Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Booming Bass...Collapsing lungs

Booming Bass...Collapsing lungs

Hey all...

For some reason...call me twisted...whatever...I find this article to be rather amusing...wait...no....Hilarious. A Darwin Award should have been handed out if it wasn't. It's from a recent article in my local newspaper...regarding car stereo.

Article Launched: 08/28/2006 12:00:00 AM PDT
    Driving legends unfold
    Michelle Groh-Gordy, Correspondent
    Can your lungs collapse if you crank up the bass on your car stereo? Did the wife of singer James Brown really try to get out of a traffic citation by claiming she had diplomatic immunity because her husband had been given the honorary title "Ambassador of Soul"? Can putting a banana in a vehicle's tailpipe cause it to stall?
    These are just a few of the titillating urban driving legends that have been repeated so many times and appear to be so outrageous that you can't help but wonder whether they're true.
    Can your lungs collapse if you crank up the bass on your car stereo?
    If breathing is high on your priority list, then you better keep your car stereo turned down. According to a 2004 report in the medical journal Thorax, four young men died when their lungs collapsed due to the booming bass from extraordinarily loud music.
    One of the men had customized his car with a 1,000-watt sound system. According to the report, the quartet's lungs ruptured when thundering bass caused their lungs to vibrate at the same frequency as the music. Just a suggestion: Someone might want to shoot a memo about this off to MTV's "Pimp My Ride."
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Once I saw in a TV show a van with six big woofers in the back. It was a sort of challange ... who has the loudest ...They measured over 140 db within the car. The "testers" were wise enough to stay outside.

My favorite story is, the myth about the "Brown Note".

The story of the Brown Note, also known as the “Disco Dump,” asserts the existence of a low frequency vibration which, when reproduced at sufficient volume, resonates with the depths of the human digestive tract to cause what medical personnel call “involuntary gastrointestinal motility.” Put in less technical terms, the Brown Note reputedly precipitates a loss of sphincter control, giving rise to immediate defecation. Different versions of the myth place the frequency between 5 and 20 Hz, and recent variations claim that the effect has been produced at loud rock concerts.

Go to following for more details: http://www.meyersound.com.au/brownnote.shtm

Then again, maybe it's not a myth, Mayersound was not using JBL speakers.

Intersting news about the bass music and rupteured lungs. Some information can be found online. The journal artcle abstact is free, but I think they want money to read the article. BBC news has a nice article.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3614180.stm
    http://thorax.bmjjournals.com/cgi/co...urcetype=HWCIT

On a brown note, wikipeida has an article
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_note

Quote Originally Posted by Baron030

I think this myth started from tesla`s massage machine

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/...ola_Tesla.html

He apparently had a machine that you couldn not stay on for more than 3 minets
    I read i a book on him
    That said the machine was so pleasant
    Mark twain refused to come down and he ended up crapping him self
    not actually a note but a frequancy (infrasonic or otherwise)
    http://www.medpot.net/forums/

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

mention lansing heritage for 10% off

Anthony L100

Put in less technical terms, the Brown Note reputedly precipitates a loss of sphincter control, giving rise to immediate defecation.

Never drive your sphincter below it's resonant frequency

Thumbs up

Great article Edge!

JBL 4645
    Man you’ve made my skin crawl with that opening remake for this topic! I wouldn’t muck around with sound too much the FBI uses it as an acoustic weapon to get the drug dealers out of there house with a baby scream played at 140db in reverse!

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645
    ...the FBI uses it as an acoustic weapon to get the drug dealers out of there house with a baby scream played at 140db in reverse...

is this true?

i have a record, A Child’s Cry - A Clue To Diagnosis, it was used to help diagnose irregular infant coughs... put out by a drug company, I think phizer, in the 60s (I think)

http://waxidermy.com/2006/08/29/a-ch...-to-diagnosis/

Originally Posted by JBL 4645
    ...the FBI uses it as an acoustic weapon to get the drug dealers out of there house with a baby scream played at 140db in reverse...
    Actually, this is no joke.
    The FBI and our U.S. troops really do have a sound weapon.
    The device is called a Long Range Acoustic Device, or LRAD.
    And it was developed by American Technology Corp. of San Diego

Here is a link to a story about this new device:
    http://washingtontimes.com/national/...0634-6220r.htm

The story of the Brown Note, also known as the “Disco Dump,” asserts the existence of a low frequency vibration which, when reproduced at sufficient volume, resonates with the depths of the human digestive tract to cause what medical personnel call “involuntary gastrointestinal motility.” Put in less technical terms, the Brown Note reputedly precipitates a loss of sphincter control, giving rise to immediate defecation. Different versions of the myth place the frequency between 5 and 20 Hz, and recent variations claim that the effect has been produced at loud rock concerts.

