Thread: JBL D130F--Yellow vs Orange Label??

JBL D130F--Yellow vs Orange Label??

I've got my eye on a pretty nice looking D130F, a 1968. It has an orange sticker/label on the back of the dust cover instead of the yellow one I'm accustomed to seeing. Is this speaker any different from those with the yellow label, or are they identical except for the different colored sticker? Thanks, Steve K.

The orange foilcal units were sold to Fender as OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) for installation in their products.

If it's an "F" model without the orange, JBL sold it directly, or to other manufacturers, but the driver is identical....

Z,

Many thanks--that's very helpful. Let me make sure I've got this right, then: The orange and foil label speakers are identical, except the organe lable indicates the speaker was sold directly to Fender--if so, that makes sense as this speaker came out of a '68 Fender Showman. Thanks again, Steve

Oh, a little PS--there's a small dent in the dust cover/aluminum disc on the front of the speaker. I'm assuming that doesn't effect the sound? If so, can these be replaced?

In detail, it does affect the sound, of course.

I pop them out with a mini vacuum, but that rarely gives a perfect result.

Your local factory authorized JBL speaker reconer can replace the dome with the proper part.

Your local speaker repair hacker may or may not get it right....

[There's skill and effort required. Slapping a new dome over top of the old one is NOT a workable approach.]

Many thanks! Steve

KenTone
    Steve, congratulations on getting that JBL D130F speaker !!
    I knew which one you had your eye on.
    That was a good price.
    Especially since it was an orange-frame speaker. They normally sell for $200-$250.
    For some reason people think the orange-frame is better, and are willing to pay more.
    Other than the color, there is nothing special about the orange versus the grey-frame.

I took a close look at the dented dome, it doesn’t look that bad, and I think you can just use a piece of tape to pull the dent out.
    Although you may have some very slight creases afterwards.

Other than the dented dome, the speaker looks to be in mint condition.
    Once again, congratulations on getting that speaker.

KT,

Thanks very much for the rassurance--I'm pretty much a Neanderthal when it comes to speakers, and it's really good to hear I made a respectable purchase. I think you just made my day. Oh, also, thanks fot the tip on the dome. Alternatively (given my general technical incompetence) would you send this thing off to JBL or Ted Weber or someone to either (a) pop the dent out, or (b) install a new dome? Thanks again, Steve

KenTone
    I would try to pull the dent out first.
    If it doesn’t pull out, then you could send it in.
    If you’re going to pay for the shipping in both directions, you may as well have them put on a new dome.
    The dome itself is only about $3.00, and Ted Weber would be the least expensive for both parts & labor.

I have a JBL D130F whose dome had a big dent.
    I compared it to another JBL D130F I have whose dome is perfect, and I myself couldn’t hear any difference.
    After I tried out the speaker, I used a piece of tape, and got out the big dent.
    Be careful how much downward pressure you use. The dome does flex and push in quite easily.
    It's almost as if the dome was made out of mylar, if you know what I mean.

K,

Thanks so much for walking me through this--be certain your efforts are genuinely apprediated. Best, Steve

Thread Information