Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Booming Bass...Collapsing lungs

Well at least the LRAD's are being used as an alternative means to just shooting someone. So their hearts are the right place some of the time maybe. Orginally the inventor of the LRAD's wanted to make a device that projected sound like a flashlight projects light. Now given the fact that this had never been done before he was gonna need a little bit of cash for R&D and who better to go to than the US gov? Also the smaller units for museums and such are 1'x1' and bout a half inch thick! I can't wait till they start making them for home audio!!!

http://www.holosonics.com/index.html

Audiobeam

It's available. At the Expo in Hannover I heard it, it has an extreme sharp beam. It doesn't bend the laws of physics, it works with ultrasound.
    http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...nsf/root/09859

Southern California, Orange County, Huntington Beach
    While im trying to make the listen area bigger, people are making it smaller, i wonder how that sounds.. Anyone find a picture on that WWII weapon of sound?

Eminent Tech TRW 17 - The Most Powerful Subwoofer in the World!
    http://www.sonicflare.com/archives/e...-the-world.php

Mmm.. turning an attic into a infrasonic-subwoofer box, that might be fun

http://www.rotarywoofer.com/index.htm
    That thing looks like it spins?... Well i guess a fan does move more air then a woofer >_>
    Young, but i love speakers!

Rotorary subs have been around in one form or another for awhile. Phoenix Gold had the Cyclone for caraudio use at least 10yrs ago. It still needed a box though: http://www.phoenixgold.com/webfaq/cyclone.htm

Southern California, Orange County, Huntington Beach
    Heh wonder how w ell it works, looks kinda neat anyway, hard to imagine how it moves though, my eye says it spins, but..
    Young, but i love speakers!

Bringing the house down - Off Topic Warning!

The attic installation makes me nervous as a homeowner. My instincts are telling me one hz at decent power levels is not good for a house's structural integrity. I picture flooring and wall cracks at the very least.

When I was much younger I was mowing our family lawn and happened to be looking at the roof when a large sonic boom occured. The roof visibly flexed!

To explain, in the late fifties, I think it was, B-58 Hustlers were flown weekly down the length of lake michigan at supersonic speeds. The topography resembles that of the bombing run to a prime military target in the then Soviet Union. We never knew exactly when they would happen, but it was the same day every week. It was really, really loud, like an F111 at least.

Even more off topic , does the name Thomas Ferebee ring a bell? He is the man who flew the Enola Gay to the target and dropped the Hiroshima bomb. When a plane using a Norden bombsight made a bombing run, the bombardier flew the plane using the controls on the bombsight. The pilot would tell the bombardier he had the airplane and take his hands off the yoke. The pilot's controls then moved as if on autopilot. (Don't look for that now, as fly by wire is upon us.) So...Ferebee, not Tibbets, flew the plane that dropped the bomb. He was the one aircrew member aboard who did not know what he was dropping. http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...s&ct=clnk&cd=4

I know, I'd have to discuss what I had for breakfast to be any more off topic. But I'm going to research this company to seek the answer to my watts needed for what hz at equal perceived spl question.

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    This thread has turned ironic for me. I love audio so much, and here it is being turned into a military & police weapon. Like braining someone with a statue of the Buddha.

I do remember reading about Tesla's vibrating platform. He used a small cylindrical machine powered by compressed air to generate the subsonic waves, coupling it to the platform mechanically. The laxative effect was created by a very specific frequency, if I remember right.

I admire Tesla to an almost unlimited degree. Anyone who could imagine and visualize rotating magnetic fields in his head when none existed was way beyond "normal" genius. Not a modest man, he considered himself apart from other inventors, regarding himself as a discoverer.

For what it is worth, my junior high science project was a large Tesla coil built from Popular Science plans. It had a beautiful 811A tube with a plate cap, the largest tube I have ever personally used. I warned you all that I grew up with an Allied Industrial Catalog and the RCA Receiving Tube Manual. Geek spoken here...

Clark in Peoria
    In the early morning hours thou not every early night that often occurs just before 5am and lasts for several minutes while being wide in range as this tends to cover a great distance but where is the source location to this, not intrusive sound? Just curious as to why it only happens every few weeks or months apart?

Ducatista47 what does the “Tesla's vibrating platform” look like hmmm? I don’t know if this sound is coming from Hurn airport but at that hour and with no change in the direction of the sound I know it isn’t aircraft or even a helicopter because the pitch doesn’t move around (it only varies up and down) and then goes off! Then it comes back on again!

I was thinking some jokers with mobile 4x4 with tower that can be erected on the back of the vehicle with high powered PA speakers as to what type and some type of sound generator or maybe a laptop computer playing the sound.

Right now I can hear an jet aircraft taking off and thou some tend to have different hollow sounds as its been trusted upwards, this strange sound is different from most. I was really considering it to be an U.F.O. hovering over Bournemouth, somewhere but that’s the nuttiest idea of all.

Thread Information