Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altec Flamenco I need your opinions

Altec Flamenco I need your opinions

Anyone own a pair of these? Let me know your opinion of their sound/performance.
    How much power can these things handle? I know their rated at like 50 watts but how much higher could one safely go? I know that someone will probably say that they are good with tube gear but I have no tubes.
    Is there a large jbl model that these come close to as far as the way they sound? Say maybe a 4333 or L200?

Any comments/opinions will be greatly appreciated.

RJ
    ps Oops. Sorry, I guess I posted this in the wrong section, please move.

I think Flamencos are very good speakers; excellent dynamics and clarity, low distortion and almost SOTA upper bass and midrange.

I don't know how much power they can handle but with 50 watts steady into them they'd be VERY loud.

Don't worry about the jaspers who say you have to use tubes with Altecs and other horns, they're wierdos and don't signify. With a good sounding amp Flamencos will sound good be the amp SS or tube.

IMO they sound better than most any JBL I know including L-200 and L-300 but then I favor Altecs a little over JBLs.

Mind that most of what I've expressed here is my opinion, not objective fact.

Low watt High watt ....whatever ya got

You don't have pump tons of power thru those Flamencos for them to sound good
    on the other hand ...50 watts continuous musical power is extremely loud
    for those speakers. and excellent sounding as well.
    I have a few amps and recievers, but one of my favorite combos is a Lafayette LA-1500 TA reciever thru my Valencias (similar to Flamencos)
    I guess my point is.. a decent receiver should be sufficiant
    As for JBL v Altec comparison .. hmm ..can't say :dont-know
    for me it depends on my mood, I love to listen to my JBLs most of the time (these days). But when I'm in the right mood i'll crank my Altec Vals and be in another realm entirely

Altec 846A Valencia
    JBL 4410
    JBL 4411
    JBL 4412
    JBL L36 Decade

Thanks guys

I'm going to look at a set tonight. Ever since I heard a pair of 4333a's, I wanted my next set of vintage speakers to have 15" LF drivers. I only have 12's and 10's currently. I like loud, so these will probably work out for me. I will be juicing these boxes with either a Phase Linear 400 II, Onkyo Integra M504, or my beloved Sansui 9090db.

Thanks for your input guys

RJ

Where did you find the pair?

Are you going to view the ones that are currently on eBay?

I have a pair of 846U's...best pair of speakers I have had the pleasure of listening...If you enjoy that "big - concert" sound, you should grab them!

[quote=Storm]

"If you enjoy that "big - concert" sound, you should grab them!"

Yea that's it ...nice big - "concert sound".......
    and if your into sound track style music the 846s really support the dynamics in a way all their own...IM(Humble.. not being subjective)O

The BIG concert sound

[quote=mbask]
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm

"If you enjoy that "big - concert" sound, you should grab them!"

Yea that's it ...nice big - "concert sound".......
    and if your into sound track style music the 846s really support the dynamics in a way all their own...IM(Humble.. not being subjective)O
    Yup, I do love that Big concert sound.
    Not too sure if my neighbors are gonna be too happy about it though. RJ

I have a pair of 848A's that I bought in 1967 and have been using ever since. They serve as the main speakers for my home theater system. I have had four different receivers in that time, all solid state, and have had no problems. Currently, I am using a Yamaha HTR-5460 which delivers 100 watts per channel into all five channels. Believe me, these speakers will be driving you out of your house if you get even close to 50 watts of power. They contain the same speakers as the A7 VOT, but in a house-broken cabinet. The cabinet is a modified bass reflex enclosure with the port being formed by setting the HF horn back of the front of the cabint, leaving a gap around the edge of the horn. The acoustical phasing of the two speakers is accomplished with the XO.

In 39 years, I have never seen a need to buy anything else other than add-ons such as rear, center, and sub-woofer.

Just be careful about how good they have been cared for.

bo

I'm assuming that you bought the 848's new. Do you happen to recall what you paid for them back in 1967?

RJ

I bought a complete system from a mail order house in NYC in 1967. The system included the Flamenco ensemble (including matching equipment cabinet & tape drawer), a Sherwood receiver and an Ampex 2153 tape deck. The Flamenco ensemble listed for $1065 + $32 for the drawer. I received about a 20% discount on the complete system, so I paid around $552 for the two speakers alone. I wonder what that would be in today's dollars. I have attached a 1967 price list just for curiosity. Everything is gone except for the Flamenco ensemble. --Henry
    Attached Images Attached Images  

clmrt

Did'nt get em

Flamencos on ebay
    Yes, I was trying to get a look at the ones recently on ebay, contacted the seller who, as it turns out, only lives about 5 miles from me. I talked to him on the phone on Sunday, and he was out of town, but would be back by 10 pm. So we agreed that I would call him on Monday afternoon 5:30ish and set up a time for me to see the speakers. Well, lost story short. I called on monday and no answer, left message, no return call. So auction ended at 1:06:02 our time on Wednesday morning. I bid on them anyways and ended up high bidder at 1:06:01 am $510.01, reserve not met. I was thinking maybe he would contact me and make me a deal. I sent him a message through ebay asking if he was going to relist them and no reply. Still have not heard from him and speakers not yet relisted.
    Oh well, try again next time I guess. It kind of burns me up because these were close and I could've picked them up myself.

RJ

nodim2

Smile

I have a pair of 846As purchased new in 1968 for $333.00, mail order from New York City (don't recall the store).

Quote Originally Posted by bigstereo View Post
    Flamencos on ebay
    Yes, I was trying to get a look at the ones recently on ebay, contacted the seller who, as it turns out, only lives about 5 miles from me. I talked to him on the phone on Sunday, and he was out of town, but would be back by 10 pm. So we agreed that I would call him on Monday afternoon 5:30ish and set up a time for me to see the speakers. Well, lost story short. I called on monday and no answer, left message, no return call. So auction ended at 1:06:02 our time on Wednesday morning. I bid on them anyways and ended up high bidder at 1:06:01 am $510.01, reserve not met. I was thinking maybe he would contact me and make me a deal. I sent him a message through ebay asking if he was going to relist them and no reply. Still have not heard from him and speakers not yet relisted.
    Oh well, try again next time I guess. It kind of burns me up because these were close and I could've picked them up myself.

RJ
    Two and a half years later...
    I bought these speakers today from the very same guy that had them on ebay in 06.

Hey, Bigstereo,

Way to go, Lad!! It's pays to have patience, I guess, eh?! When you have had a chance to enjoy them, I'd love to know how you like your new "Biggun's"! Congrats, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Thread Information