Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: going to look at pair 4410 s tomorrow

going to look at pair 4410 s tomorrow

any specifics that I should look for ? be aware of ? are these left and rights ?

his ad:
    JBL 4410 studio monitors - $350Vintage JBL 4410 studio monitors in mint condition.$350.00
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

clmrt
    Port and Starboard

what to look for

woofer foam deterioration, crunched domes, cabinet damage, l-pad scratchy-ness,
    "custom" mounting holes, grill cloth or frame damage, input terminal condition, ...
    Might give them a listen as well, if possible (all drivers working). -grumpy

Yup, those are a mirror-image pair.

A Zilchster favorite: accurate, yet somehow "warm" sounding.

Mr . Zilch.....

you seem very knowledgeable about this model , is the price in the "ballpark" ?? , in your opinion ?

That's the high end. They should be in VERY nice condition for $350....

thanx for NFO , zilch

I will push for $275-$300, IF they are in great condition.
    I have L36's for rears. Are the 4410 similar in size ? My big Denon receiver (110wpc) should have no problem with the 4410 as mains...Are they close enough to the L36s in efficiency to provide balanced volume ?

Owner says surrounds NOT FOAM , but sort of a plasticised fabric...is this correct ?

I don't think so. Let me look.

Woofs are foam, beautiful little mids are cloth.

It'll cost $60 to $100 to have the proper foam surrounds installed on the woofers if they are wrong.

You'll have to check the specs for dimensions. They are about the same size, yes.

The efficiency should not be an issue. You set the level separately for the rears and mains in most systems....

I got 'em ...(4410)...WOW

went out to see the 4410s today. They are pristine. I would rate them 99.95 perfect. The only flaw I could find was a grill post had broken off in the rubber gasket. It still fits tight with only 5 holding. The wood was very dry and really soaked up the lemon oil.
    The drivers were as new, balance controls silky and the cabinets and grills were fantastic. They came from a loving home. If they were on the self in a retail store, I would rate them as new.

Offered $250 and he accepted.
    Just hooked up at home.....WOW !! those titanium tweeters are sure sweet. Plenty of bass. No need for a subwoofer, and they blend with the L36 rears very nicely.
    Thanks all for the help and encouragement.

Which is L and which is R ?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Oh, man, you did very nicely getting those beauties, Seawolf.

I think I'd play them vertical with the ports inboard for starters.

THEN, you can spend the next week or so trying out alternative positions....

New grilles may still be available through JBL Pro parts if you want them "mint."

Though I've never tried it, it may be possible to pin the post back onto the frame.

Here's the specs:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Stu...ies/4410LR.pdf

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4410.pdf

4410 listening impressions..& good speaker day

only had the 4410s for 6 hours and I love 'em already. Very open and airy. effortless , sounds like they are loafing around , capable of much more than you currently are hearing.
    Picking up new nuances in the same music I've heard for years. It is the sound I used to hear in stereo demo rooms and always wished my system sounded that way..........For the first time, turning off the L36 rears. There is just that much difference in the 2 models and the 4410 is just that much better.

On the way to see the 4410's, stopped at GW. Picked up a nice pair of Infinity RSe ' s , good cabinets and grills.(EMIT tweeters) ..need foam....$5, ...and pair of Advent mini's that need 1 grill for $5.

seawolf , i think zilch is on to somethin with the repinning idea . i have done that on a pair of l100t,4408's and my 4412's as well . all worked great . super glue was the ticket for me ,lay the frame on a flat surface ,carefully dig the broken post out,match it up and then the glue. i let dry for several hours just in case,none of mine have failed.

re:grills that is exactly what I did last night

and it worked perfectly. thanx.

Any idea how far off the floor would be optimal ? Thinking of making temp stands out of stacked books until I get correct hight and then make permanent ones. What is a good starting elevation ?

prior owner had controls flat on speakers and music source. Is that how you guys set them or "set for listening pleasure"??

ANSWERED my own question

make some 10in high stands from a pair of defunct Braun speakers. sounds about right. Got a chance to listen at a higher level today ( the ole'Lady went shopping), geeze they are nice. Never expected 10in LF to sound that good.

Tested out my new $5 Infinity RSe's. No treble !!! those famous EMIT tweeters produced nothing !! then turned them around and guess what...the tweeters have fuses on the rear and both were blown. replaced fuses and sound great. Someone donated to GW for 25 cents worth of fuses !!

here is what they are (not my auction)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97
    prior owner had controls flat on speakers and music source. Is that how you guys set them or "set for listening pleasure"??
    I set 'em flat.

If RTA says that's wrong, I have a dilemma.

[Don't MAKE me measure them, now, and upset the equilibrium here.... ]

Thread Information