Thread: Dickey Betts...

Dickey Betts...

...is still using D120Fs.

There are two theories to arguing with women, but...neither has worked.

Yeah, he makes them sing pretty sweet too. Dickey Rocks! I just listened to the Great Southern lp yesterday, too, one of those that puts me in my spot.

How many JBLs and Altecs do you reckon were toasted by Dickey and the Bros over the years?

Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldy
    Yeah, he makes them sing pretty sweet too. Dickey Rocks! I just listened to the Great Southern lp yesterday, too, one of those that puts me in my spot.

How many JBLs and Altecs do you reckon were toasted by Dickey and the Bros over the years?
    Probably not as many as most people would imagine. After a while, you get a feel for about how loud a speaker can go before it gives up.

Hey Harv, did Jim Marshall ever buy any speakers from you? Or any British amp builder?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton
    Hey Harv, did Jim Marshall ever buy any speakers from you? Or any British amp builder?
    Jim Marshall really wasn't around at that time as a factor. And no, nobody in England was interested in JBL, untill later, when Tom Jennings showed Vox my sound system for "The Trip" and that became the Vox Churchill, I believe.

Hi, folks. New to the forum. You know, Duane Allman was very partial to JBLs. He replaced the green backs in his Marshalls with JBLs and cut ports in the back covers in order to get a more mellow and less focused high end and less of that "speakers on the edge of distruction" sound. I don't know what the specific JBL components were.

Bob

Hey Bob, welcome.

I had heard about him cutting the rear baffle for a more "open" sound but never have seen a pic of one.

Pity the poor roadies who had to lift those things.....ow ow.

SteveW

Bobs' web site

All the guitar players here have a new 'must read' site. http://www.in2guitar.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton
    Hey Bob, welcome.

I had heard about him cutting the rear baffle for a more "open" sound but never have seen a pic of one.
    Yeah, I found out about that after I discovered I liked ported baffles more than closed for guitar, but it made me feel good about my choice. I saw a pic of one... He basically cut the corner off the back cover. Thanks for the welcome!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW
    All the guitar players here have a new 'must read' site. http://www.in2guitar.com/
    Thanks for your kind words!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW
    I second that motion, Steve

Welcome, Bob....very cool site you have.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Check out the cover of "LIve at the Fillmore"...Front cover, gear before show...back cover, guy's kickin' back..blown out JBL D-120 on the ground....go look.....Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinkerman
    Check out the cover of "LIve at the Fillmore"...Front cover, gear before show...back cover, guy's kickin' back..blown out JBL D-120 on the ground....go look.....Tim
    Mmmm.. not to be argumentative, but if it's before and after, they did the show without their gear. Only the snare case moved, and it only in angle. The band is on the front. The roadies are on the back. But you are right about the speaker.

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

Thread Information