Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Horn Recomendations for 1.5" Drivers

Horn Recomendations for 1.5" Drivers

I am looking for horns that can load 2431/2435 for an 800Hz crossover point. I am looking from something along the lines of the Array horns or the 9800.The Tads are too expensive and the 2352 is too big. Could always do a 3 way but wanted to use the compression driver down a bit lower.

Rob

http://www.ddshorns.com/catalog.php?page=products

http://www.ddshorns.com/catalog.php?page=CFD1570Pro

Call and talk to him. Knows his stuff, and they're nice horns.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...895&#post88895

Gotta drill the flange for 243x; they just fit using stud mounting.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    The Tads are too expensive and ...
    TAD no longer sells horns.

I'd seriously consider an Edgar Salad bowl or someone else's round tractrix horns.

Widget

Could always do a 3 way but wanted to use the compression driver down a bit lower.
    I am guessing that you mean a three-way with the 1.5" driver crossed over at a higher frequency... in my opinion on the right horn they will do 800Hz better than they will do 18KHz, so if I were thinking about three-ways I'd be adding a tweeter.

Widget

I quess what like to do is get my hands on a pair of Array horns! Wishful thinking!!

Thanks Zilch on the links I will have to go through them.

Hey Widget

No I am talking 3 way no tweeter. My active set-up has 2435's with no tweeter and it's fine for me at least. One of these days I should give one a try though just to check it out. I have heard the Edgar Horn Tractixs and that's not what I am going for. So far with the PTH the only issue I see is the low end loading. They measure well and subjectively sound fine as far as their upper extension goes. You have to remember I like the 2344 and was fine with a little off the top and switched the 2435 in as a replacement. This horn and driver combo are actually a bit better up top and sounds more natural to boot.

Rob

I have heard the Edgar Horn Tractixs and that's not what I am going for.

Rob
    Why not?

Hello Mike

No slight I really liked them but when I was at the demo it seemed they had defined sweet spot. I like it a little less defined and wider with smooth power response, in the room.. I guess I am used to the 2344 and like that. That seems to work better for me in my listening room. I like an open sound and don't like hearing things change if I shift in my seat. I also don't always listen on axis and the balance doesn't change all that much off axis, at least not like the 4344 which is much more directional with much tighter control. It's one of those things. The new 100x100 PT waveguides share this with the 2344. It a personal preference is all. I have every thing toed in as it is anyway so in the chair it doesn't matter. Hey my impressions are from the MAF. You guys who have them at home, what's the deal?? Am I FOS on this or what?? What do you guys get in your living-rooms???

Rob

I quess what like to do is get my hands on a pair of Array horns! Wishful thinking!!
    Have you heard them? I would need to hear them for myself before I got too excited about them... don't get me wrong, I am thrilled that JBL has produced them and is paying attention to this market segment, but all that aside, without actually hearing them, I'd keep them in the maybe category.

This horn and driver combo are actually a bit better up top and sounds more natural to boot.
    Play Steely Dan Katy Lied and listen to the cymbals and the chimes on your system in your avatar and then listen to the 2435... and tell me the highs sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    Why not?
    Ditto!

Edit... saw your post to Mike...

Widget

Hello Widget

Have you heard them?
    No and with their distribution system I probably won't. Since GT uses them at home in his system, based on his other work, that's enough of an endorsement for me. I would take the risk on that one.

Play Steely Dan Katy Lied and listen to the cymbals and the chimes on your system in your avatar and then listen to the 2435... and tell me the highs sound good.
    Either the 2344 or the top end on the 4344's can't match the XPL's. That's a given. That is also why I keep 2 separate set-ups and a couple of speaker pairs up and running. I enjoy listening to them. No single pair can do it all and the 4344's I have up now do the chimes better than the 2435 PTH1010 set up just like they did with the 2425/2344's. It's not just about one strength or weakness it's the whole deal that matters. There are other aspects of the 2435/1010 combo I like quite a bit. As far as adding a tweeter maybe but right now that is not in the cards. I wouldn't argue your point about 800 vs. 18K. We all know there are issues above 10K with these drivers.

Ditto!
    As I explained to Mike.

Rob

Rob,

If you could mate your driver to an adapter of the right proportions the 2397 might be very interesting.

Ian

Hello Ian

Can a 2397 get down that low??? I figured they were a 1K-1.2k horn looking at measurements. I was thinking a 2108 as the mid but would rather run the 2435 lower and see what I get.

Rob

baffled

Back in the early 80's a local genesis clone band ( their sound man is a forum member ) used 4 of the 2397's crossed at 800 with the stock 2440 alum dia's. The trick was to add a baffle to the top+bottom to load them. They were splayed ( as if 140 wasn't enough ) and it was outstanding.

I think that's mentioned in one of the older horn tech manuals.

My small PA uses the 2450SL / 2332 array horns along with the 1400PRO and they sound great no matter the volume. There is just no substitute for large diaphrams.

sub

ps - I have (8) of the DDS 1.5-70 horns in storage.

P-Audio claims PH-316 is good down to 500 Hz.

http://www.paacoustic.com/Product_De...oductID=PH-316

You're welcome to try them, but you'll hafta send my NL200t3 protos back.

Guido likes 'em w/2435HPL.

[Geez, they're makin' one poo pot of horns, now: http://www.paacoustic.com/Product_li...CatalogID=0117]

norealtalent
    Rob, I've been running 2435's on Smith's with a Cannon Sound 1 1/2"-2" for 2 years. I've a-b'd them side by each with 2441's. 2435's are awesome on Smith's. So are the 2441's. IMO, a Smith can't be beat. When you mate a 2435 with the 1 1/2 -2, the resulting throat is VERY similar to that of the 2441. You're not that far away, maybe we can set up a weekend audition. I can bring several combos of Be's w/ 2397's for some measurement and critical listening. I'm sure you'll like the combo.

Quote Originally Posted by norealtalent
    When you mate a 2435 with the 1 1/2 -2, the resulting throat is VERY similar to that of the 2441. You're not that far away....
    That certainly seems to be the case with the large-format neodymium 245x drivers. The 1.5" versions appear to be the 2" ones minus the throat, i.e., the driver exit at the phase plug is actually 1.5" in both cases. Details on what's up with that are in the Optimized Aperture white paper:

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/tn_v1n21.pdf

Thread Information