Thread: Everest Listening Impressions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Everest Listening Impressions

I had the most opportunity to listen to Everest in March of this year at Northridge. Since these sessions occured in JBL's listening rooms, I consider them more representative of the Everest's potential than the hotel ballrooms that formed the sole venues for my auditions in Japan. Before I get into my impressions, attached are photos from the Nortridge sessions. The first were taken upon my first listening with Steve Schell, Greg Timbers, John Eargle, Paul Bente and the delegation from Japan (Ken Yasuda of Harman Japan and Koji Onodera of Stereo Sound)
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Regards

Don McRitchie

The last picture was taken from the second sound room, which was the better of the two for Everest.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Now to my impressions. Quite simply, Everest is a candidate for the finest loudspeaker I have ever heard. The reason that I do not come outright and state that Everest is the finest system I have ever heard is that the one or two other systems that I also consider in that regard have different strengths and weaknesses. It has been years since I have heard some of these competing systems, and since I have obviously never heard them all in the same room, it is not possible for me to make an absolute objective assessment.

Everest excels in dynamic response, bass impact, timbrel neutrality, and midrange detail. In comparison to the S9800, it has far more weight and is a more resolving system. I can't say enough about the 476Be driver. This driver is very similar to an electrostatic in its ability to be delicate and nuanced, however with all of the power and impact of a large format compression driver. The twin bass drivers make the system truly magical. The in room response is solid down into the 30's and is far more articulate than the bass that I have heard from any other system. It is impossible to make this system sound strained no matter what you throw at it.

Since there is no such thing as a perfect loudspeaker, Everest is not without its limitations. As has been much discussed, the bass response will not extend flat down to the lowest audible frequencies. However, it is much better than specs would lead you to believe due to room coupling. For 95% of music, it would not be an issue at all. However, if it were my system, I would look into EQ to provide ultimate extension. The other limitation regards imaging. It does not match the highest performing systems that I have heard in that characteristic. It is still significantly improved over the S9800 and better than any horn based system I have heard.

And there you have my impressions after around 3 hours of total listening.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Smile Thank you.

In any of your trips to Northridge (or anywhere else) have you had the chance to hear the direct radiator Revel Ultima Salon? If so, can you offer a comparison?
    Out.

Don,

How big is the JBL listening room?

It looks to have a high ceiling.

One gets the impression the new system commands a large room. I suppose if you can afford the Everest you can afford a large room but I am not aware too many Japanese consumers have what would be called large rooms compared to that of an American home.

But there is the irony.

Ian

The third picture of Greg looking down towards the system is a classic keeper; i.e. Lansing archive material................

Disapointed

Being a proud owner of L300's and 4313B's for many years I find it disapointing and hard to believe that JBL would sell this speaker for $30,000 a pair and it is not able to reproduce the lowest octave of musical information. If it was relatively flat down to 20hz I'd stand in line for a pair in a minute. As far as I'm concerned I can see no excuse for this.

Domino,
    Prepare for another disappointment... they're $30,000 each.

Dons' "Everest Listening Impressons"

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    Now to my impressions. Quite simply, Everest is a candidate for the finest loudspeaker I have ever heard. The reason that I do not come outright and state that Everest is the finest system I have ever heard is that the one or two other systems that I also consider in that regard have different strengths and weaknesses. It has been years since I have heard some of these competing systems, and since I have obviously never heard them all in the same room, it is not possible for me to make an absolute objective assessment.

Everest excels in dynamic response, bass impact, timbrel neutrality, and midrange detail. In comparison to the S9800, it has far more weight and is a more resolving system. I can't say enough about the 476Be driver. This driver is very similar to an electrostatic in its ability to be delicate and nuanced, however with all of the power and impact of a large format compression driver.
    The twin bass drivers make the system truly magical. The in room response is solid down into the 30's and is far more articulate than the bass that I have heard from any other system.

It is impossible to make this system sound strained no matter what you throw at it.

Since there is no such thing as a perfect loudspeaker, Everest is not without its limitations. As has been much discussed, the bass response will not extend flat down to the lowest audible frequencies. However, it is much better than specs would lead you to believe due to room coupling. For 95% of music, it would not be an issue at all. However, if it were my system, I would look into EQ to provide ultimate extension. The other limitation regards imaging. It does not match the highest performing systems that I have heard in that characteristic. It is still significantly improved over the S9800 and better than any horn based system I have heard.

And there you have my impressions after around 3 hours of total listening.

Thanks Don ! for your first hand listening impressions.
    - I would truly love to audition these fine examples of JBLs' superlative engineering .
    - I've highlighted the parts of your testimonial that really catch my eye.

Hi Earl. I agree completely. Thought about bringing the EQ option up, response given the
    target audience, etc... I didn't really see the concern going anywhere. -grumpy

Wow! $30,000 apiece. And they need and EQ. Hmmm

Thanks Steve K!!!

Your observations about Everest DD66000 is about what I expected to hear. JBL did not invest the R & D into a speaker system that would be considered average.

I wish I get a opportunity to see and hear a pair myself. Don't know if I could afford a trip to CES in Jan to see them, maybe pennies from heaven may flow into central Ohio and make a dream come true.

Interesting note to those complaining about the bottom end response, I'm sure the Everest will reproduce all the necessary music content with no problem at all. Most bottom octave material being referenced in these forums is more related to home theater related than music!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Thread Information