Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: going to look at pair 4410 s tomorrow

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97

Any idea how far off the floor would be optimal ? Thinking of making temp stands out of stacked books until I get correct hight and then make permanent ones. What is a good starting elevation ?

prior owner had controls flat on speakers and music source. Is that how you guys set them or "set for listening pleasure"??
    My 4412's are mounted horizontally on 26.5" stands, angled toward the listening position, woofers outside. I like the Mid pots set at -1 or -1.5, and the High pots at -.5 or -1. Each port has 95 drinking straws cut to the length of the port, (this took much experimentation and listening sessions!)

YMMV

this is the first I've heard of the....

drinking straw phenomena , what is the effect ?

was researching L65's and they recommend an old dirty sock.......

I'm ancient and need more highs ( from my speakers ) and set everything at "+". although the titanium tweeter is so good that I may have to modify that behavior.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

There are other ways to do it, but I like using the straws because they allow for some air to pass across the entire area of the port, and you can 'fine tune' the air restriction to get closer to the bass response you want without having to EQ.

It helps to smooth out the response curve, (with the 4412's I get an in-room dip around 60Hz compared to the 40, 50, 80, and 100Hz points) while helping to tone down the port noise at higher dB levels. At the same time, it doesn't turn the response completely into a sealed 12dB/oct roll-off.

EDIT: Here's a bit on this from several months ago:

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    The use of straws is well documented and IG/COF on the S&V forum (their resident guru) swears that in some instances they reduce port turbulance and it's distortions (with measurements to back it up). He always notes that they must not be accordion pleat straws.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...?t=9215&page=5

...and the relevant response graph (provided by His Giskard-ness) where Red is 4412 standard open-port response; Green is port blocked. Don't ask what White is, it'll just make you spend mo' $$ :
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Not having 180 spare orange straws, I tried

a spare wad of acoustic foam , maybe bass was a little smoother.

another subject: I had 3 little spots on the side of 1 speaker cabinet that looked like Coca-Cola splatters. Could not scrape off with my fingernail.
    Then read a post here about using toothpaste to clean cup circles. Tried it and WOW , works great. !!

Well you gotta try it to see if you like the sound, eh?

I've never used the toothpaste trick but if it works, it works!

After 2 weeks with the 4410's .....

these are the best speakers that I've owned. Much better than my L100s. On Mr.Zilchs advise, I added SW support as the 4410 is rated to 40hz.
    with 2 ten inch subs (rated 27hz) it is just an awesome setup.
    I know most of you like "the big iron", but for a smaller living room and on a fixed budget, this combo is about the best "bang for the buck".

Hf and MF is unbeatable. Got stands and they are up about 10in.

As someone else predicted, played for 2 weeks with placement, height, orientation, ports,etc. It was well worth it.

side note...recently 2 auctions on eBay, 1 for 4410 LF and 1 for 4410 HF. The 4 drivers sold for more than I paid for the 2 complete speakers !!!

Thumbs up Great!

Happy about this!

these are the best speakers that I've owned. Much better than my L100s. On Mr.Zilchs advise, I added SW support as the 4410 is rated to 40hz.
    with 2 ten inch subs (rated 27hz) it is just an awesome setup.
    I know most of you like "the big iron", but for a smaller living room and on a fixed budget, this combo is about the best "bang for the buck".

Hf and MF is unbeatable. Got stands and they are up about 10in.

As someone else predicted, played for 2 weeks with placement, height, orientation, ports,etc. It was well worth it.
    Not happy about this. (More and more breaking up of complete systems)

side note...recently 2 auctions on eBay, 1 for 4410 LF and 1 for 4410 HF. The 4 drivers sold for more than I paid for the 2 complete speakers !!!
    Out.

the downside of this upgrade is...

that I've put my beloved Ohm Walsh's into storage. They are also amazing, and very attractive. Too many speakers, not enough room or ears.

I would suggest even further placement experimentation, with the help of test tones for the bass since you have a separate sub.

The RealTraps Test Tone CD is better than most, because it has tones from 10Hz-300Hz in 1Hz increments (!) instead of just 1/3 or 1/6 octave-spaced tones. You can DL the file and then burn it onto a CD. This definitely ranks as a "w00t!" because it actually works...and it's free.

It has a blank, printable frequency response graph sheet - for your test-tone plotting plea-sha!

Also, DL ModeCalc to see where your room nodes are. Very easy to use, just enter in the WxLxH dimensions of your room and you'll get a graphic report.

Believe me, expending some time/effort in adjusting speaker position, room treatments, and/or EQ'ing will pay off tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak
    It has a blank, printable frequency response graph sheet - for your test-tone plotting plea-sha!
    Folks here are having difficulty finding semi-log paper for plotting frequency response data.

Who's got a link to a full-spectrum audio sheet (landscape) we can all download or print?

Not standard issue at college bookstores anymore? Sheesh. -grumpy

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Folks here are having difficulty finding semi-log paper for plotting frequency response data.

Who's got a link to a full-spectrum audio sheet (landscape) we can all download or print?
    Zilch,
    Are you looking for semi-log paper or is full-spectrum audio sheet different? Programs like Excel do a fair job of log and semi-log graphs. Here are some links for printable graph paper that may help.
    http://www.mathematicshelpcentral.com/graph_paper.htm
    http://www.pdfpad.com/graphpaper/
    http://www.csun.edu/~vceed002/ref/me...aph_paper.html

Quote Originally Posted by Phil H
    Are you looking for semi-log paper or is full-spectrum audio sheet different?
    Thanks, Phil.

The 4-cycle does it, 10 Hz out to 100 kHz.

[Allegedly, we need that.... ]

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    I just took the one from RealTraps above and extended it x3 out to 30kHz. After all, it's only 'log'....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information