Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY 4320

JBL 4320 internal dimensions needed, please.

Although a JBL 4320 project is discussed elsewhere on these forums,
    http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...ead.php?t=9796
    I can't find the internal dimensions mentioned (especially porting and duct length details) anywhere in the thread, so could some kind soul post the internal and external dimensions of the JBL 4320/5 please?

Cheers all,
    Woofer.

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer
    I can't find the internal dimensions mentioned (especially porting and duct length details) anywhere in the thread, so could some kind soul post the internal and external dimensions of the JBL 4320/5 please?

Cheers all,
    Woofer.
    Sorry for the delay - I've blown out my back recently and am not likely to be taking those puppies down off the shelf anytime soon! I'd love to help you out tho, so with any luck over the coming weekend I'll get a tape measure and measure port length and ID for ya ... I'll post it in the main thread to be consistant with that data ...

If I can, I'll measure box outside dimensions ... from all I can see, they are just basic JBL 4505 enclosures ...
    http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...highlight=4505
    which is pretty much the same as what the 4333 is built with (if that helps).

But, as I said - I'll try to at least get you port ID and length specs soon ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hjames
    Sorry for the delay - I've blown out my back recently and am not likely to be takin' them puppies down off the shelf anytime soon. I'd love to help you out tho, so with any luck over the coming weekend I'll get a tape measure and measure port length and ID for ya ... I'll post it in the main thread to be consistant with that data ...

If I can, I'll measure box outside dimensions ... from all I can see, they are just basic JBL 4505 enclosures ...
    http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...highlight=4505
    which is pretty much the same as what the 4333 is built with (if that helps).

But, as I said - I'll try to at least get you port ID and length specs soon ...
    You are so kind. I thank you very much.
    ... and thanks heaps for that link.
    I had no idea they were (almost) the same thing.
    There's no hurry for that info I asked for, so please take your time.
    Mine is a long term project, so there's certainly no urgency.

All the best,
    Woofer.

hjames I've managed to come up with a possible solution using some very antiquated Mac s/w called MacSpeakerz, and using approximate box internal dimensions, (which you can see from the pic below), I think I may have come up with a workable solution.
    Although, no matter how I try, I can't seem to get the box tuning any lower than about 40Hz at -3dB, (using two 4 inch ports at 3.6" in length), which would be about right I s'pose for the 2215. (but pretty flat otherwise all the way up to at least 1K.)
    I'm curious to know how far off I am now, so when you get around to it, I'll be very interested in your measurements.
    .... but, like I said, there's definitely no hurry.
    I was just bored and on a roll.

A renewed plea for help: 4320 Ports specs.

It's been a while, so I'm making a renewed plea for help regarding the 4320 box with the 2215 speaker, especially the correct dual port specs.
    (please see my first post)
    I can only guess what they might be, but I would definitely prefer to hear from an OWNER that may have the 'proper' JBL measurements handy.

Cheers all.

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post

Cheers all,
    Woofer.
    I took a tape measure -
    Box dimensions - 30" tall x 23 3/4 wide x 20 1/4 deep
    The top and bottom "lip" extends 3 1/2 from the baffleboard
    Measured through one port from back panel "inside face" to front face of baffleboard is 15 1/2"

Mine has dual ports - 4 inch ID, 7 /1/4 deep

Its still up on the shelf, can't lift her down for teardown and more inner dimensions, but what else did you want to know?

Before I started with the upgrades, they were 2 way 4320s -
    4502 Enclosure
    2215 15" woofer
    2420 MF driver - 2307 (short) horn - 2308 lens
    3110 Crossover
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I took a tape measure -
    Box dimensions - 30" tall x 24 3/4 wide x 20 1/4 deep
    Measured through one port from back panel "inside face" to front face of baffleboard is 15 1/2"

Its still up on the shelf, can't lift her down for teardown and more inner dimensions, but what else did you want to know?

Before I started with the upgrades, they were 2 way 4320s -
    4502 Enclosure
    2215 15" woofer
    2420 MF driver
    3110 Crossover
    Thankyou thankyou thankyou....

You have covered just about everything I needed to know, (especially the port specs.)
    I'm pretty sure the thickness of the sides/top/bottom/baffle and back are covered elsewhere, so I'll have another look shortly.

I am truly grateful.

Thankyou thankyou thankyou....

You have covered just about everything I needed to know, (especially the port specs.)
    I'm pretty sure the thickness of the sides/top/bottom/baffle and back are covered elsewhere, so I'll have another look shortly.

I am truly grateful.
    I measure the exposed lip thickness as 3/4 inch -
    would that be 5/8 plywood with veneer on two sides? I know when I had it apart before I was surprised to see it was plywood - maybe the particle board boxes came later?

According to the Ed May history page it came out in '68:

In 1968, Capitol Records had approached JBL for an update to the D50SMS7. This would become the renowned 4320. The power handling on the D50 was restricted by the low 500hz cross-over point. Integration between the drivers was also compromised by this cross-over. Ed designed the 4320 with a new 800hz cross-over that significantly increased power handling while providing both flat axial and power response. Where the D50 gave JBL a foot in the door in the studio market, the 4320 made JBL an established presence. Shortly after its introduction, the 4320 became Capitol's standard main monitor. For the first time there were also significant sales to record companies beyond Capitol.

