Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.1 Bonanza

Thumbs up 5.1 Bonanza

Yeah, yeah, I know some of you are die-hard two channel listeners, and I totally respect you for it, but some of us also like multi-channel sound, so please humor me for a moment.

If you have a former Good Guys which became a CompUSA which is now being closed like the one at Del Amo Fashion Center in Torrance, CA, then you might want to visit. Today I got a basket full of DTS 5.1 and DVD-A titles for a song.

Ray Charles, genius loves company superdisc DVD-A, DTS, super hi-rez CD included
    Diana Krall, Love Scenes, DTS
    Paul McCartney and Wings Venus and Mars DTS
    Blue Man Group, The Complex DVD-A, DTS, hi-rez stereo
    The Moody Blues, Days of Future Past DTS, HDS
    Steve Miller Band, Fly Like an Eagle DTS, HDS
    Marvin Gaye, Forever Yours DTS
    Sting, Nothing Like the Sun DTS
    Sting, Brand new Day DTS
    Sting, Ten Summoner's Tales DTS
    Don Henley, The End of the Innocence DTS, DTS-ES
    Crosby-Nash, Another Stoney Evening DVD-A, DTS, hi-rez stereo
    Queen, The Game DVD-A, DTS, hi-rez stereo
    Queen, A Night at the Opera DVD-A, DTS, hi-rez stereo
    Tchaikovsky, Classics DVD-A, DTS
    Frank Zappa, Halloween DVD-A, DTS, hi-rez stereo
    Frank Zappa, Quadiophiliac DVD-A, DTS, hi-rez stereo
    Medeski Martin and Wood, Uninvisible DVD-A, DTS-ES, hi-rez stereo
    Tom Petty, Sound Stage Live DVD Video, DD5.1
    Johnny Cash, Live From Austin DVD Video, DTS, hi-rez stereo
    Planet Earth (environmental compilation) DVD-A, DTS, hi-rez stereo

I think that's 21 titles. Cost: about $140. Less than $7 each. I would have purchased more, but I ran out of money.

I'll have plenty to listen to over the next few weeks!
    Out.

I'll be passing two of them today, thanks for the heads-up!

je

No, I'm a knucklehead, I passed two CompUSAs that are staying open. No joy here.

Thanks for the heads-up, though, let me know how you like the Queen discs.

je

Smile Back for more

I was in the neighborhood again today, so for $16 I picked up

Joe Cocker, Night Calls, DTS
    steely dan, Gaucho, DTS
    everclear, so much for the afterglow, DVD-A, DTS-ES, hi-rez stereo

It's been a lot of fun so far.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome

Yeah, yeah, I know some of you are die-hard two channel listeners, and I totally respect you for it
    nice to know you still respect me this morning

seriously tho, our CompUSA is still open. I checked it the other day just in case...

Thumbs up Gaucho DTS

I've always considered Gaucho a fine album, one of steely dan's best. I got the chance to listen to the DTS version today, and I'm totally blown away. This sucker is so amazing that I'm having a hard time describing it.

It's bass is incredible, percussion totally, er, percussive, and the clarity of the recording is breathtaking.

Some of these DTS discs are just OK, like the Venus and Mars I listened to earlier, but this one is a total kick. I'm spinning it again, louder!
    Out.

I've always considered Gaucho a fine album, one of steely dan's best. I got the chance to listen to the DTS version today, and I'm totally blown away. This sucker is so amazing that I'm having a hard time describing it.
    I agree, I think it is one of their best too.

I have that album in vinyl, (Japanese import pressing) redbook CD, SACD, and DTS CD... I find the pumped up bass of the DTS mix "fun", but obviously not true to the original. Hearing the horns and back-up singers coming from the rear just destroys it for me. Maybe if I was a musician and used to being in the band it would work, but as an audience member... those special effects are just too special. The DTS highs are also a little crunched sounding... the SACD is significantly better. There is a lack of delicacy on the cymbals and chimes that both the vinyl and SACD have.

