recording you heard that didn't sound so good, this is something JBL is "famous" for. Crap in, crap out

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf
    Very interesting report Steve. I am really looking forward to hear them when they arrive to Norway.

About the old recording you heard that didn't sound so good, this is something JBL is "famous" for. Crap in, crap out
    Yeah, imagine that: "You are what you eat," even in recordings.
    Out.

Another Impression

http://www.stereosound.co.jp/hivi/de...eature_90.html

Disapointed

Being a proud owner of L300's and 4313B's for many years I find it disapointing and hard to believe that JBL would sell this speaker for $30,000 a pair and it is not able to reproduce the lowest octave of musical information. If it was relatively flat down to 20hz I'd stand in line for a pair in a minute. As far as I'm concerned I can see no excuse for this.

Domino,
    Prepare for another disappointment... they're $30,000 each.

Thread Information