Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ring Radiator Hisssssss

Well, I've made some progress with the ring radiators. I bought off ebay a Crown D-75 and am waiting for it to arrive. As well I bought all the required pieces to build two Velleman K4001 chip amps and two K1823 power supplies. Everything cost about $110. I'm using large 25V transformers and substantial heatsinks. They work great and have all the power required. The power supplies are stable and way over powered for the little amps. I build two back panels for the cabinets. One set has the standard speaker wire terminal block and the second set has the chip amps, power suppies, AC cord, and RCA connector. This way I can switch between the two configurations (internal amp or un-powered) by simply swapping the back panel on the cabinet.

The only problem is that I have to run AC and interconnect cables to each enclosure. This could be 15' - 20' from the amps, preamp, and crossover depending where I ultimately place my stereo system.

If I build another set of ring radiator enclosures I may sell this set with the walnut veneer cabinets, chip amps, and 2402H radiators. They really do look sharp and sound fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by HipoFutura
    The only problem is that I have to run AC and interconnect cables to each enclosure. This could be 15' - 20' from the amps, preamp, and crossover depending where I ultimately place my stereo system.
    I don't get why you don't just build a cab for the chipamps and their power supplies into your rack and run the output high-level speaker wires only, instead....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    I don't get why you don't just build a cab for the chipamps and their power supplies into your rack and run the output high-level speaker wires only, instead....
    Zilch, that is waaay to logical! Actually, I will probably put them into a box so I can have a small amp to experiment with. I'm curious to see what type of fidelity they have across the entire audio spectrum. I do like the idea of a pair of self contained UHF enclosures, but it make no practical sense.

Thank you again for all the help!

Don

it used to be common knowlege, or an urban myth, or perhaps it was an urban myth that it was common knowlege. That 075's were used as ultra sonic devices in traffic lights. Don't know where I first heard that but I've heard it many times. Doesn't make it true. I'm not sure if I ever saw it in print but made up or real I didn't make it up.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom
    it used to be common knowlege, or an urban myth, or perhaps it was an urban myth that it was common knowlege. That 075's were used as ultra sonic devices in traffic lights. Don't know where I first heard that but I've heard it many times. Doesn't make it true. I'm not sure if I ever saw it in print but made up or real I didn't make it up.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=12208

Thread Information