Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Everest Listening Impressions

Everest Listening Impressions

I had the most opportunity to listen to Everest in March of this year at Northridge. Since these sessions occured in JBL's listening rooms, I consider them more representative of the Everest's potential than the hotel ballrooms that formed the sole venues for my auditions in Japan. Before I get into my impressions, attached are photos from the Nortridge sessions. The first were taken upon my first listening with Steve Schell, Greg Timbers, John Eargle, Paul Bente and the delegation from Japan (Ken Yasuda of Harman Japan and Koji Onodera of Stereo Sound)
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Regards

Don McRitchie

The last picture was taken from the second sound room, which was the better of the two for Everest.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Now to my impressions. Quite simply, Everest is a candidate for the finest loudspeaker I have ever heard. The reason that I do not come outright and state that Everest is the finest system I have ever heard is that the one or two other systems that I also consider in that regard have different strengths and weaknesses. It has been years since I have heard some of these competing systems, and since I have obviously never heard them all in the same room, it is not possible for me to make an absolute objective assessment.

Everest excels in dynamic response, bass impact, timbrel neutrality, and midrange detail. In comparison to the S9800, it has far more weight and is a more resolving system. I can't say enough about the 476Be driver. This driver is very similar to an electrostatic in its ability to be delicate and nuanced, however with all of the power and impact of a large format compression driver. The twin bass drivers make the system truly magical. The in room response is solid down into the 30's and is far more articulate than the bass that I have heard from any other system. It is impossible to make this system sound strained no matter what you throw at it.

Since there is no such thing as a perfect loudspeaker, Everest is not without its limitations. As has been much discussed, the bass response will not extend flat down to the lowest audible frequencies. However, it is much better than specs would lead you to believe due to room coupling. For 95% of music, it would not be an issue at all. However, if it were my system, I would look into EQ to provide ultimate extension. The other limitation regards imaging. It does not match the highest performing systems that I have heard in that characteristic. It is still significantly improved over the S9800 and better than any horn based system I have heard.

And there you have my impressions after around 3 hours of total listening.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Smile Thank you.

In any of your trips to Northridge (or anywhere else) have you had the chance to hear the direct radiator Revel Ultima Salon? If so, can you offer a comparison?
    Out.

Don,

How big is the JBL listening room?

It looks to have a high ceiling.

One gets the impression the new system commands a large room. I suppose if you can afford the Everest you can afford a large room but I am not aware too many Japanese consumers have what would be called large rooms compared to that of an American home.

But there is the irony.

Ian

The third picture of Greg looking down towards the system is a classic keeper; i.e. Lansing archive material................

That sounds good. Sorry about posting earlier, I didnt know, I just saw it and asked!

Sounds like a speaker to hear, and as I said in my first post, they look stunning! Thank you for posting.
    scottyj

I have heard the Salons head to head against the S9800 in the Halcro room at the 2002 CES. The Salons imaged better and had deeper bass, but I would take the S9800's over them. The Salons have nowhere near the effortlessness and impact of the JBLs. Both were similarly timbrelly neutral, but the Salon's lack the bass articulateness of the JBLs.

To Ian, the second soundroom at JBL is similar in size to the average North American living room. It does have higher ceilings though. The large room is actually the poorer sounding of the two with significant room modes.

Electronics used

Hi Don,what type of electronics were used for listening? were they all halcro? i'm curious,thanks for replying,MEvin

Solid response down to 30hz

Sounds like it would reproduce all natural musical instraments.

I could probably enjoy it without EQ or subs!

Thanks for sharing!

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Thanks Don for your telling us your listening experience. As I have said before I will not judge them before I have heard them.

Hope I get the chance, as I do not order them without hearing them first for some days in my own home.

As for the looks, they get more and more stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57
    Sounds like it would reproduce all natural musical instraments.

I could probably enjoy it without EQ or subs!

Thanks for sharing!

Ron
    If that is really so I agree. After all, how many instruments plays under 30Hz? Church organ, yes, but how many percent of the year do you listen to that? Maybe also some "ugla bubla" computer music too, but I never listen to that.

THANKS DON !

Thanks ! for posting your listening impressions ( & pics ) of the DD66000 "Everest" .

I also want to publically thank Giskard and Steve Schell for sharing their thoughts on all the ground-breaking technology inherent to these speakers .

Of course, Greg Timbers ( & team ) need to take a bow for delivering such a stunning 60th Anniversary "Statement" .

Again, Bravo !

<> Earl K

From my experience with 2226's...

I have found that response down to approx 45hz is not all bad. It will lack the bottom end bass, but will have dynamic impact that makes you not miss the bass on some music.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf
    If that is really so I agree. After all, how many instruments plays under 30Hz? Church organ, yes, but how many percent of the year do you listen to that? Maybe also some "ugla bubla" computer music too, but I never listen to that.
    JBL Pro for home use!

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf
    5 and 6 string electric bass. Low B string in concert tuning is 31Hz. Lots of acoustic & electric Jazz and Rock use the Low B bass in new music and reprise arrangements of older music.

That's why it's important to have a speaker system that is strong to below 30Hz for the US market.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information