I measure the exposed lip thickness as 3/4 inch -
    would that be 5/8 plywood with veneer on two sides? I know when I had it apart before I was surprised to see it was plywood - maybe the particle board boxes came later?

According to the Ed May history page it came out in '68:

In 1968, Capitol Records had approached JBL for an update to the D50SMS7. This would become the renowned 4320. The power handling on the D50 was restricted by the low 500hz cross-over point. Integration between the drivers was also compromised by this cross-over. Ed designed the 4320 with a new 800hz cross-over that significantly increased power handling while providing both flat axial and power response. Where the D50 gave JBL a foot in the door in the studio market, the 4320 made JBL an established presence. Shortly after its introduction, the 4320 became Capitol's standard main monitor. For the first time there were also significant sales to record companies beyond Capitol.
    That raises some interesting issues.
    Which Horn did they originally use to accomplish such a low crossover point?
    I was under the impression that the Horn/lens arrangement was based around the H91/2307 Horn which from what I've gathered so far is recommended at 1k2 and useable to 800Hz.
    Does this mean that it will go down to 500Hz on a 2420 comfortably?
    I know I cross mine over at 500Hz sometimes, and I feel it makes a remarkable difference, but it usually is at low level SPL. Sooooo much more vocal prescence. Maybe a little too much at times, so I just roll back the x-over point back up to the 1k area. (the advantages of bi-amping and a variable x-over eg: Crown VFX-2). I'm not that keen on what comes off the cone with 2215's around this region, but that could be totally due to the boxes they're currently in.
    Until I get the proper boxes built, I'm having to persevere with my 2215's mounted in a pair of 4530 J-Bins but they just don't quite sound right. (they do from the next appartment though, according to my neighbour!) I need something much more short throw for bottom end, and I'm sick to death of having a whole pile of assorted drivers sitting loosely on top of the boxes. It's time to tidy up.
    Oh to be living in the USA. I've seen so many empty original boxes go on eBay for next to nothing. A little TLC is all it'd take.

Anyway, I'm rambling again, so I'll say thanks again Heather.

George.

...well there ya go!

.... and upon your clue, (D50SMS7) therein lies the answers.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...967-d50sm7.htm

I took a tape measure -
    Box dimensions - 30" tall x 24 3/4 wide x 20 1/4 deep

Interestingly, my 4505WX 4325s (2216) are all the same dimensions, except 1" narrower. Also dual ports, same size.

When removing the 2420s/2307s from them a couple of weeks ago, I remember asking myself if the longer horns would fit. The answer was "No way, I don't think." The net inside depth is 14-3/4", the baffle being 11-ply 3/4" stock. What depth is required for 2308/H92 + 2420/LE85?

That raises some interesting issues.
    Which Horn did they originally use to accomplish such a low crossover point?

I was under the impression that the Horn/lens arrangement was based around the H91/2307 Horn which from what I've gathered so far is recommended at 1k2 and useable to 800Hz.

Does this mean that it will go down to 500Hz on a 2420 comfortably?
    No.

That's the reason S7s sound "Horny."

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Interestingly, my 4505WX 4325s (2216) are all the same dimensions, except 1" narrower. Also dual ports, same size.

When removing the 2420s/2307s from them a couple of weeks ago, I remember asking myself if the longer horns would fit. The answer was "No way, I don't think." The net inside depth is 14-3/4", the baffle being 11-ply 3/4" stock. What depth is required for 2308/H92 + 2420/LE85?

No.

That's the reason S7s sound "Horny."
    Understandably so when dealing with a front load box, but I as yet have the luxury of experiencing that due to the fact that I've got J-bins, and the mids are very forward off the 15" and sound downright ugly sometimes, so I guess I'm not noticing the 'horn' effect as much as I would with a 4520 type box.
    Interesting to note your boxes are narrower than the ones previously mentioned though.
    As far as the H92 goes, I think I read somewhere that they're from the L300/4333, so how deep are they?? I thought a 4333 was 'almost' the same as the 4520, but I guess not. I'm getting lost quickly..... and there's just sooooo much info, and only one lifetime to read it all.
    (BTW, there's a pair of H92's on eBay if anyone's interested.)

Interestingly, my 4505WX 4325s (2216) are all the same dimensions, except 1" narrower. Also dual ports, same size."

Interestingly enough - thats the size mine measure this morning!

Box dimensions - 30" tall x 23 3/4 wide x 20 1/4 deep

Must have fooled me, laying on their sides up high like that ... sigh ...

Sorry!

Thank you for rechecking, Heather.

So, 4502 and 4505 are the same size box with same size and number of ports. Perhaps someone here knows what it all means/meant.

I'll load some 2235H's in 'em and see how they measure. I'm betting very similar to L200s.

Some new parts coming from JBL to make them into killer two-ways.

[That's my "thing" here, you know.... ]

Thank you for rechecking, Heather.

So, 4502 and 4505 are the same size box with same size and number of ports. Perhaps someone here knows what it all means/meant.

I'll load some 2235H's in 'em and see how they measure. I'm betting very similar to L200s.

Some new parts coming from JBL to make them into killer two-ways.

[That's my "thing" here, you know.... ]
    Its a GOOD thing that you have, working with the boxes!

Somewhere down the line (next year perhaps) I'll look for a set of 2235s to replace my 2215s with - but other than paying the shop for my "new" amp's repairs today, (and some crossover updates) I think I'm done buying big parts for the year.

Thread Information