Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: EVEREST DD66000

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    Judging from the size of the enclosure for those two fifteen's, I'm guessing very low frequency reproduction is not one of the design goals.

David
    David, they are only 60 grand. Did you want them to do everything?

Don, thanks for taking the pics of Japan. I think they are neat to see. You did a great job taking them.

A couple of observations.

Dual rear flared ports so JBL has not given up on the ported reflex designs.

Big, big ports so tuning is likely into the 30's if not lower.

Did anyone see the Duracell batteries on the front panel? All for charge-coupling, I assume. That Endgadget site had postings about how could they power the system using just 18 volts ?

Did anyone notice the 1501AL woofer has the surround mounted on the FRONT of the cone? Heavens!!! I'm not even sure the surround is made of foam, could it be a thin rubber? Can Don confirm?

Couldn't tell if the 1501AL is a differential drive unit either. The crossovers sure look complicated enough. I do agree that the bipolar electrolytics seem out of place but then enough charge coupled PP caps to match up a 150hz low pass crossover probably would have taken the entire bottom of the cabinet!!

Loved the compound curved cabinets, and the matching curved black rolling dollies used on the floor demonstator. Wonder if those come with the speakers if needed? 314 pounds is alot to move around satisfying the WAF for placement!!

The horns look great but too plain and plastic, even though they are made of plastic!! Maybe the pictures don't do them justice. However, think of what they would look like in a contrasting applied wood veneer or have been made from CNC cut wood?

Edge, I understand where you are coming from. But a Porsche GT2/GT3/Turbo or Carrerra GT represent the state of the art too and are priced like it. My assumption is the Be components are all very very expensive and exclusive. The Cabinets, assembly, and shipping probably account for a significant part of the price too!! If these are actually made here in Northridge, shipping to Japan must be at least a $1K proposition. But maybe JBL will send down the technology to more comparably easy to afford speakers. The Project Array is more doable for more folks.

Congrats, JBL. A fitting product with more than a big nod to JBL's roots.

Regards,

Bart

Woofers sharing enclosure

It would appear that the two 1501AL are mounted in the same enclosure -- there is no dividing wall between them.

Separate enclosures for woofers have been touted on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Daugaard
    It would appear that the two 1501AL are mounted in the same enclosure -- there is no dividing wall between them.

Separate enclosures for woofers have been touted on this forum.
    Don't believe everything you read here.

Seriously, if Greg Timbers was able to use a single volume and reach his goal... I am sure it was the right decision. If I were doing it, I'd still follow what I know has worked the best for me. I'd have two chambers.

Widget

MJC

maybe my son is right

Those speakers look great, but for $60K I'd have to sell my house.
    My son, who spent 3 years in in Japan, while in the Navy, plans on returning to Japan after he finishes electronic school. Maybe I should follow suit, sell the house, move to Japan and plenty of money in my pocket to buy JBLs that will never see stores here in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    Judging from the size of the enclosure for those two fifteen's, I'm guessing very low frequency reproduction is not one of the design goals.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Don't believe everything you read here.

Seriously, if Greg Timbers was able to use a single volume and reach his goal... I am sure it was the right decision. If I were doing it, I'd still follow what I know has worked the best for me. I'd have two chambers.

Widget
    We can understand the design better if we understand the Japanese market better. With their smaller rooms, the Japanese do not normally go for really deep booming bass like we do here. They prefere a quick, tight bass with a different type of tuning.

Many of JBL's best ( K2, DD66000 etc) are designed for Japanese taste..

I'm sure as time goes on we'll learn more about the specs and reasoning behind the speakers...

Sgt. Schultz
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Mr JBL. Could be a Giskard impostor!
    Ian
    Poor Ian, you're such a L

Giskard is reflected in the screen below putting another CD into the machine to see what Don thinks about "C' Est Le Vent, Betty" by Gabriel Yared (or maybe it was "Nobody Does Me" by Diane Schuur).

Perhaps Don can elaborate on his impressions of how the system sounds, including how negatively a room can affect said system. This room was "good". Evidently the previous room was "bad".

As for the other comments; It's a great loudspeaker, easily the best JBL has ever produced, manufacturing compromises aside. I think the comment about previous JBL systems being 80% is a wee bit generous but only a direct comparison would do. I don't recall another JBL system captivating me like this one did and I've "heard 'em all".

Greg asked us to hold off posting the White Paper until Stereo Sound publishes on the 13th of September. It's been hell sitting on all this info since last year.....

Zilch - this schematic is for you to enjoy. Your dilligence over the past few years is impressive indeed. The response curve is without the super tweeter since it is a superfluous item from a functional stand point but nontheless required for the intended marketplace. Don't be put off by the dip around 20 kHz, it was found that the 4-incher goes out to ~ 40 kHz. Is this vindication for the classic JBL 15-inch 2-way? Before the "whatever their names are" get busy with their "audiophile" reviews of this system - those fifteens are quite superlative covering their intended bandwidth as is that 4-inch C.D. Simply stunning!

Grab it while you can since Sgt. Schultz will most likely be banned as a sock puppet as soon as the moderators catch him.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

One post wonder

Vertical horn kind of guy

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz
    Grab it while you can since Sgt. Schultz will most likely be banned as a sock puppet as soon as the moderators catch him.

scottyj

Sgt. Schultz

Hope you're enjoying your time with Col. Klink.

I'm sure several have grabbed the loot in case your puppet loses its sock. As for me, "I see nothing!"
    Out.

Grab it while you can since Sgt. Schultz will most likely be banned as a sock puppet as soon as the moderators catch him. [/quote]

Aha! Say hi to Hogan for me

Nice to hear from you; I was having serious withdrawl..

Speculative tidbits

Visually the new Everest reminds me of the RCA LC-9A in these pictures posted by Earl:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...&highlight=rca

Looks like the new mid driver, like the 2447 and various others, has jettisoned the obsolete 160Hz exponential throat, so it can have that big horn and be time aligned with the woofer, or nearly so. The only other beryllium driver I know of that you can do that with is the TAD 4002 without the throat.

Anybody know what the crossover points are? Edit: I've read Z's post more closely. The woofer/mid crossover is 700 Hz.

JBLnsince1959 makes a good point about the preferences in the Japanese market on bass alignment. I was aware of it but should have mentioned it.

David

Edit: Of course--I forgot to mention--the 243x family of drivers, but the 2435 doesn't go as high as I think a beryllium driver should be able to, and so has some limitation as to application. A two-way most likely is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas

The post isn't going anywhere... but yes, Sgt. Schultz has left the building.

Widget

Thanks to our "1" post wonder!

I agree with the following quote from Sgt Schultz:

"Is this vindication for the classic JBL 15-inch 2-way?"

I too look at this with wonder and anticipation as a 15" 2-way fan!!!!!!

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Thread Information