Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Altec Flamenco I need your opinions

Since you never asked for advice or opinions on AK, I could not post without getting banned for gratuitous "Thread-crapping."

I could have PM'd you, I suppose, but....

In the period since you originally posted this thread, a group of us have pretty thoroughly sussed out 846A/B Valencias, essentially the same speakers, the major thread being here on LHF, but plenty of supplemental info also on AK. Advanced Search under my ID both places will turn up the threads and posts, if you're interested. The bottom line is shown here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...450#post211450

And the saga here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=14690

If you like 'em, fine; there's plenty who do, but the info is available if/when you care to pursue it....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Since you never asked for advice or opinions on AK, I could not post without getting banned for gratuitous "Thread-crapping."

I could have PM'd you, I suppose, but....

In the period since you originally posted this thread, a group of us have pretty thoroughly sussed out 846A/B Valencias, essentially the same speakers, the major thread being here on LHF, but plenty of supplemental info also on AK. Advanced Search under my ID both places will turn up the threads and posts, if you're interested. The bottom line is shown here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...450#post211450

And the saga here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=14690

If you like 'em, fine; there's plenty who do, but the info is available if/when you care to pursue it....
    Thanks Zilch. I never asked for opinions over there for couple of reasons. One being that I did'nt want to alert the locals of the sale before I had the deal done and risk losing them to someone else. I did'nt even speak about it over there untill I had already arranged a viewing with the seller and he told me that I was first in line. Even then I kept it on the down-low.

I've read bits and pieces of the storm thread as it was unfolding.

Don't take this the wrong way because I have a lot of respect for your knowledge of speakers and sound but I don't pay a lot of attention to a lot of the more technical stuff beyond maybe some refurbing or repairing to bring a speaker back to life. While I do find it interesting, the technical stuff that you do is way out of my league my friend. So I'll just kick back here, listen to my music on these old speakers and leave all the measuring sound waves and such to those that are qualified

RJ

PS, I'm halfway deaf anyhow from 8 years in the military and a lifetime of loud music in small spaces and not wearing my earplugs at work. I can make just about any speaker sound good to me by using the volume and tone controls.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Hey, Bigstereo,

Way to go, Lad!! It's pays to have patience, I guess, eh?! When you have had a chance to enjoy them, I'd love to know how you like your new "Biggun's"! Congrats, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    Thanks. Yes it's kind of trippy the way that this happened.

Carried them upstairs by myself and listened to them a little bit last night. So far I like them a lot. Wow! These baby's can get loud. First pair of horns for me. Wow!

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by bigstereo View Post
    Thanks. Yes it's kind of trippy the way that this happened.

Carried them upstairs by myself and listened to them a little bit last night. So far I like them a lot. Wow! These baby's can get loud. First pair of horns for me. Wow!

RJ
    Hey, RJ,

I can see you doing that, now! I did much the same thing with our L300's, back when we bought them, and carried them up our long stairs by myself! Even though I'd removed the woofers and compression drivers/horns, those Big Boys just about killed me getting them up here!! But, it was well worth it! Same thing when I carried the 4645 cabinet, that Grumpy sold me, up those same stairs! MAN, is that stuff heavy!! I haven't had a chance to finish hooking that one up, yet, but love just looking at it.

To me, a good horn-loaded system has a "live" sound to it that I've never experienced with cone-only systems. I've felt that way since the very first good horn-loaded system I ever hear, and now, MANY years later, I still feel the same way. Of course, a poorly done horn system can sound horrible. But, properly done, it's "music to my ears"! Have fun with you new Altecs, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (Happily and blissfully satisfied with his L300's!)
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

:-) would you spend 4k on a system today? just for the speakers?

For what it is worth to answer the question how much is that today

Your $552.00 in 1967 turns into this
    http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation...=552&year=1967

Value: $3,939.70

Annual Inflation: 4.18%
    Total Inflation: 613.71%

the HT systems of today rarely even come close in dollar values then again the technology has become a bit cheaper to build ;-)

Thread Information