Thread: Looking for some suggestions on tube amps / receivers for JBL L-100's

Looking for some suggestions on tube amps / receivers for JBL L-100's

I have been running my L-100's with my Fisher X-101-C and I am just not happy with the sound. Any recomendations from the board on a good tube amp or receiver to match up with the L-100's for my bedroom stereo.

My X-101 will be up for sale or trade BTW.
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

'Bee,

Are you sure it isn't just the L100's?
    Seriously, I hooked a pair up to a Naka (stasis) integrated and it's a "pretty good" combo. Of course, this is in a bedroom set up and the room is much smaller than my main listening room. I put the same speakers on the Threshold down stairs and it sucked! Strange...I chaulk it up to room acoustics.

"Bedroom" set ups cannot be taken as seriously as the main one. Perhaps you'll just have to live with certain shortcomings- especially in the bedroom.... (pun intended)

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBEE
    I have been running my L-100's with my Fisher X-101-C and I am just not happy with the sound. Any recomendations from the board on a good tube amp or receiver to match up with the L-100's for my bedroom stereo.
    No, but I've been running my L112s in my bedroom with a Crown D150 for twenty years or more. Tube front end (Mac C20) but that's only because I hate not to power-up the old tubes frequently. It sounds better with the Soundcraftsmen DX4200. I know, you want tubes, but the Crown 150 and 300 series are pretty darn cheap and quite plentiful while you're looking for the right tube amp. Then you'll have a basis for comparison! This D150 is what replaced my Fisher SA1000 if that's any help.

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    'Bee,

Are you sure it isn't just the L100's?
    Seriously, I hooked a pair up to a Naka (stasis) integrated and it's a "pretty good" combo. Of course, this is in a bedroom set up and the room is much smaller than my main listening room. I put the same speakers on the Threshold down stairs and it sucked! Strange...I chaulk it up to room acoustics.

"Bedroom" set ups cannot be taken as seriously as the main one. Perhaps you'll just have to live with certain shortcomings- especially in the bedroom.... (pun intended)

My wife and I are very accustomed to my "shortcomings" in the bedroom. I had the L-100's in the living room running with several mid-fi solid state receivers and my Fisher 500-C and they sounded way better.
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBEE
    My wife and I are very accustomed to my "shortcomings" in the bedroom.....
    Dude, you might want to edit that while you can.

Since you didn't qualify your budget, let me make a suggestion. Check out these Cucrio mono-blocks on ebay (item# 290022552873. Don't know what they'll go for, but at this point they are inexpensive - reserve not yet met.

I built a set similar to these and can attest to the sound quality. You can also read about them on the CAE website. These things are unbelievable! I have mine in a tri-amp configuration and use them to drive L100s. You wouldn't be disappointed. These mono-blocks will hold their own against the best of the best. You will however, need a preamp.

I have about $3K invested in mine. Whoever buys these is going to be very surprised and happy! Just the board set from CAE is $1K.

Not only will they make life better in the bedroom, you may find that Mopar actually goes a bit faster!

Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldy
    Dude, you might want to edit that while you can.

no, MY member...
    BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING.

Thread Information