Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Ring Radiator Cabinets

DIY Ring Radiator Cabinets

I'm Not happy with the results. The shape of the enclosure doesn't look right and the finish doesn't match my L100s. I used Linseed oil and turpentine thinking it would be a match. I now wish I had finished them as I did the sub cabinets (stain & urethane). The shape looks goofy - doesn't compliment the L100. If I can come up with a better design I may try again.

I have a pair of 2402H and 2405. To be honest I can't hear a difference between the two. Guess the hearing isn't what it use to be! For this reason I'm using the 2402H radiators as they look more interesting!

Don
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hello
    Do you have the crossover/highpass filter housed on the enclosure? The build and finish quality of the enclosure look fine but I would say it maybe a little large. I have seen some people that use an external tweeter on a system use just a open external frame to set it on top of the cabinet. Think kinda an L shaped piece of bent aluminum painted flat or semi flat black with some felt or small rubber feet to keep it from scratching the speaker cabinet.

Mike Caldwell

Mike, There is less than an inch between the 2402H and the sides of the enclosure. The radiator has quite a large diameter. I can't make the cabinet any smaller; only larger. I considered making it the same width as the L100, thinking it would look more balanced.

I have the metal "L" brackets that support the tweets. That's what I used prior to building the enclosures. Just felt they looked "unfinished", and wanted to dress things up.

I run a tri-amp (DBX 234XL active crossover) setup so there is no x-over in the cabinet.

I'd like to see what others have designed for this.

Don

I like the C41 design.
    It would still be a tight fit for a 2402H, but you could get a little extra clearance by removing the magnet cover.

The veneer work would be a little tricky.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...-c41/page1.jpg

For a tight cabinet you really want the alnico versions. They are much smaller and an easier fit in tight places.

Rob

J.A.F.S.

Oil Finish

Hipo - those cabs look great! Very nice joinery. If you want the finish to look more like the mains, I would suggest using Tung Oil with some dark walnut stain in it.

You will need to get the stain loading right - so start with a little stain in the Tung Oil and apply it to the back of the cabinet. Let it dry overnight and observe the results. If it isn't quite dark enough, add a few more drops of the stain to the Tung Oil and repeat. I use extra fine Scotch Brite pads as applicators - they open up the wood again to allow complete penetration of the oil. This process is finicky - and requires a degree of patience. The bonus is that scratches in the oil finish are easy to repair.

hope this helps...
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

The C41 looks more like what I had in mind. It would work if I use the 2405 radiators.

Tim, thanks for the tip. Tonight I'll mix in some stain and experiment.

Don

Run the grain horizontal on the face....

Quote Originally Posted by John W
    I like the C41 design.
    It would still be a tight fit for a 2402H, but you could get a little extra clearance by removing the magnet cover.

The veneer work would be a little tricky.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...-c41/page1.jpg
    I like it too, but it would be a bit tricky to pull off. Here is a photo that Gary Wolf posted earlier this year.

Widget

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    that is a nice looking little cabinet....

is it actually concave? os is that an optical illusion?

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv

is it actually concave?
    That's why it would be a bit tricky to pull off...

Widget

The more I look at the C41 the less I like it. It has too much of an art-deco (50's) look. I don't think it would be too difficult to make the triangulated veneer. With all the wood work I've done I've strived for a contemporary/vintage (retro-modern) look.

What do you think of something like this? Keep in mind my L100s and subs have the blue foam grille.

Hello
    I did not notice the 2402H the first time as for the needed
    size of the cabinet!
    I like the look of the C41 enclosure but the compound angles would be tricky, working with the small pieces wood would help make it easier.

Mike Caldwell

The box needs only to be 4.5" tall. Remove the "tire" and kerf out inside for the magnet clearance.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Dis...dels/2402H.pdf

Again, run the grain horizontal. Vertical like you've shown only serves to accentuate the height, contrasting with the horizontal of the L100 top.

Talk to a short woman. She'll know the drill....

Zilch, you're absolutely right about the grain direction. I rotated the box ninety degrees and it looks better. The overall shape is now similar to the L100 and the grain does look better. However, I'm still not happy with the overall design. When I get time I'll make a new set for the 2405 ratiators. They are significantly smaller. With time I may come up with an appealing design. It needs to compliment the L100.

At this point I have more tweets then ears. also have a set of 035ti. Was going to use them in the L100s but decided the cabinets are far too nice to hack up.

Thread Information