Widget

Smile Perhaps

It might be the calibration from system to system and/or the actual equipment in use, but I got no sense of displacement at all with the horns and back up singers. The soundstage was quite solidly up front with acceptable ambience coming from the surrounds.

This is in marked contrast to the McCartney/Wings DTS disc that was annoyingly disorienting at times. Sometimes Paul is

here---------------------------here------------------------------here

--------------------------------here-----------------------------------
    or here.---------------------------------------------(but never here?)

I'll double check the Gaucho highs vs. the vinyl, but unfortunately my vinyl is domestic and well used, so it's not likely to show well in the comparison.

At least we can agree on the music.
    Out.

It might be the calibration from system to system and/or the actual equipment in use, but I got no sense of displacement at all with the horns and back up singers....
    Either you have a different DTS Goucho disc, or you may not have your system set to properly decode DTS 5.1 discs. I assume that you have used a test disc to set the relative levels of the 5 channels and the sub. My recording is DTS CD1014. This is a 20 bit 5.1 recording and I am playing it in DTS 5.1... no effects, synthesized 7.1, or other "music settings."

I haven't played the disc in a few years... I just put it on again and sure enough on cut one, Babylon Sisters, when the horns first appear they pan from the front to the rear and stay in the rear...

Widget

That number isn't evident anywhere in the packaging or on the disc as DTS CD1014, but on the disc itself the mastering house (Technicolor) has etched 51014-2-2.
    Out.

Every CD and record will have a number on the spine. My disc has other numbers on the disc itself but the number on the spine is 7102151014-2-2... so I'd really doubt they are different mixes.

How is your system set up? I can't believe you aren't hearing the horns and singers coming from the rears.

Widget

Talking News Flash for Mr. Widget

Yeah, I'm certain it's the same disc. It's hard to imagine there'd be two versions from DTS.

Rereading your comments, I double checked the display on the FAP-T1+, and there was the answer:

CD--------------DTS+DPLIIx-M 7.1
    Optical 3------------------- -17.5dB

Did you see it? I guess ol' Jim Fosgate's tube-based algorithms neutralized some of Elliot Scheiner's unique mix. Fosgate is a pretty smart guy when it comes to this sort of stuff, and IMO he rarely misses, though Dolby can lose a little in the transition from his tubes to their digital domain. Once I turned DPLIIx-M 7.1 off, in 5.1 DTS it was startlingly as you said.

http://www.dtsonline.com/entertainme...c=710215101422

Tastes differ, though, and I liked it even in pure DTS.
    Out.

Tastes differ, though, and I liked it even in pure DTS.
    Well... no real surprise there.

Widget

If I ever demo the L100s Its done with my jap press of "Hey Nineteen". What were your impressions of Diana Krall ? Just saw her on Letterman. She is way prego with a Elvis double wammy. Her performance was wonderful for TV.

Smile Diana Krall

Quote Originally Posted by bonanzadave
    If I ever demo the L100s Its done with my jap press of "Hey Nineteen". What were your impressions of Diana Krall ? Just saw her on Letterman. She is way prego with a Elvis double wammy. Her performance was wonderful for TV.
    I used to be a Krall skeptic. About five years ago when I was demoing a CRT projector at a local high end shop in its "premier room" HT (very cool room, BTW), the associate put on the DVD Live in Paris and played it LOUD through some overachieving Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series in a 7.1 set up with Krell hardware and Monster Sigma Retro cables (or whatever preceded that line). The room was very attractive, but it was not well-designed and the equipment was overpowering to say the least.

The musicians seemed to be slapping their instruments, her piano sounded like my head had fallen onto the soundboard, and there was so much sibilance and breathiness to her voice that I thought she was shrieking and gasping over my shoulder into my ear.

Needless to say, I lost all interest in B&W speakers and Diana Krall.

Listening to her with Ray Charles on genius loves company made me interested in hearing more, so when I saw this DTS CD, I grabbed it. I must say, I'm a bit of a fan now.
    Out.

Thread Information