Thread: Second DEQX is here...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Second DEQX is here...

Hi all

Well it looks like the big test will be this weekend. As a couple of you know I am adding a second Deqx 2.6P to my system there-by eliminating the need for a seperate Preamp, EQ, External Dac and Crossover.

The fellow I purchased it from said it was brand new and only hooked up once. He found using it way beyond his comfort level and decided to sell it. Sure enough, the remote has never been out of the package. The Deqx itself looks brand new. Quite the score...

Here is a photo of the loot...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thumbs up Nice.

You have a knack for finding these pieces of equipment. Hope it goes well.
    Out.

Deqx Testing Etc.

Hi All

I got some time over the last 2 weekends to play around with the dual Deqx systems.

I am definately having issues linking the two together. Deqx has put out a simple 2 page explanation on how to sync them together but it's not exactly thourough. It also does not correspond to the new software and firmware either.

I have the Master PDC setup under Profile 1 as a Bi-Amp with Subs dissabled as per Deqx instructions. I have setup a 24db Linkw filter at 250hz. Master PDC channels L2 and R2 are feeding an analog signal to my woofer amp 250hz down.

The left and right signals above 250hz are being sent via Digital outlet #2 into the main Digital input on the Slave PDC. The signal is then split into three stereo channels at >250hz to 1420hz being sent to the LF outputs. The MF outputs are getting >1420hz to 4500hz and finaly the HF outputs are getting >4500hz.

My problem is insufficient gain on the stereo pairs above 1420hz. You will see this in the photos. When the 2 PDC's are linked with the RS232 cable the Master PDC's volume control overides the Slave PDC's volume control.

In the photos I have an analog source entering the Master PDC. The volume is up to full as are the seperate gain controls on the Slave PDC's(+20db) L2/R2 (1420>) and L3/R3 (>4500) channels.

Brain fry guys........the answer is in front of me but I don't see it???

You know the feeling

PS: It is nice to have 2 laptops for this.......makes it much easier.....those with Deqx's will understand.
    Ken

Slave PDC Setup

Pictures of the Slave PDC Setup

Ken,

Can I made a suggestion but it will cost you a donute!

Attempt to hook up one DEQX and feed the to the Westake crossover for the woofers and midrange cone.

This will offer the benefits of the DEQX in the critical midrange and top end without the complexity of two DEQX.

Yes it is a compromise but its worth a try.

Ian

Why can't you just daisy chain them like conventional crossovers?? Set one for subwoofer and feed the top to the second for a 3 way. End up with a 4 way stereo set up. Won't let you do it?? Do you have to link them so you loose control over level on the slave??? You can set them up for 2 way operation can't you??

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    The signal is ... split into three stereo channels at:
    L/R1: >250hz to 1420hz being sent to the LF outputs.
    L/R2: >1420hz to 4500hz MF
    L/R3: >4500hz are HF
    Apologies for the edits...

Hi, Ken...

The imbedded pic suggests you've inadvertantly imposed a steep rolloff and Lo-pass/Hi-cut filter above/at 1420Hz. The graphic response suggests you're hi-cutting the entire signal by the output parameters of L/R1...

Check the parameters on all filters at all crossover points (particularly at 1420Hz) and ensure you have not unintentionally entered a conflicting set of slopes/filters.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Are you liking them so far? I always spent more time messing with my Tact settings when my mood changed than listening to music. Much better sound on bad speakers though.

I think I'm glad that stuff didn't exist when I was young. When I got stoned I would tinker with my crossovers till they were "perfect" and of course the next day I had to make them perfect again cause someone had messed them all up last night. Can you imagine with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Shuster
    Are you liking them so far? I always spent more time messing with my Tact settings when my mood changed than listening to music. Much better sound on bad speakers though.
    As a matter of fact yes. I kept 2 and sold the third. I think Julie's cousin and her husband described it best. The system sounds more clear. It's just that simple.

I have a basic 4-way setup only and have not had time to do serious measurements or correction filters. I am using the PAA2 to take readings and manually setting the parametric eq. With very little tweaking it sounds as good as the HRX and according to the people mentioned above.....better.

How do (did) you like your Tact system? I came across one for sale at 800 bucks but passed. Version 2.0 bought in 2003.

Ken

Thread Information