Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: EVEREST DD66000

That rooms looks really, really HARSH

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    That rooms looks really, really HARSH
    I agree, going to take a lot to help that room from an acoustical standpoint. One giant echo chamber.

I have a better room for them just in case it does not work out.
    Jeff-S1A

Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio View Post
    I have a better room for them just in case it does not work out.
    Me too ... but the house is brand new, the room seems to be not finished.
    [I suppose we will not be invited when it is ready .]

Maybe JBL has delivered too early? :dont-know

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    I could have given them a better home.....
    We all could have!

At $30K each this is the dumbest marketing idea I have ever seen. It will surely be an immediate flop.

Anyway, how much new technology is involved with this product?

It looks like a paper cone driver with a flat wound coil and strong motor. The horn driver looks like a standard compression drivers with a flat wound coil and a strong motor.

Ask your self this; would I like to own four of these or a new turbo Porsche?

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    At $30K each this is the dumbest marketing idea I have ever seen. It will surely be an immediate flop.

It looks like a paper cone driver with a flat wound coil and strong motor. The horn driver looks like a standard compression drivers with a flat wound coil and a strong motor.

A flop? JBL sold over 300 units in the first 4 months they were available, Sept '06~Jan'07.

I'd take 4 of 'em, over the Porsche. But I can't afford either
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Huh? Have you seen what going on with high end stuff, these days? The new top of the line Focal's are $180K/pair.

Makes the JBL's seem like a bargain. Probably way more technology built into the JBL's as well, IMHO.

Are you trolling?

At $30K each this is the dumbest marketing idea I have ever seen.
    They sell pretty well as far as I have read in this forum.
    It will surely be an immediate flop.
    Right from the start in 2006 there was a surprising strong demand in Japan and elsewhere.
    Read the DD66000 Technical White Paper
    There are the finest speakers of their class you can get. It would be difficulty to get an equvalent set of speakers by another manufacturer.
    Two would be enough. In case I would buy them my wife would insist on a BMW Z4. It is an endless debate ... .

Obsolete
    JBL sold more than twice the target amount and has been buried under production demand ever since. They simply can't make enough of them fast enough.
    Read the white paper I provided.
    It isn't even a contest and I'd prefer five instead of four.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    It isn't even a contest and I'd prefer five instead of four.
    If I could even afford two, I'd build a room just for 'em.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

I would take a new ZO6 Vette and a pair of these for when I get tired of the Vette.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    JBL sold more than twice the target amount and has been buried under production demand ever since. They simply can't make enough of them fast enough
    Which is just fine with me, because it says to me, JBL can and will remain in business, and be around for a while!

scottyj

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    if i could afford it, I would take the JBLs too....

besides,
    have you seen what used porsche boxsters are going for recently?

I don't think this is an ill-conceived marketing ploy at all - JBL would not build these without carefully surveying their best markets to find out what buyers want to buy. It turns out their best marketplace for it is Japan, but that's not a surprise to anyone who knows the market for both vintage and current high-end JBL.

I went back and read the complete thread, then read Don McRitchie's JBL history article for Stereo Sound that's here:
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=17337

I learned that this is another statement speaker in a long line of such products that long time JBL customers practically expect JBL to produce. It also fits right in with all of the points of the mission statement put forward by Bill Thomas in 1952 (see page 14 of the Stereo Sound article):
    1) Institutionalize aesthetics in all aspects of product and graphic design
    2) Establish JBL at the forefront in technical excellence.
    3) Develop a marketing strategy based on a prestige image.

I'm sure that anyone living in the US and wealthy enough to buy a pair could get a set if they wanted too (and were willing to wait I suppose). I think the $60k price has to be taken in context - I heard yesterday on the radio of a promenant NY state business owner who's moving to Florida to reduce his tax burden - the property taxes on just his lakeside home were $165,000 each year. He could buy a pair and still have money left over for the Porsche, and probably not even notice it in his balance sheet!

What I wonder is this - what will they produce in the future to surpass this?

Quote Originally Posted by tomee View Post

What I wonder is this - what will they produce in the future to surpass this?
    I hope it's another fantastic four-way, direct radiator system. The big three-way horn systems have always been the high profile statement speakers, but systems like the L250/250Ti are to my mind the high water mark of design, sound, and value.

They're getting a bit long in the tooth (driver-wise anyway), so it's time for JBL to remake its iconic four-way into the pinnacle of direct radiator sound again. It's harder I suppose with the excellent Revel Ultima2 Salon already in the Harman line up, but the door is wide open for a JBL four-way with a big woofer instead of a line of 8" woofers.

With the Performance Series stack at $7,000 retail, $4,000 street per pair; the 1400 Array at $12,000 retail, $8,000 street per pair; then the $4,000 to $5,000 space between them is a good place for a new four-way statement speaker. It probably already is drawn up somewhere, waiting...
    Out.

Thread Information