Thread: Another l100 thread

Another l100 thread

Hey guys just wondering are these the only caps inside of the century l100s? Asking because I know how much of a difference capacitors can make inside of a guitar/audio amplifier and if these are all that need replacing I'll order some new Dynamicaps ASAP.

http://i21.ebayimg.com/02/i/08/28/f0/94_1.JPG

Thanks,

Tony

Just two per speaker then, thats 58 bucks for the 4ufs. Crap Dynamicap don't make a 1.5 hmm. Any other recommendations?

Well, there's two different crossovers there, with different values.

You need to determine which you have.

The pic you show is an "A," looks like, as there are no inductors.

I'd put Solen metallized polypros in and forget about spending such big bucks on caps....

Yeah i think the dynicaps are a bit much in this application, but given the amp that they'll be hooked up to i think a cap updgrade is well warranted. Perhaps Auricaps are the way to go would spend a total of around 80bucks including shipping and then the l100's could get me through the hump till i upgrade to something better. Oh and its the l100 with the le25 le5(soon to be replaced with 104h2) and i believe 123a-3 but i'm not sure on that one. Also if i don't spend a ridiculous ammount of money on exotic parts how can I even hope to make my system sound good???

Quote Originally Posted by SETriode
    Yeah i think the dynicaps are a bit much in this application, but given the amp that they'll be hooked up to i think a cap updgrade is well warranted. Perhaps Auricaps are the way to go would spend a total of around 80bucks including shipping and then the l100's could get me through the hump till i upgrade to something better.
    Once you get to a certain level of performance, the margin between the good and the "very good" gets slim. I thought the boutique caps would make a huge difference in a recent upgrade but it provided almost no noticable improvement over the PE brand.

Oh and its the l100 with the le25 le5(soon to be replaced with 104h2) and i believe 123a-3 but i'm not sure on that one. Also if i don't spend a ridiculous ammount of money on exotic parts how can I even hope to make my system sound good???

You don't have to spend a lot of money to make your system sound good. Taming your room, getting clean (dedicated) power supply, placement, isolation, and avoiding interference all add up to BIG improvements for little money. Even a $30K rig falls short if the details are neglected. Good luck!

Thumbs up

Hehe I was being sarcastic about that. Although I don't think a cap upgrade would be at all detrimental, I can see the logic in going with some solens instead of the fancy fancy stuff. But then again I do know that when you use those high end caps, fancy silver wire, plastic conductive pots etc etc there is a very very noticable improvent sound. Now I've never used these good of parts on speakers, but having heard their effect in amplifiers the result is me begging the question.

As we all know with this kind of hobby there is a point of diminishing returns and in the end it's really up to the individual to determine where and when that point begins. The good news is of course due to my current student status and lack of disposable income I won't be able to go too far.

I believe this will give you the best bang for the buck using Solen main caps and audiocaps bypass caps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I would put inductors on the woofer and midrange to try and tame the midrange output a bit. Choking off the LF and MF drivers might leave a little more voltage for the HF, and a little more output as well.

So many decisions...........Well I just got my SET triode amp hooked up and installed some 104h-2's and holy crap!!! I can hear everything!! At first the 104's weren't that much of an improvement, but after i realized that since their magnet is 1/3 as big as the le5's they replace and i stuffed some polyfill in behind them they really came alive! i'm actually enjoying listening to CDs I can even hear when vocalists breath in and out or step back or into the microphone . (I can't wait until my phono preamp is done!!)

So naturally I now want to upgrade my crossovers and its a tough call between the auricaps for 78.72 or building a whole new set of CC crossovers. I think for now I'll just order the auricaps so i can just swap them in and then start to get the parts together for a pair of CC crossovers to compare the two.

Polyfill is good! The chage coupled crossover will cost about the same as the the one you're already making. The difference they made on mine was most obvious with classical music. They beat the rap that L100s are only rock speakers, but rock and jazz sounded a hell of a lot better too. Before building the CC network, I bypassed the stock caps with .01 polypropyline (how do you spell that?) and .001 Polystyrene caps. That was a very noticable improvement as well.

Smile Close!

It's a tough one: polypropylene.
    Out.

Thread Information