Thread: JBL C38?

JBL C38?

What are a pair of these worth and do they come with different sets of drivers?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dylanl
    What are a pair of these worth and do they come with different sets of drivers?

Thanks
    Depends, and yes. Normally they came with a D130 and often with the 075 added. Sometimes with a 12" D123 instead. They're usually worth whatever the drivers bring on Ebay since most folks won't want the old cabs but then I've seen the aluminum legs bring $100 a set, too. I much prefer the larger C35/37 myself. There was even a thread here once about using the C38 as a sub-woofer enclosure.

A plethora of systems were available. Look at the catalogs in the library for the years '55 to '70. Some years, 10 systems were offered. The past year, they have sold on eBay for 400 - 1500 for a pair.

So not worth buying? I currently have Khorns and Altec 19s? I thought they had a 15" driver in them?

So not worth buying? I currently have Khorns and Altec 19s? I thought they had a 15" driver in them?
    Sometimes. Shall I quote myself? The D130 is a fully-instrumented 15" speaker. Often the 075 ring-radiator UHF transducer was added and crossed using the N2400. As Phil H. noted, there are probably a dozen possible combinations from that era. Have you looked at them yet? Worth is in the ear and wallet of the beholder.

-Phil M.

So what are they worth from a monitary value

So what are they worth from a monitary value
    I've re-read this thread and I just don't see where you've given anyone enough information to answer your question in anything other than a facetious manner. I've not even gotten to that level of involvement. Assuming you're of at least average intelligence, or better (like everyone else I've met here), why don't you help us out a little with a description of the goods?

I don't post much here so I guess I am not of average intelligence I haven't seen the 38s yet and don't now the specifics on drivers. I have tried to find out on my own on the internet what I should expect upon inspection but with little avail. I had hoped some of the aces here could give me a general idea from a cost standpoint since the seller wants to know what I would offer before arriving.

Sorry that I've gotten you to this level of involvement. Don't worry about a facetious mannered response the onus is now on me.

You win I quit

As the other Phil mentioned, there are at least nine possible systems installed in a C38 enclosure. Some components are more valuable or sought after than others. Here are links to what was available in 1969:
    Page 30
    Page 31

Tell your seller what you have learned here, that you can't know what you might offer until you know what's in them, since they were available with a variety of systems installed.

Most commonly, it was the 030 system including D130 15" woofer, 075 bullet tweeter, and N2400 crossover. $500 if the cabinets are in good condition....

Thread Information