Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 5.1 Bonanza

Finally, I'll skip to my conclusion:

My conclusion is that the Oppo’s BDP-83Se’s superior analog board is worth the investment, even if you may need to introduce an additional conversion step, if you observe to following caveats:

1. Your room needs to be treated.
    2. Your system’s DAC or DACs must be equal to or better than the Oppo’s.
    3. Your system must have flexible, nonintrusive calibration capability.
    4. Your system should be calibrated manually, not automatically.
    5. Your system must be capable of resolving both dramatic and subtle improvements in sound quality.

I found the Oppo’s analog output to be superb. It immediately improved each of the three systems in their analog bypass modes. It evidenced the most astonishing improvement in conjunction with the additional A/D/A step in the Synthesis® system. Even in this instance, a better signal in means a better signal out, additional processing notwithstanding.
    To more directly answer your question, the improved analog section in the Oppo improved the analog sound of my Synthesis® system, and the Oppo's DAC outperformed the SDP-5's. When your BD/DVD/CD player out performs your pre/pro in analog conversion, it's pretty astounding. On digital, I'm certain a more current pre/pro will handle digital inputs with aplomb. (I'm about to find out. )
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    As for the Oppo BDP-83SE, I got it specifically to do all the decoding in the player and run the sound out the 7.1 analog pres. (Of course, it will be outputting 5.1, not 7.1.)

Until HDMI is a bit more mature and some of the irritating audio bugs are worked out, I'll limit its use to video.

wow, that is very very deep! a bit over my head I really must admit, but thank you. I'm not sure what the link posting policy is, but if you can post the link to the SE avsforum thread where this is contained I'd really appreciate it.

I have the standard -83 link but at this point, if I'm about to buy my first new CD/DVD player in a decade, and willing to spend serious coin on new HDef discs, I really want to make the best choice to go along with my LSeries HT, even if it's a 1K spend instead of 500.
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Thread Information