Go to following for more details: http://www.meyersound.com.au/brownnote.shtm

Then again, maybe it's not a myth, Mayersound was not using JBL speakers.

Man, you gotta be shittin' me.

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    Hey all...

For some reason...call me twisted...whatever...I find this article to be rather amusing...wait...no....Hilarious. A Darwin Award should have been handed out if it wasn't. It's from a recent article in my local newspaper...regarding car stereo.

Article Launched: 08/28/2006 12:00:00 AM PDT
    Driving legends unfold
    Michelle Groh-Gordy, Correspondent
    Can your lungs collapse if you crank up the bass on your car stereo? Did the wife of singer James Brown really try to get out of a traffic citation by claiming she had diplomatic immunity because her husband had been given the honorary title "Ambassador of Soul"? Can putting a banana in a vehicle's tailpipe cause it to stall?
    These are just a few of the titillating urban driving legends that have been repeated so many times and appear to be so outrageous that you can't help but wonder whether they're true.
    Can your lungs collapse if you crank up the bass on your car stereo?
    If breathing is high on your priority list, then you better keep your car stereo turned down. According to a 2004 report in the medical journal Thorax, four young men died when their lungs collapsed due to the booming bass from extraordinarily loud music.
    One of the men had customized his car with a 1,000-watt sound system. According to the report, the quartet's lungs ruptured when thundering bass caused their lungs to vibrate at the same frequency as the music. Just a suggestion: Someone might want to shoot a memo about this off to MTV's "Pimp My Ride."
    In my younger(and stupider ) days back when I was into competiton car audio big time, I sat in several vehicles that would hit north of 150db's(my truck would only do low 130's as it was setup more for sq). Although my lungs didn't collapse while in the 150+db vehicles...it was however very hard to breath when the db's really started climbing. Even with ear protection it would make my ears/head feel stuffy and made my sinus' ache. The pressure sorta felt like my head was in a vise. Not to mention you could feel your insides vibrating...but no loss of sphincter control .

Most competiton spl cars don't do low freq's that well. Mostly higher frequency bass it what they are after, but it can still hurt ya though.

Man I love BASS!!!

Southern California, Orange County, Huntington Beach
    Partly skimming through it, but has anyone ever mentioned
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...und/reson.html
    Natural Resonance Frequencies?
    Young, but i love speakers!

The LRADs are pretty sweet, I believe they even make a commercial version for museums and the like to provide audio information on exibits or pieces , but only when you're standing under or directly infront of the "speaker" is any sound audible(anyone thinkin what I'm thinkin?). The military ones on the other hand are something like 10000 times more powerful than those and thats whats being used for borders, stand offs, iraq etc.

And as far as death by SPLs go Germany did develop one of them thingys back in WWII. It would basically cause your heart and head to explode the pressure was something like being pulled 50 or 100 feet under water and back up again 30 or 60 times per second. Not sure of the specs but it was a sweet looking woofer.

This thread has turned ironic for me. I love audio so much, and here it is being turned into a military & police weapon. Like braining someone with a statue of the Buddha.

I do remember reading about Tesla's vibrating platform. He used a small cylindrical machine powered by compressed air to generate the subsonic waves, coupling it to the platform mechanically. The laxative effect was created by a very specific frequency, if I remember right.

I admire Tesla to an almost unlimited degree. Anyone who could imagine and visualize rotating magnetic fields in his head when none existed was way beyond "normal" genius. Not a modest man, he considered himself apart from other inventors, regarding himself as a discoverer.

For what it is worth, my junior high science project was a large Tesla coil built from Popular Science plans. It had a beautiful 811A tube with a plate cap, the largest tube I have ever personally used. I warned you all that I grew up with an Allied Industrial Catalog and the RCA Receiving Tube Manual. Geek spoken here...

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Thread Information