Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2235 Break in Time

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanKeehn
    Even with non-recommended cones my system sounds fantastic. When these drivers finally go, I will simply replace them with 2235 H's or with the 1500 AL - God forbid if JBL ever sells them in the US.
    It's great that they work for you. I just think the Lansing Heritage should be kept pure by not incestuously interminging parts within the immediate family.

Geez....cousins far enough removed can marry...but brothers and sisters should never hook-up...as the Creator intended.

Jus' tryin' to keep it real....which is a struggle with non-believers.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

JonathanKeehn
    Purity is fine and admirable but my ears are the final arbiter. The LE 15 doesn't have the power capacity to suit my listening level tastes. Back in the late 60's when I bought a pair of Soveriegn I S8R's I kept destroying the LE 15 Woofers with the JBL energizer which only put out 40 or 60 watts per channel. Fortunately, JBL kept repairing them under warranty. I always appreciated the Alnico bass kick (although some would dispute its existence). I'll trade higher SPL levels for some linearity loss any day. Just my personal taste.

Purity is fine and admirable but my ears are the final arbiter. The LE 15 doesn't have the power capacity to suit my listening level tastes. Back in the late 60's when I bought a pair of Soveriegn I S8R's I kept destroying the LE 15 Woofers with the JBL energizer which only put out 40 or 60 watts per channel. Fortunately, JBL kept repairing them under warranty. I always appreciated the Alnico bass kick (although some would dispute its existence). I'll trade higher SPL levels for some linearity loss any day. Just my personal taste.
    I won't argue with you....you're right.

JonathanKeehn
    Dear Edgewound:

I made an error in my previous posts. My LE15's were reconed with 2215 cones, not the 2231's. I just looked at the 10-yr old boxes and realized my mistake.

Dear Edgewound:

I made an error in my previous posts. My LE15's were reconed with 2215 cones, not the 2231's. I just looked at the 10-yr old boxes and realized my mistake.
    Hi Jonathan....

Thanks for going to the trouble to correct your post...that was good of you. My faith is restored in the reconer who fixed your LE15's right .

Could be you kept frying your originals with underpowered amp clipping that has relativley recently been discovered to be the culprit of burned voice coils....rather than too much power....although that can happen too .

Have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    Could be you kept frying your originals with underpowered amp clipping that has relativley recently been discovered to be the culprit of burned voice coils....rather than too much power....although that can happen too .
    I don't know about relatively recently... unless the '70s is considered relatively recently... but yeah, I have blasted the shit out of LE15As with hundreds of watts for hours at a time and never damaged them... I was in a different room to protect my hearing of course.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I don't know about relatively recently... unless the '70s is considered relatively recently... but yeah, I have blasted the shit out of LE15As with hundreds of watts for hours at a time and never damaged them... I was in a different room to protect my hearing of course.

Widget
    Since I'm in the speaker repair business, this little tidbit of info is almost a daily discovery for some users....especially DJ's that just bought a complete "matched" system from some big box music store....that is motivated to move the "big boxes" out the door whether they are "matched" or not. The systems end up costing the user double due to repair bills by not having enough system to do the job right....let alone well.

User education and restraint is the key to reliability in this arena...but both are lacking terribly.

It's not rocket science to keep the red clip lights from flashing on the VU's.....of course when you're ripped out of your mind...most things do become rocket science

I think along with education there must be an experience factor too... back in the 70's I blew up pretty much one of everything I ever owned... I haven't had to repair or replace anything since... well, except for a wall of speakers one infamous Halloween party but that was a very extreme case in oh so many ways...

Widget

JonathanKeehn
    I would agree with Edgewound that clipping in the JBL 40 W/Channel Energizer could have been the reason I lost 2 LE 15's. I traded in the Energizer and SG 520 Graphic controller for the 60 W / channel JBL SA 600 and never had any more problems with the S8 R's. I can also appreciate why JBL dumped the foam surrounds for accordion rolls - durability.

I can also appreciate why JBL dumped the foam surrounds for accordion rolls - durability.
    What?

That never happened. They did change from the Lans-a-loy foam that stiffened with time to urethane foam that simply falls apart... but woofers used for deep bass where low distortion is required all use foam or rubber surrounds... no one uses cloth for a deep bass woofer.

Widget

JonathanKeehn
    Mr. Widget: I was referring to the bass drivers JBL actually sells as components to the public i.e 2226 and the like. We Americans are too unworthy to be able to actually purchase their top echelon units. It's hard enough to get an occcasional 2235 when they go into very small production runs to satisfy the West Coast sound pros. I'm grateful that JBL still provides replacment cone kits to their service agencies so we can still enjoy 40-yr old technology through the used market. I wonder when Harmon will turn the water off on those too. As you can surmise, I'm not a fan of large corporations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget

Widget
    That must have been when you were a teenager.

But I don't understand why if the room was empty.

But then you upgraded to 1500 subs more recently.

Thread Information