Thread: A quick question about the 4344 in the home

A quick question about the 4344 in the home

I am considering a pair of DIY 4344s as a long term JBL project and I would like to know if my amplifier and room setup are adequate for the 4344. I have a Rotel 5x100W amp. My room is approximately 13' x20' with an 8' ceiling, although the side wall opens into another 13'x20' room.

I see that the MKII has a 200W max continuous amp power rating which makes me wonder if my amp will provide enough headroom to get the full 4344 sound. I have no experience with the large JBL studio monitors, only with various three and two way speakers designed for the home use. For what its worth, I do not have golden ears; they are more likely silver or bronze. Thank you.

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Evets
    . . . . if my amp will provide enough headroom to get the full 4344 sound. . . .
    The simpliest and most direct answer to this specific question is "No." But I wouldn't let that stop me. Further, it depends upon the quality of this amp and how loud you listen, and if you are planning (and you can) to strap some channels together.

My point of view would be to go ahead and build the speakers and upgrade amplification when you can. But if the question behind the questions is whether you will want to upgrade your amplification for listening to those speakers, my answer is, "Yes."

David

Your running 100 watts per channel?? You should be fine. Like Dave says it's not like you can't change amps down the line. I biamp mine and run 300 on the woofers and 100 up top. 300 watts is only about 4-5 Db more headroom. I have ran them using 100 as well and the difference wasn't obvious. I don't push them cause I don't feel the need. They have a good balanced sound at almost any level so you don't need to crank them for them to sound good.

Rob

I assume Evets can use the 5 x 100 watt Rotel to biamp with four of the channels and maybe the 5th channel could be ELF to a 380 sub. Later try bridging the amp too, if it works it will potentially deliver 300 watts

Thank you, one and all, for the advice.

-Steve

Thread Information