Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Everest Listening Impressions

Some Pianos...

There is the Bosendorfer Imperial. If you think the lowest notes are not supposed to be played but are there only for resonance, think again. There are pieces written for them.

I also feel that some modern instruments, think stuff like the Blue Man Group here, would suffer without low bass extension in any attempted reproduction. I have recordings utilizing African instruments that make me glad I have the 4345/2245H's capabilities.

If clear, strong bass tones are your thing, there is this: http://www.klavins-pianos.com/index_en.htm Download the sample near the bottom of the page. See the home page to view the beast. I burned it as a wav file with Nero and played it on the 4345's.

Mind you, none of this would keep me from buying a pair of Everests if I could. And despite my reputation for not caring what speakers look like, I am stunned by how bold and beautiful they look. Truly unbelievable.

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    5 and 6 string electric bass. Low B string in concert tuning is 31Hz. Lots of acoustic & electric Jazz and Rock use the Low B bass in new music and reprise arrangements of older music.

That's why it's important to have a speaker system that is strong to below 30Hz for the US market.
    OK, so that means that the new Everest needs a sub? Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf
    It was stated earlier that the woofers have a ton of headroom and can be eq'ed to other response curves. I'm too busy drooling over the the Everests to remember where.

Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47
    ... a ton of headroom and can be eq'ed to other response
    The White Paper states:
    Peak-to peak linear excursion capability: 25.4 mm
    It's a mass.

The Source!

It was Mr. Timbers himself. I would say no sub is needed!
    In 2-channel, some EQ could be easily used as the woofers have tremendous headroom.
    Clark

If that is really so I agree. After all, how many instruments plays under 30Hz? Church organ, yes, but how many percent of the year do you listen to that? Maybe also some "ugla bubla" computer music too, but I never listen to that.

I see this alot on the Internet. What kind of music do you guys listen to that doesn't go below 30hz? I would say 60% of my collection does. I think the whole "most music doesn't have low bass" is a myth. Same as the "small rooms can't support low bass" misinformation.

It was stated earlier that the woofers have a ton of headroom and can be eq'ed to other response curves. I'm too busy drooling over the the Everests to remember where.

Clark
    Woofers don't sound good when they are flying out of the basket. Sub1500s have this problem when eq'ed or pushed hard, why would these be any different? Wouldn't the deep bass push on your upper bass woofer? Or did I miss a pic and they are in seperate enclosures?

In the pictures, what is the center speaker in the wall for? (mono?)

What Mr. Timers said.

Room rise and boundary reinforcement, 1-Pi, if desired....

Here, in a different JBL product:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Shuster
    Woofers don't sound good when they are flying out of the basket.
    True... they tend to have all kinds of nonlinearities at that point and the sound quality goes to hell. As I said on the DD66000 thread, you can push the bottom end on a pair of 1500ALs and they sound very good. They also don't visibly move much until you are driving them up to brain splitting levels. As Mr. Timbers said... they have the headroom.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    They also don't visibly move much until you are driving them up to brain splitting levels. As Mr. Timbers said... they have the headroom.
    Widget
    With The Beatles or Yo Yo Ma yes, but with Rob Zombie, Bjork or The Sneaker Pimps are you sure about the brain splitting levels? They have alot of energy down low.

I don't think you should need a sub with uber speakers.
    I'm not the intended market for these speakers so take that with a grain of salt.

Clark
    So first I need to buy a $60.000 (Probably more expensive in Norway) system and then buy a EQ to make it sound right? ... and probably a 2KW power to have enough headroom to deliver what is needed in the bass section? No ... this can't be true.

Maron Horonzakz
    There ia alot of supposition & conjecture going on here,,,Without even hearing the speaker.....It sounds like a lynch mob.

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz
    There ia alot of supposition & conjecture going on here,,,Without even hearing the speaker.....It sounds like a lynch mob.
    It isn't everyday that I agree 100% with you, but you nailed it.

Widget

Wink Not everyhting is made to please me...(?)

Yeah, so a guy goes into a Rolls Royce auto retailer and wants to know about the cost of ownership: cost of insurance, cost of maintenance, cost of fuel, cost of parts, etc. He asks if it will beat a Murcielago LP640, get better mileage than a Prius, command the road better than a Hummer H2, haul more than a Ram 3500, and go off-road better than a Jeep. He wants to know the value equation.

The droll purchasing advisor gives the expected reply, "Sir, if you have to ask these questions, then first, clearly you do not understand it, and second, you cannot afford it."

The exasperated would-be customer curses him, flips him off, and proceeds to tear RR a new one any chance he gets. :shock: :shock:

Ok, ready!
    Out.

It doesn't need a sub. However, if you insist on a bandwidth that plumbs the depths of low frequency audibility, then you need to either EQ or add a sub. Just like for the 4350, L250, 4344, XPL200, K2, original Everest and every single JBL loudspeaker system ever made. In fact, the Everest is one of the few JBL systems that can do this strictly with EQ. Few, if any of the other classic JBL bass drivers or enclosure tunings have the degree of headroom as Everest.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Thread Information