Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL DSC 280. Anybody got one ?

JBLGUY

JBL DSC 280. Anybody got one ?

Hey you JBLer's

Is anyone else out here using the JBL DSC 280 Processor too. I use one would like to get feedback on it from other users. Or how about the JBL DSC 260. the little brother to the 280. I ilke it once I got it figured out and setup correctly.

I'm using a BSS Omnidrive Compact Plus FDS-366t. I think the JBL units are actually made by BSS (another Harmon company) and are very similar. I love my unit because of it's versatility and great sound. It's what makes it possible to easily combine different drivers seemlesly without being an expert crossover designer. The digital EQ is great, and doesn't have much in the way of any ill effects. The digital delay allows one to mount all the drivers on the same baffle, and still align them sonically.

RIP 2009
    I've got the JBL DSC260A and a DBX Driverack 260. The DBX is far more intuitive to use, at least for my needs, (live bass guitar). I plan on incorporating the DSC260A down the line for a custom home stereo setup I'm working on.

John

Think I Got 6 of Them

Early ones were BSS388.About a year into production JBL changed some of the specs on the componets so they were no longer identical to the BSS.

These are compleatly different critters than the 260 and the sound is different between the two units.

There are better sounding digital unit availiable.Than what has been mentioned so far.

Oldmics

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmics
    There are better sounding digital unit availiable.Than what has been mentioned so far.
    Now THAT was carefully written!!!

My experience(s): digital EQ's =

You might get away with them in a live FOH application (but it shows distain for your audience... ) or on the monitor mixes (they can never hear the wedges anyway... ), but if you take the time and A/B against a quality 31-band analogue unit, you'll be amazed at the audible difference - even in FOH. Audiphile app's are even more problematic.

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

My recent Digital experience!

As always, its up to the individual what pleases them, and sounds good to them!

Since im going to be trying a BSS 366T Compact Plus, Ill reserve judgement till after I see what I can do with it.

scottyj

JBLGUY
    Well my only experience is on my own setup and I am very pleased. I would have to say I agree with Stevem on everything he said. Very versatile and sound awsome. As far as passive Xover's go I wouldn't trade this for any I have heard.

I might add that I used a pair of JBL/Urei 5547A 1/3 octave EQs for years. When I went to the BSS unit, there was no going back. At the time, I was listening to 4430 clones with DIY copies of their crossovers using large gauge air-core coils and PP caps, which sounded very good. When I biamped the system using the BSS (at 48 db/octave), I was amazed at the improvement. I know everyone's tastes are different, and sometimes you can become "allergic" to a certain aspects of reproduced sound, but for me, in my room with my equipment, this unit has given me the best results. As always YMMV.

JBLGUY
    Yes Stevem Me too. This system has never sounded better and seems to outshine my Buddies setup wihich beleive me is no small potatoes but not multiamped like mine or yours. He know he need to mutiamp the sytem but need a little extra cash for this big upgrade.
    Here's a picture of his !8 inch corner cabinets ( For sale Actually )

They sound superb
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote from JBLGuy

"Well my only experience is on my own setup and I am very pleased."

And thats all that matters !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just respectfully request that an open mind be kept so that as things progress in the world of technology you can try other pieces in your setup and evaluate them.

The journey for audio-nirvana is a long trek
    Oldmics

JBLGUY
    Well said Mics

JBLGUY
    Hey by the Way, is that little picture of the two Paragon's your system ? If not where did it come from. Sorry if you have had to answer this a thousand times

Well,It Used To Be

Those were items that I did have and sold about two years ago now.

So now I only have

2-Paragons (consecutive serial #s)
    2-Hartsfields (toploaders)
    2-Bel-Aires (leftys-Damn JBL Dawg)
    2-Minigons (1 with wood slats and 1 with grill cloth)
    7-Harlans (many different speaker systems)
    1-Metregon(150-4C speakers,375 drivers,075 tweeters)

Thought I would post a picture of why they call me Oldmics

JBLGUY
    Well that makes sense now. Bel-Airs ?anypics ? I can't remember what they are. Always love pics

Ask and You Shall Receive

Not a great shot-but you get the idea.

The grill is removed on the left side unit to show it"s componets

Thread Information