Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Comments on Don's Tokyo adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    (snip)
    All I can say is I flipped when I saw the store with ALL the Altec, JBL, even a Gauss, all the vintage American tube stuff, and not just ANY stuff, the REAL McCoy! The Iconic, I have never seen one, let alone heard one, I was always told what we had in the 70,s came from what James B Lansing did way back when.

I find it incredible that the Japanese market has such a lust and thirst for the classic American Audio items. I know what some of that stuff can sound like. Just a few watts of the right tube power and the right high efficiency speakers, and you hear something that sounds like REAL music, thats what it is they know! Just like I know.

I want to go shopping in Japan and rescue some of that stuff!
    Yeah, the loot in there was amazing.

I think your last comment overlooks the fact that that gear has already been rescued.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Yeah, the loot in there was amazing.

I think your last comment overlooks the fact that that gear has already been rescued.
    I know.

Ill say this, when I walked in my place this morning, I looked around, I have no reason to be jealous. I have my very own functioning, working museum of classic American Audio. And my system is GIGANTIC!

Pictures will be up on the Eldorado thread by the weekend, and I really have to say what fantastic pictures Don takes. Makes one feel the place as well as see it, very excellent photography. Even the people in the pictures seem really happy. Nice to see people having such a good time. Refreshing, especially after yesterdays homage to 9/11.

Looking at all the vintage gear, both in peoples homes, stores, and working buisinesses makes me feel very lucky and fortunate to have what I do. Not to mention that I know what it is I have. How many got rid of what they thought was just old junk? At least it seems a good deal of it survived and went to where it is appreciated!

Now, being something of a train geek also, I would definitely be going for a ride on the bullet train, they look hot.

Outstanding photography, of an outstanding trip, Don, you actually got me out of Coney Island for a bit, I was there, or at least I felt like I was.

scottyj

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    Or maybe, they are really seeking to hear what they have heard is really good. This doesnt mean that nothing made today is good, just that what used to be made was also good, and in many cases quite special.
    The fact that speaker drivers and crossovers continue to improve, doesn't change the fact that if a speaker system was a very good system when it came to market, say 30 years ago, its still a very good system today.
    It only the garbage speakers that don't last.

I've added some comments on the Day 3 and 5 threads. Unfortunately, I have run out of time before adding all of the comments that I would like. I have to prepare to leave Japan in the next few hours, so its off to pack for me. I should be posting again in a day or two, depending on how much sleep I need when I get back.

Don

MJC
    Don, thanks for the great pics of the premier of the DD66000 and of Tokyo.
    Have a good trip home.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    I've added some comments on the Day 3 and 5 threads. Unfortunately, I have run out of time...
    Thanks again Don!
    I know we all wish we could have been there with you, but you have done a wonderful job making us feel as though we were.

Widget

Excellent. I now know I AM NOT crazy! For the last three years I myself buy vintage things of the type I use that I know cant be repaired because of parts NLA! There ARE others out there like ME!

I like that guy Swifty from the Basie Jazz Bar!

Really cool, thanks for sharing, this has been great.

scottyj

Thanks for sharing this with us!! Have a safe trip home.

Rob

Thanks, Don!

As I write this, Don is probably tucked in his airplane seat headed home. It was a real pleasure to have had the opportunity to meet Don in Tokyo and spend some time together. As one can see from the pictures he's posted, his Japanese hosts, both Harman Japan and Stereo Sound have really made him feel welcome, and I could tell that he was really enjoying his first visit to Japan from the conversations we had. On a personal note, without his suggestion I don't know if I ever would have made the visit to meet Doc Mikami at his clinic/museum in Yokosuka (about 20 miles southwest of Tokyo) on my own. Later that day I invited him to a yakitori restaurant in Kagurazaka, which is one of the old entertainment districts where there still are left a few geisha houses. Although I wasn't able to arrange a geisha party for Don, I made sure he tasted some rare sake, prepared cold as this is the way to really savor the taste.

I suggested to Don that he organize a LH trip to Japan one of these days. I'll be more than happy to help with the itenerary and entertainment. I'm sure that there are other Japan-based members who would love to meet fellow members and just have a good time.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Don for taking the time to meet me. It's always nice to make new friends.

Steve K
    Tokyo

I lived in Asia for years and spent a lot of time living in Tokyo. I hae been to the stores Don showed and it brought back a lot of memories. I really enjoyed his pictures and thought about the friends I left and the memories I still have. Japan is a beautiful place and incredible to visit.

Thanks Don for a wonderful series

Thanks for sharing this with us Don!

I spent 1982 - 1984 in Yokosuka, but missed a lot of good stuff as audio was not my priority back then.

Wish I could afford to go back for a visit.......

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

I have finished annotating all of the picture threads and have added a thread for the last day - Day 6.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    I have finished annotating all of the picture threads and have added a thread for the last day - Day 6.
    Thanks, Don.

Great texture and color composition in all your photos - even the "quick" shots. They are not only about the place, but about the people, daily life, their industry and all. Thanks for the effort, and congratulations again on the personal recognition in getting invited by JBL. Fantastic, especially at this time...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Don,
    You posted wonderful pictures and commentary. I hope you had a great time. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Question A few questions

Say Don

When you were in the high end shops, did you get the chance to listen to anything, JBL or otherwise? If so, can you share your subjective opinions on any that impressed you?

During all the excitement about the new Eveerst, was there any discussion about the K2 and its future?

Speaking of the Everest and K2, can you comment on similarities/differences besides the obvious?

With all that heat and humidity (looks wet in most pictures), have your clothes dried out yet?

Thanks for an interesting photo journal.
    Out.

Thread Information